• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 dies for 308?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I'm having a hell of a time finding an S-Type neck sizing die from Redding in 308. Everyone is out of stock.

Would it be incorrect to simply buy the same die in 243 or 260 Remington instead and use 308-sized bushings?

Re: 243 dies for 308?

I'm don't think that would work. The bushing only contacts the neck, not the shoulder, so I'd think they would have to be different.

edit: neck size, didn't read that carefully...I have no clue, disregard this post lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this set in great shape I'll sell you for $150 shipped.
    but I don't have a 308 right now so I can wait a couple weeks for them to come in.
    Jason </div></div>

No .308, thats like not having any front teeth....how you gonna eat corn on the cob
    grin.gif

You have to adjust the die height.

I asked this question a few months ago. Everything in the .308 family is the same until you get to the shoulder. The length along the slope of the shoulder varies with the neck diameter. .308 is the shortest because you hit the wide neck diameter first, .243 is the longest because the shoulder is longer until you reach the smaller neck. This means that height of the neck/shoulder junction above the case head varies.

I played with it a little with some odd ball .308 brass I had to test my idea for stepped reforming to .260 rem.

I use a 308 Redding Comp neck sizer for 308, 708, and 243. Just have to watch because you can get it to low for the 708 and 243 and crush the shoulder but does work well and saved quite a bit of money.