• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 Barrel Length?

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Would a .243 or 6mm at 24" or less suffer a velocity price and still have good velocity with 107's or DTAC 115's?

Re: .243 Barrel Length?

243 and 6mm are fast, but you will lose some velocity by shortening the barrel. Probably not enough to make a negligible difference. 25-50 fps per inch shorter, I believe to be the accepted amount. As long as done correctly accuracy shouldn't suffer as long as the cut and crown are done right. I have a 20inch 243 factory heavy barrel in the safe I have not got around to having installed, but was supposed to be a shooter. I might let it go, PM if interested, save your barrel. If you don't like it go back to yours. Cheaper than buying another, unless yours is already custom.
wink.gif

Mike

Would it be twisted fast enough for the 107's or 115's

Its whatever the factory twist is, probably not, I think its 9 1\8, May be more suited for 95's but have heard of the working fine for some. You might need more like a 8 twist. Haven't done alot with the 243 yet, so I cant comment for sure.

Mike

I wouldn't get a .243 that is supposed to be for long range with a barrel under 26". Better to have it longer and get the most velocity you can. Mine has a 7.5" twist 27" barrel and shoots the 115 DTACs great.

Agreed Rob, didnt know what distance he was shooting, and was trying to save him from chopping a barrel, then realizing he didnt like and having to purchase another.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't get a .243 that is supposed to be for long range with a barrel under 26". Better to have it longer and get the most velocity you can. Mine has a 7.5" twist 27" barrel and shoots the 115 DTACs great.</div></div>

Ditto

I just had a 6mm Rem built by GAP. George recommended a 27" 7.8 twist for the 107's and 115's.

Yeah,
Long range, just kinda tired of carrying long barreled rifles, but if performance at distance suffers that much then 26 would be as long as I would want to go if I was to run one.