• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 cal. 1--12 twist barrel

Re: .243 cal. 1--12 twist barrel

I have a 12 twist .243AI. It shoots the 70gr TNT and the 75gr VMax great with tiny groups.

If you are shooting long range, then the 105 or 115gr would be better with the 8 twist. If you are shooting 500 yards and under at dogs, then the effect of the small bullet is great and the rifle shoots like a laser.

Hope this helps

Thanks Chad.. I am buildig a .243AI and am just trying to figure out a good load. I have always had great luck with the Vmax bullets in my 22-250 and am hoping for the same in .243.. Do you have any "pet" loads I might try!! Thanks a lot.!!ipscmaster

start with 42 grains of R15 and work up (using the 75gr vmax.)

you can also try R17. But 17 worked better with the 105's in my 243AI.

I honestly can't remember the exact load I used for fire forming, but I know it was the 70gr TNT bullets over a stiff load of Varget. This gave me consistent 1/4" to 1/3" groups at 100 yards and 300 yard shots on PDogs were a given.

I just finished fire forming my rounds and I'm going to use a slower powder with the 75gr VMax to see how things turn out. I'm hoping the slower powder will give me more barrel life. I'm hoping to get to the range in the next couple of weeks and work out a load. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

If you have more questions, let me know.