• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 AR10 Build?

JaneDoe

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Ashland, VA
I went into the gun store yesterday looking for a used Remington 700 for a 243 build I have been thinking about and came home with a stripped Eagle AR10 lower.

I know Armalite use to make these in 243, but has anyone here done this recently? What problems have you run into with functioning? Did you have to modify the buffer or buffer spring or make adjustments to the gas port to get it to function correctly? I am familar with barrel makers for bolt action rifles, but not for gas guns, who makes a good AR10 barrel?

I like the ballistics of the 115 DTAC and think this could be a great all around rifle.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or insight on this.

Tim

Re: 243 AR10 Build?

Here are my thoughts. (scary I know) I think the reason you dont hear more about ar's in 243 Winchester is because of the 243wssm. You can get better performance in a smaller lighter weight rifle, compared to the ar-10. Those ar 10's are damn heavy and big!! dont know if there is any truth to what i just said, but i think there might be some truth there?? Lee

You can order a matched bolt and barrel from Krieger barrel Co.Then hire a gunsmith that has done 243 in the large frames before.The gunsmiths usually get a discount if they buy from Krieger on a regular basis and you will be reasonably assured that everything will work right if you use a reputable gunsmith.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can order a matched bolt and barrel from Krieger barrel Co.Then hire a gunsmith that has done 243 in the large frames before.The gunsmiths usually get a discount if they buy from Krieger on a regular basis and you will be reasonably assured that everything will work right if you use a reputable gunsmith.

Steve </div></div>

This is the direction I am leaning, will talk with Krieger and Rock Creek this week to get their input and maybe the group buy. I know Krieger has a good name in the M1A/M14 circles but don't hear much about them here. What is the consensus on their barrels?

Thanks,
Tim