• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

243 or 6br

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
i have a dicks special heavy barrel savage in 243, cant decide if i want to stay with the cartridge or change it to 6br gun will be used for target shooting, and coyote hunting, buddy has a br he built and i like the round but it doesnt want to eject the empty out of chamber/mag area all the time, so my question is if i decide to go to the br is there something i should do to make it eject all the time, also i heard that the br doesnt feed very well out of a detach mag, which is what my savage has, so should i just stay with the 243 or try the br conversion

For as cheap/easy the savage is to change prefit barrels I don't think the 6br would be worth the hassle of mag conversions, etc. Just keep the 243 or switch to 6creed and skip the feeding issues.

Longrangers, I'm not questioning you, I have heard of that kind of wear on 243's before. That being said, I have not had the same experience. My 243 barrel has 1200 on it and is starting to lose velocity but still very accurate. It's probably about done.

I took the br plunge and I am enjoying the cartridge. Part of me wonders if I should have just done 6 Creed or 6XC and not have to swap between mags with followers and without when swapping barrels on my AI as I shoot 6.5 Creed, 308, etc.

For the OP, you already have a 243 barrel. You might as well shoot it until it burns out, you aren't risking anything because you already paid for that barrel. Shoot it out and then decide. I already hate the extraction and ejection on savages anyways, adding a short case that struggles at times in good actions sounds like a nightmare. Save up while you shoot out your barrel, sell that savage and get a John Hancock from PVA and do the 6br right.

I have 6BRs, a 6 Dasher and a 243win. The 6BR and Dasher are silly accurate with no tuning. The 243win is accurate AND it can approach ludicrous speed. The key with the 243 is running a cool powder. N160, N165 or H1000. If you can get one of these powders to shoot, you'll probably get about 2000 rounds from the barrel. If not, look out.

I was a naysayer, as I compete with 6.5x284s and I didn't need another "1000 round of barre life" stick chewing through barrels but after seeing Whidden's barrel life as well as a bunch of 6SLR shooters I know, 1700 -2000 can be had with 243win(and modified 243 cases) with the right powder.

I just bought 150 Peterson 243 small rifle cases for an upcoming rebarrel. Figured why not? Hopefully, I won't need a new reamer...

I would stick with what you have. If you burn it down in 800 rounds, who cares? It's time you buy yourself to save for a new barrel and components should you decide to change chamberings.

im looking into reloading the 243 looking at 87gr vmax, the coolest burning powder i can find locally is win 760

I burned out 3, 243 chamberings, all in approx. 1400 rounds. A Douglas chrome moly & 2 Shilens. They were very accurate for about the first 800 rounds, then started throwing unexplained wild shots with the number increasing to the point they would not hold moa with 5 shots. An increase in copper fouling also became a problem.

Checkout the article on this site's home page, technical articles, concerning overbore cartridges, and note where on the list the 243 is.

One of my 6BR's is now approaching 2000 documented rounds fired, and as seen with my Hawkeye borescope, there is not a trace of firecracking in the throat area.

The 243 barrels started to show the beginnings of firecracking at 400 rounds.

243 is an excellent round if you "need" it. For many of us, the 6BR is all that is needed to punch a hole in a piece of paper with accuracy that is very close to the 6ppc. JMO & experience.
That’s a great synopsis. .243 is a GREAT round with some significant disadvantages.

im looking into reloading the 243 looking at 87gr vmax, the coolest burning powder i can find locally is win 760
I just had Mr Gradous chamber an AI/AX barrel in 6br for me for that 87 gr vmax. Already have two .243 barrels for it, I think the 87gr in 6br out to be a great pdog round. Less crack with a can, almost no felt recoil, see impacts a bit better. Haven't decided on a powder, varget looks promising.

Most of your BR based ‘improved’ chamberings will get you in the same neighborhood of 243 performance while keeping some of the benefits of the BR. Check out the Dasher, BRX, BRA, etc. and see if one of those might suit your needs a little better.

Unless your looking more than 800-1000 yards every shot the 6br is the way to go.
You can dump powder with a measurer not even by weight ant it will still shoot in the .3 range.
If you take your time and reload you will shoot in the .2 consistently.
There's a reason there are more 6brs on the 600 yard benchrest line then anything else.

If your into chasing ballistics there is always something better....

And 6br lapua factory ammo is better than most people handload (well really most people don't take the time and they suck,lol)

Had a 6br spun up years ago for my AI. Haven't switched around in a long time.

I burned out 3, 243 chamberings, all in approx. 1400 rounds. A Douglas chrome moly & 2 Shilens. They were very accurate for about the first 800 rounds, then started throwing unexplained wild shots with the number increasing to the point they would not hold moa with 5 shots. An increase in copper fouling also became a problem.

Checkout the article on this site's home page, technical articles, concerning overbore cartridges, and note where on the list the 243 is.

One of my 6BR's is now approaching 2000 documented rounds fired, and as seen with my Hawkeye borescope, there is not a trace of firecracking in the throat area.

The 243 barrels started to show the beginnings of firecracking at 400 rounds.

243 is an excellent round if you "need" it. For many of us, the 6BR is all that is needed to punch a hole in a piece of paper with accuracy that is very close to the 6ppc. JMO & experience.
Do you have a link to the article? I can't find it.