• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.243 bullet weight vs. barrel twist rate?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
I'm considering the purchase of a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243 Win., and Remington puts a 9 1/8" twist rate on their barrels in this caliber. What is the heaviest bullet that this twist rate will stabilize effectively, and what is optimum bullet weight for this twist rate? Will is handle the 100-105 gr. bullets? Thanks.

what is optimum bullet weight for this twist rate?

There is no such thing as an optimum bullet weight for a particular rifling rate. I see that a lot coming from AR shooters that know nothing about finding an accurate load for their rifle.

There is, however, a few loads that perform particularly well in a specific rifle.

Which all means that you just can't buy (or reload) any ol' cartridge in the correct caliber with the "optimum bullet weight" and expect it to shoot well.

You gotta put in the effort to either develop a few loads that your rifle likes, or be prepared to do a lot of factory load testing to find the same.

i was running 90g Bergers in my old 1-10, it wouldn't do a 95g, but you should be able to run the 95's if you hop them up a bit.

xdeano

There is no such thing as an optimum bullet weight for a particular rifling rate. I see that a lot coming from AR shooters that know nothing about finding an accurate load for their rifle.

There is, however, a few loads that perform particularly well in a specific rifle.

Which all means that you just can't buy (or reload) any ol' cartridge in the correct caliber with the "optimum bullet weight" and expect it to shoot well.

You gotta put in the effort to either develop a few loads that your rifle likes, or be prepared to do a lot of factory load testing to find the same.

This post is a little misleading. Yes, you have to do some load development, but the twist of the barrel has to be fast enough to stabilize the bullet you're shooting, and not so fast as to make it go *poof*. (Granted, bullets don't generally *poof* easily...). Hence, optimal bullet weight.

In other words, you will NOT be able to get a good load with a 115gr DTAC, 105 Berger, or 107 SMK in a .243 Win from a 1:14" twist, no matter how well developed your load is.

I'm shooting the 105 amax in my factory 700

They are working very good for me.

With h1000 my velocity is right around 3100

This post is a little misleading. Yes, you have to do some load development, but the twist of the barrel has to be fast enough to stabilize the bullet you're shooting, and not so fast as to make it go *poof*. (Granted, bullets don't generally *poof* easily...). Hence, optimal bullet weight.

In other words, you will NOT be able to get a good load with a 115gr DTAC, 105 Berger, or 107 SMK in a .243 Win from a 1:14" twist, no matter how well developed your load is.

There is an desirable range of weights for a given twist, but there is not an optimum, singular bullet weight for a twist.

The optimum bullet weight for X twist is fiction that repeats itself most often in AR enthusiast forums like arfcom.

You can shoot the 105 amax if you push it fast enough. My factory barrel would work well out to about 300 yards.

I had really good luck with bullets at or under 100grs. I didn't push as fast as Justinbaker so, mabye, that is/was my problem. Speer grand slams 100gr would hit a pop can(soda can) at 300yds 4 out of 5 shots(my son driving) off a bench. Rem 700 BDL.

I'm shooting the 105 amax in my factory 700

They are working very good for me.

With h1000 my velocity is right around 3100

What brass and how much powder to get 3100? I'm at 46.5 in WIN cases and that gets me 3050 from a 27" Brux and 45.5 grains from Lapua cases gets me the same 3050. I'm also at 4600 elevation with DA normally around 6000 to 7000.

What brass and how much powder to get 3100? I'm at 46.5 in WIN cases and that gets me 3050 from a 27" Brux and 45.5 grains from Lapua cases gets me the same 3050. I'm also at 4600 elevation with DA normally around 6000 to 7000.

hornady brass with 46.9 grains and magnum primers 5300 elevation