• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 243 to 22-250

new_guy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
USA
Can I rebarrel a 700 in 243 to 22-250?

I know the bolt face is okay, but what about the feed rails?

Re: 243 to 22-250

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question is, why would you want to lol? </div></div>

prairie_dogs.jpg

grin.gif

I'm building up a dedicated p-dog rifle, and found a good buy on a 700 in .243. It's a '73 in "as new" shape, but the thin barrel has to go. The 22-250 seems like the logical dog choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: new_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question is, why would you want to lol? </div></div>

prairie_dogs.jpg

grin.gif

</div></div>

From that, to this, 22-250 is a fantastic choice!
675A0055.jpg

Go with the Ackley version for even more fun. 50gr Ballistic tips at 4000fps.

If your building it for p-dogs that I might suggest the 22BR. It will burn a little less powder and still give you almost the same fps as the 22-250. Down side is brass will cost you more but the good thing is it will last a loooooong time....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 is my favorite caliber for varmints
smile.gif
</div></div>

Mine too
wink.gif
. I'm having mine changed into an AI (with a new barrel) very soon in hopes of being able to push bigger bullets farther. I also despise trimming brass for hundreds of cases at a time.

OP- You will find as I did that the .22-250 is a great p-dog round, although it tends to heat up the barrel in about 5 shots. Then there's the trimming thing to consider.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AI reduces the frequency of trimming. </div></div>

I've read that, but isn't the trade-off fire forming?

With regular annealing (3-4 loadings), how many loads are you guys getting from the AI brass?

I got 5-6 w/ win. brass on my .280 AI with hot loads. Primer pockets started opening up after that. Tight custom chamber.