• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .243 Spin Drift??

sam1700

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Alice, TX
does anyone know the spin drift on the .243 remington express core-lokt 100 gr. PSP? Velocity is 2960. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Re: .243 Spin Drift??

How far you planning on shooting with those bullets?

Honestly, there are much larger factors you'll need to worry about than spin drift.

Wind drift, drop, and range estimation far outweigh spin drift.

I would like to try and get them out to 1000 yards just for the sake of trying, but i mainly just use them for deer hunting and I wouldnt try to take a deer out past 200 or so yards. So my main reason for inquiring about spin drift is curiousity.
smile.gif

Ok here's what you do, loosen your ring caps and rotate to the scope left 2.891567 degrees, now retorque to 15 inch pounds your caps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA,

monkey.jpg
</div></div>

Here we go again!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here we go again!!
</div></div>

OK the first time it was fun, but now it is getting out of hand. Looks like Chad has pointed them in the right direction.

Having shot the .243 many, many times to 1000 and never worrying about anything but the wind and still making hits my advice is this....worry more about the wind and forget about spin drift.

For me, I am more worried about wind drift than Coriolis effect. If I can exactly call the wind at a 1000 yards and consistently hit the target and if I am still off by 1-2 MOA at that distance from POA, then I would worry about the Coriolis effect. JMHO

I am not saying that it doesn't exist, but the wind is going to buckle your POI, more than the spin drift.

thanks for all the great information guys! its greatly appreciated!

wil, I had never heard anything about reading mirage until I found snipers hide. how accurate is it? i have yet to even try it because right now i have a real crappy scope.

...spin drift is that phenomenon that allows you to spin about on your bar stool numerous times ,,,stop and still grab your moosehead

ford vs chevy bro..

I like to look at mirage downrange rather than wind flags or other stuff... if I can see it...

to each their own

Boiko you crack me the hell up man..

I can do exactly 25 revolutions to the right in rapid form and still grab a pint & pound it.... I tried 50, but that god funny real quick...

this was 'dizzy izzy' style with the baseball bat & a few British Royal Marine Commando type folks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sam1700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had never heard anything about reading mirage until I found snipers hide. how accurate is it? </div></div>
Very. Sometimes the wind flags will be going one direction, and the mirage will be going the opposite direction. Hold for the mirage!!

I think Im going to buy a couple dozen copys of "Modern Exterior Balistics" by Bob McCoy and sell a copy to everyone who ask about spindrift on this site in the future.If were going to be tortured like this on a regular basis we might as well make some money along the way...

Buck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sam1700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had never heard anything about reading mirage until I found snipers hide. how accurate is it? </div></div>
Very. Sometimes the wind flags will be going one direction, and the mirage will be going the opposite direction. Hold for the mirage!! </div></div>

1+ for that. I look at my Kestrel 4000 to see my wind, but the mirage will be the deciding factor on the windage. Also, it helps with the God forsaken heat in the desert, so seeing mirage is not too difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeterN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a dead calm day my 243 shoots 1/4- 1/2 MOA to the right at 1000yds.</div></div>

Dead calm and shooting 1000 yards don't go together. There is always wind especially where the bullet is flying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...spin drift is that phenomenon that allows you to spin about on your bar stool numerous times ,,,stop and still grab your moosehead </div></div>

That is classic! I'm stealing that one! I will give proper credits though! ROFLMAO!

sorry to tell you but a 243 winchester will not shoot 1000 yards.only the bullet will....

That bullet only has about a .36 bc. 1000 is really stretching the possibilites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sam1700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone know the spin drift on the .243 remington express core-lokt 100 gr. PSP? Velocity is 2960. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!</div></div>

To answer your question...

(remember to exercise your spin drift passions you need a twist rate, bullet length, bullet weight, correct atmosphere data, velocity & caliber)

Let's say it's a Rem 788 with a 9 twist barrel, at Alice, TX with the current atmosphere.

11.7" @ 1000yds

if it's a 10 twist

10.3" @ 1000yds

You got 1 other problem, that bullet looks to go subsonic at 950yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sam1700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone know the spin drift on the .243 remington express core-lokt 100 gr. PSP? Velocity is 2960. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance! </div></div>

Get out and shoot. It'll develope your own known data or DOPE. Zero your rifle at the desired distance and go back to 100 yards and shoot again. Elevation and windage adjustments will show up, record the same.

This thread is 3+ years old....The OP hasn't made a post on this website in 2.5 years.