• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 load for pelt preservation?

IdahoSpud

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I just bought a .243 for my thermal to live on with the hopes of not having to switch between calibers for wolves and coyotes.

What kind of load should I be looking at for the preservation of pelts? More velocity lighter bullet? Heavier bullet with less velocity? I tan all my coyote pelts but I'm far more worried about downing a wolf and blowing a hole out of it.

Anyone have a favorite .243 load? Realistically probably won't have many shots outside of 400 yards.

Not a Hunter but know inside 400 with a 243 speed is going to be something to watch. A bullet that will work at moderate velocity. Ballistic tip?

Reactions: IdahoSpud
If pelt preservation is the main purpose, it’s a 17HMR that you seek. I’ve yet to take a shot over 200yds.

For the 243W take a good look at the 55gn Nosler Varmageddon. I push these close to 3,900 ft/s. You will own everything inside 500 easily. Get your sewing kit ready though, if you punch through you will have a repair on your hands. I’ve gotten lucky and gotten full fragmentation and no exit. I’m not a ballistician so idk what happens. Some are just more “thin” th others?

best of luck! Drop every single one.

The main purpose was to not have to keep switching my thermal and re zeroing.

Coyotes aside- For wolves I should still aim for a tiny varmint bullet hauling ass over say a 100 grain bullet going 2900?

The main purpose was to not have to keep switching my thermal and re zeroing.

Coyotes aside- For wolves I should still aim for a tiny varmint bullet hauling ass over say a 100 grain bullet going 2900?
I took my cues last year w that tiny projo. Also a javilena the year prior.

idk anything about a wolf. We have Mexican Grey Wolf here and they look like a coyote. So much so that we have pictures in the G&F regs.

move seen videos of wolves in Alaska. Big fuckers. I’ll still send that 55gn and feel confidant.