• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 just over 1000

Gregb

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Hey guys, this is a remington 700 SPS .243 at a little over 1,000. Video is kind of fuzzy it was still hot out here in AZ at the time. Will get a target camera for some more. Just thought that I would post it anyway. It has a Bell and Carlson Stock and a Timney Trigger. Scope is a Millett TRS1. Warne base and rings. Not an extremely long shot but its a .243 and the target is a soda bottle. The other rifle shooting at the steel plate is a .308. We say hit at one point because the rock it hit sounded like a hit but we couldn't see the impact. You can see it much better on the video. Load is 95 grain Berger VLD with 41 grains of RL17. Just a side note: this rifle is for sale in the other forum

1,000 Yard Shooting - .243 2 liter soda bottle--- .308 10 inch plate - YouTube

Those 95 VLD's are a great bullet for a factory twist 700 if it won't shoot the AMAX.
They get downrange fast.

Yea I always shot 90s but then wanted to try it because of the 9 1/8 twist. Have you tried the 105 Amax in that twist?

Yes and it's finicky depending on temp and elevation.
Where I shoot a 243 we are between 4000 and 6500 asl.
Sometimes it works but not worth loading for IMHO.
I think within 1K you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference between the two bullets unless you're a bad ass wind reader.