• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 fast twist?

FisherT&C

Competition Rifle Barrelwork CAGE:9SLZ8
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 1, 2020
    Montana
    http
    With the proliferation of 6 creedmoor in production rifles could there be a market for .243 Win. production rifles with 7.5 twist? There could definitely be some good factory ammo with the heavier 6mm bullets.

As an FYI.... I believe that Spark Muntions sells heavy 243 ammo.... 95gr and 107gr
    I did not know that, thanks, I'll have to give them a try. Their 107 data said only 2800 fps in a 26' barrel, I hope their being conservative. I have a 105 doing 2965 in a 24' barrel and I'm only at 97%. Maybe it's a typo.

Doubt it is a typo.
    Handloads in one rifle is VASTLY different than ammo loaded to go into any / every chamber, unknown chamber dims, unknown bbl, etc.
    Custom ammo loaded specifically for an individual’s rifle, load worked up to verify safe pressure is what you’re looking for.

RPR dropped 7.5 twist 243 and offered 6 Creed. I don’t see 243 making a big come back when 6 Creed ammo from Hornady is plentiful, inexpensive and good enough.

Manufacturers can make fast twisted 243 rifles but unless ammo makers start making heavy bullet loads, I don't think those rifles will stick around long enough. You'd have to rely on custom ammo makers like black hills, spark, etc.

By the way, I also don't think the MV listed for spark is a typo. They are loading a general load for everyone and anyone, not fine tuning a custom load for one customer. Anyhow, their stuff is still good. I use their ammo in my 6.5CM and it's pretty accurate, even out to distance.

I think the biggest thing hurting the 243 is the short case mouths and older style shoulder geometry. There are old articles about guys pushing this cartridge, but with the newer 6mms out there I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze with the 243.

So if a guy was going to rebarell a 243 what is best 6mm cart that will reliably feed from aics?

6 Creed - best off shelf ammo selection
    6 XC
    6x47
    Nothing wrong with 243, easy to get custom ammo loaded for your rifle if you don’t reload.

Reactions: DBL Fan and x_789
    I have a 6mm Comp Match (wildcat off ot the 243win) and it's great for speed and accuracy and barrel life..... But it heats the barrel quickly with 49gr of H1000 and it has more recoil than the smaller 6mms. If I had to do it again I would go with the 6mm Creedmoor (so I could have factory loads) or 6XC. Fortunately barrels are like tires so I'll get to change soon enough if I really want to.

Reactions: x_789
    I recall buying factory .243 Win ammo loaded with 115gr DTACs several years ago - Corbon, maybe? It was back in the days when I thought that running CDI bottom metal on a Savage Model 10 topped with a Leupold Mark IV was hot shit, and I've tried very hard to block out those memories :LOL:

Anyways, .243 is an adequate platform for launching heavy bullets if the twist rate is correct... which usually implies a custom rifle, and if someone is building a custom rig, then there are now better options for running long bullets from AICS-length magazines.

I love my 6mm SLR. Pushing 105s at 3050fps on a slow node and up to 3300 on a fast node. I'm using h1000 so barrel life should be a little better than the 6 creed using h4350.

The 6slr is basically an optimized 243win. 30 degree shoulder, long neck, utilizing slower powders for longer barrel life. Ive also used reloaded 26 to get the 3300fps out of a 24" tube.

If you're going to reload the 6slr or 6 comp match are the two rounds I'd go wirh. Factory 6mm, the 6 creed is hard to beat but you'll be replacing barrels, but that's not the end of the world either.

Xdeano

So if a guy was going to rebarell a 243 what is best 6mm cart that will reliably feed from aics?
    Old pos I know but the 6 max!!!!!! It will feed fine and is much more forgiving when you reload them. Regular bolt face for the gas gun guys. Easy to load screamer for the varmint guys.

Manufacturers can make fast twisted 243 rifles but unless ammo makers start making heavy bullet loads,

I disagree. Fast twist rifles can shoot lighter bullets very well as long as MV isn't crazy high and bullets fly apart. Fudds who buy most 243s won't know the difference and won't care.

The Barrett Fieldcraft came with a 7 twist in 243. It shot everything just fine.

Current Tikkas are offered in 8 twist as well.

Reactions: 308pirate
    I disagree. Fast twist rifles can shoot lighter bullets very well as long as MV isn't crazy high and bullets fly apart. Fudds who buy most 243s won't know the difference and won't care.
    The problem is when people that don’t understand the difference put the long bullets in their slow twist barrels and it keyholes. This is why it won’t done with cartridges like .243 win. There are far too many slow twist rifles out there. Virtually all of them.

Reactions: Slides
    I have had an 8 twist barrel made up in 243 as hunting ammunition with match quality brass is available here in bulk tins so I get match quality brass for "free". If however ADI offered creedmoor ammunition I would have started with 6creed. Sane reason they don't sell 6.5 swede or 45-70 factory ammunition loaded to modern pressures.

Edit: and after saying that I pick up sporting shooter magazine featuring a Weatherby 307 243 in 1:7.5 twist.

Last edited: