• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 and heavy bullets

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
I have a Rem .243 CDL 24" with a 9.125 twist and i want to get some heavy bullets and shoot long 700 to 1000yds. What will it shoot, i can get Hornady 105 BTHP or 105 A-Max. Will it shoot them or do i need to look at other bullets? A little help please from you that shoot a .243

Re: 243 and heavy bullets

anything between 70 (600 yard) to 107 w/105 being very popular.

I shoot an 87-gr. V-Max using Ramshot TAC powder in a blown-out 6BR. This is running a little better than 1/2-MOA for 5 shots at 425 yards. No problem nailing prairie rats at 550 yards. You might give it a try; it seems to offer accuracy out of proportion to its cost. And with the larger case you have, you should easily get the velocity without the pressures my load develops.

Cheers,
Richard

People have had mixed results with the 105 grain amaxes with the factory Remington 9.125 twist. You may just have to try a box out and see what happens.