• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 vs 6mm Crusader

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Hello all,

I'll be doing a barrel for my AX shortly. I was planning on .243, then 6mm Crusader caught my attention. The research I've done suggests that the .243 will be the way to go, but I wanted to bounce it off you guys in case I'm missing something.

115 grain BN coated DTACs at 3150 FPS is the goal.

.243 Win Pros/Cons:
+Lapua brass available, no fire forming required
+No magazine mods required to seat 115's the appropriate distance
+Should be able to get me to 3150 FPS out of a 28" barrel
+GAP has a 7.7 twist blank in stock
-Doesn't have the powder capacity of 6mm Crusader
-Doesn't have the velocity capability of 6mm Crusader
-Potentially shorter barrel life than 6mm Crusader

6mm Crusader Pros/Cons
+Easy to hit 3150 FPS with no pressure
+Capability of hypothetically hitting 3300 FPS
-Fire forming is time consuming and eats into barrel life, with the additional life being eaten up by the forming process, give or take
-Magazines need permanent mods
-No Lapua brass
-Seems to be that the accuracy node of DTACs is at 3150fps, and that they start to shoot like shit above that
-Really needs a 9-8 gain twist to optimize, not sure if GAP has a blank in stock and want this barrel done ASAP so I can shoot it this summer

For those who have faced this debate themselves, please give me any insight you may have, as I could still change my mind at this point. The 6mm Crusader seems "cool" but the .243 should get my job done, with less work, so it still seems the sensible route, unless i am missing something (the purpose of this thread.)

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: .243 vs 6mm Crusader

bob,

go with what your gut tells you otherwise you will end up wondering about it for months and then end up doing it anyways. i know your style.

If it helps i had the same debate but i ended up going with the 243 based almost solely on laziness i already had competition dies and didn't want to fireform.

I've got both barrels 6mm Crusader @ 27", and a .243win @ 26". Both are from GAP.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either. If your planning on shooting matches with a velocity limit....I'd lean more towards the .243win, if your shooting matches that don't.....6mm Crusader is a BEAST!

When I fireform the loads, the have the same speed/accuracy as my real deal loads, and I am launching both out of my barrel at 3200fps.

Magazine mod for the crusader isn't bad.
Lapua brass....bah. Winchester 6mm is super cheap....and I'm on my 4th firing on my stuff and they still look good!
Accuracy with RL25 for 115 Dtac DN coated is right at 3200 for me.....Rulers at 500+ is not a issue.
As far as Twist etc....just get what George Recommends.

I thought about crusader and went straight 243. Im getting 3130 with uncoated 115's and no pressure. I think I am on my 6th-7th loading on the same 100 rounds of lapua brass with no issues thus far. I have annealed once and probably will again before my next loading. My throat has moved .010 at 375 rounds I have about 672 down the tube now and will check it again and get back to you. I would do 243. Im shooting 3 moa to 300, 9.25-9.75 to 600, 22-22.5 moa to 1k. I am supremely pleased with the gun and the performance of the cartridge to the point of ...what for? when it comes to the crusader. Mine is a 26inch Bartlein 7.5 twist .236 bore chambered with the Gardner spec'd 243 Win Match reamer. And It will win a match.

Won July Fclass match at Capitan NM ( mainly because the 2 guys that usually spank me were shooting at Raton NM that weekend) but usually I am good for a top 3-4 finish overall in both midrange and long range. Zero recoil, zero feeding issues, rounds fit easily in the aics mags (although I single feed in f class). It is my absolute favorite rifle.

46.5 grains RL25
Lapua Brass FL sized every loading
Wolf Large Rifle Primers
115 Dtac nekkid.

My smith is building a 6 super lr for a guy here in town so I am hoping to see what that is capapble of in real life but I can tell you I have seen first hand catastrophic failure of 115 dtacs out of a 6-284 /rl17 with velocity over 3300. I think 243 win will serve you quite well. I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

I don't know why I'm addressing this but here it goes.

Here are your "negatives" for the 243

Why do you need more powder capacity?
Why do you need more velocity when the node attainment is capable with the 243, i.e., you're going to shoot the same node
Why is the barrel life shorter when you have to fireform brass? Sure you can use a hydro die but it doesn't work all the way (yes I've used it)

And how are you going to deal with velocity restrictions with a 6 Crusader? You'll have to download it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why I'm addressing this but here it goes.

Here are your "negatives" for the 243

Why do you need more powder capacity?
Why do you need more velocity when the node attainment is capable with the 243, i.e., you're going to shoot the same node
Why is the barrel life shorter when you have to fireform brass? Sure you can use a hydro die but it doesn't work all the way (yes I've used it)

And how are you going to deal with velocity restrictions with a 6 Crusader? You'll have to download it. </div></div>Mike, that was exactly my point, BUT there seemed to be a lot of guys who like the Crusader, so I posed the question in case I was missing something.

Thanks all, I do believe you have set my mind at ease and I'll be sticking with a .243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me throw a monkey wrench into your decision. How about a 6mm Remington? </div></div>why not a 6mmAI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me throw a monkey wrench into your decision. How about a 6mm Remington? </div></div>why not a 6mmAI?</div></div>

Because if you're going to FF, then it doesn't matter. The 6mm Rem does not require FF.

I bought Atlas Mags for my Crusader, ended up using them on my .308's and now running Accurate Mags (300WSM with adjusted lips) on the 6 Crusader.

You certainly cannot go wrong with the .243 but if you are into speed and don't mind FF'ing, go Crusader.

I think the main question should be...What are you going to do with the rifle/barrel combo? If you will be shooting matches, there will be a velocity restriction. That restriction is usually 3200 fps. This velocity can be attained with the Crusader with literally no pressure. If you will just be punching paper and ringing steel but you want the most out of the 6mm projectile, the win still goes to the Crusader because it can be ran to 3300 or beyond. As far as fireforming is concerned, if you use the Cream of Wheat method or the hydroforming dies, there is no wear on the barrel. If fireforming is a deal breaker, I would go with a straight 6mm Rem over 243 because the added neck length is easier on throats. As well it has added powder capacity and would be able to attain 3200 with little issue. As another note, Lapua brass is not a plus in my book. Yes all the prep work is done for you, but you pay for that work. Winchester brass that has been properly prepped and annealed will last just as long if not longer and will do that while costing a LOT less. Also you do not have to scour the range or match area for that $1 or more piece of lost brass....Just my $.02...Take it for what you paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me throw a monkey wrench into your decision. How about a 6mm Remington? </div></div>why not a 6mmAI?</div></div>

Because if you're going to FF, then it doesn't matter. The 6mm Rem does require FF. </div></div> I take you mean "6mm Rem does not require FF".

I was just suggesting the 6mmAI since he seems willing to FF the crusader.

I'd say the 6mm-08 or 243win.... Lapua brass lives forever, you "could" neck down any 7-08, 308, 260 brass that you got your hands on in case brass was hard to come by, which I seriously doubt would be an issue, but it has the capability... .585 BC rocks for a 115 grain pill smokin out at 3k+.....

6 Crusader: you can use 6mm Remington brass to fire form, if you don't like that, you can use 6mm Remington brass to fire form (unless you know where there is some 7x57 mauser brass)....

to me, the choice is easy, but I'm biased. besides, if you don't like the 243 win, you can punch the chamber on out to a 6 Crusader

Well I’m not trying to hi-jack this thread but I been debating on posting the same question but what about the 6-6.5x47 vs. .243??
How accurate can a 16lb .243 be @ 800 yards???? I too am leaning toward the 243 but I have heard of some case growing issues.

cheytac said:
Well I’m not trying to hi-jack this thread but I been debating on posting the same question but what about the 6-6.5x47 vs. .243??
How accurate can a 16lb .243 be @ 800 yards???? I too am leaning toward the 243 but I have heard of some case growing issues.
[/quote

First, throw away the "heard of some case growing issues" as I have never had a problem with 243 and win brass.

Second, the 6x47 would work but you're inherently dealing with a case that has more pressure for the same results. The Lapua brass is a wash but if you shoot the Win brass (which you should) there is a huge cost savings.

6.5x47 is not part of the discussion because there is no comparison.

I would choose .243 in case I got lazy and wanted to shoot store bought ammunition.

Also, as posted above there are velocity limits in some steel matches. You'll also dimple the shit out of AR500 running a Crusader full throttle at anything but the longest distances.

Good luck

Jerry

The 6x47 wasn't considered because it is a smaller case capacity cartridge, and because it has small rifle primers. I tried running a 6.5x47 in an AW a bit ago to ill effect, for that reason I won't be trying the 6x47.

Steve- ideally competition, but I still haven't found one within driving distance to Maine. That said, paper and steel will be the emphasis, mostly steel though. The whole point was to gain a ballistic advantage over the .308, and the more the better.

Mike- hadn't even really considered the 6mm Remington. I'll have to do some research, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Steve- ideally competition, but I still haven't found one within driving distance to Maine. That said, paper and steel will be the emphasis, mostly steel though. The whole point was to gain a ballistic advantage over the .308, and the more the better.
</div></div>
So then it comes down to fireforming in my opinion. If that doesn't bother you, then go 6mm Crusader. If you don't want to fireform, go straight 6mm in my opinion. Another thing to look at is, the 6mm Crusader will get you to match velocity max with NO pressure. The others will not.

Match velocity max ? Who gives a shit about getting match max velocity with no pressure if the accuracy node is at a lower velocity? I could probably push my 243 harder maybe even hit 3200. It won't shoot moa at 3200 though so it's a non issue for me.

Even tho I want a 243, I have a 6 rem and it has been my go to prarie dog rifle for a long time, can buy ammo over the counter at some gun shops, and still has great velocity. If you wanted to do something a little different, the 6mm Rem is almost never thought about/forgotten for some reason. Not trendy I spose...

And, as previously mentioned, if you have your own steel, you know how it gets beat to heck over time, the hotter you load, the faster the steel deteriorates. And at local matches, they might get mad at you for damaging the targets with ur new laser beam cal
smile.gif

Good Luck,
_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Match velocity max ? Who gives a shit about getting match max velocity with no pressure if the accuracy node is at a lower velocity? I could probably push my 243 harder maybe even hit 3200. It won't shoot moa at 3200 though so it's a non issue for me. </div></div>

Ya my crusader shoots sub moa easier at 3200 with Dtacs....Fairly Certain that was the case for George also.

I made the decision from a 6mmBR to go 243Win.. which doesn't help wrt the OP question..

The reason I'm posting is to recommend that you get the GunSmith to chamber two identical barrels.. b/c if you like the .243 as much as I do.. you be through the first one quickly!

btw: I have a 25.75" Kreiger.. I'm getting 2950fps with 105AMAX, Lapua brass and 40.7gr H4350, WLR primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
cheytac said:
[/quote

First, throw away the "heard of some case growing issues" as I have never had a problem with 243 and win brass.

Second, the 6x47 would work but you're inherently dealing with a case that has more pressure for the same results. The Lapua brass is a wash but if you shoot the Win brass (which you should) there is a huge cost savings.

6.5x47 is not part of the discussion because there is no comparison. </div></div>

Mikes right.

6x47L will burn a barrel out quick if you push the velocities with a powder like for instance R-17.The case itself can handle huge amounts of pressure/heat thus velocity but in the end that doesn't work out to well on the barrel throat.The node for both barrels I went through was around 3070 fps.The brass lasts seemingly forever though.Lost some brass but never a primer. I'm using H-4831/115 Dtacs at 2985 fps in the new barrel.

I would of done a 6mm crusader a long time ago but the matches I go to have a 3100fps velocity cap so I didn't bother.

Try a 6mm Rem because there's a bunch of us that want to see how that works out for you
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bob,

go with what your gut tells you otherwise you will end up wondering about it for months and then end up doing it anyways. i know your style.

If it helps i had the same debate but i ended up going with the 243 based almost solely on laziness i already had competition dies and didn't want to fireform. </div></div>

Damn talking about hitting a nail on the head...

Mike very good point about the 6mm Remington, it has all the velocity of the .243 w/ the slightly longer neck. I would take some time and look at that if it were me.

Hell just take an RCM case and neck it to 6mm! Then go explore the Big Bank Theory.

Oh the smell of burning barrels in the morning!
Gary

I was gonna say 6m/m Remington too. It's my next one without a doubt. Makes too much sense which of course is why too many don't do it.

I'm looking into 6mm Remington as we speak. Other than lack of Lapua brass, is there any downside vs .243? I don't much care about factory ammo, this barrel will never see a round.

Have you thought about 6XC? I went through the same 6mm decision tree and landed on 6XC because it has the nod on barrel life and track record in the LR/XC games.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about 6XC? I went through the same 6mm decision tree and landed on 6XC because it has the nod on barrel life and track record in the LR/XC games. </div></div>I looked into it, but what does it get me that the .243 does not? Is it any more accurate? I know it has a longer neck for better barrel life and should offer better bullet support, but I found this quote from Mike from a few years back that I think sums it up: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243 does everything a 6XC does but better. Shoots the 115 faster, is about as accurate as you can ask a round to be, Lapua brass is less expensive than a 6XC, and there are plenty of accomplished shooters here that have excelled with the 243.

The 243 is a flat-out better round with the 115 DTACs than the 6XC. It is undisputed fact.

6.5 mil to 1K </div></div>
I think that the extra 7 grains of powder capacity will be a good thing, as would be the extra 150 fps. Am I missing something though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
xc is cool but I thought you wanted to avoid forming? </div></div>Only discussing it because someone brought it up. For the sake of discussion though, doesn't Norma sell XC brass, as well as Tubb?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into 6mm Remington as we speak. Other than lack of Lapua brass, is there any downside vs .243? I don't much care about factory ammo, this barrel will never see a round.</div></div>

To get the true potential of the 6mm Rem you might want to go long action.

I chose the 243AI not for extra speed but to avoid the constant need to trim the 243 brass. I'm going to try and stay at 243Win speed with the AI.

Yes the 243AI requires FF'ing but I will just load up a normal high end 243 load and have fun at the range and then I have AI brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into 6mm Remington as we speak. Other than lack of Lapua brass, is there any downside vs .243? I don't much care about factory ammo, this barrel will never see a round.</div></div>

To get the true potential of the 6mm Rem you might want to go long action.

I chose the 243AI not for extra speed but to avoid the constant need to trim the 243 brass. I'm going to try and stay at 243Win speed with the AI.

Yes the 243AI requires FF'ing but I will just load up a normal high end 243 load and have fun at the range and then I have AI brass. </div></div>Good point. How does it feed though? That is the other concern with 243 AI for me, is the potential feeding issues.

Here is a question about fire forming- say my target velocity is 3150 FPS with a 115 DTAC. If I work up a load that gets me there in the fire forming stage, will it be the same with AI brass the next firing, or will I need to adjust it? I know that the .243 case should have enough capacity to get there, I just don't want to toast up barrel life with fire forming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point. How does it feed though? That is the other concern with 243 AI for me, is the potential feeding issues.

Here is a question about fire forming- say my target velocity is 3150 FPS with a 115 DTAC. If I work up a load that gets me there in the fire forming stage, will it be the same with AI brass the next firing, or will I need to adjust it? I know that the .243 case should have enough capacity to get there, I just don't want to toast up barrel life with fire forming.</div></div>

If you are worried about toasting your barrel then use the cornmeal method to fireform (I've done it 3 or 4 times for different ackleys)

If you get a partial fireformed case using the cornmeal method and then load up a load, then the velocity will be very close to the load you settle on.

As far as feeding, I've never had a problem. My newest 243AI will be ready from Beanland next week. I'll be running Surgeon DBM from an A5 stock.

If you're worried about fire-forming using cornmeal and pistol powder don't be. If you decide to do it or want to talk about it PM me. I'll send you my number and can tell you my experience with it.

Reading on cream of wheat forming right now. Seems like a pain in the ass, and I guess if I were going to go through all of that, I would probably go Crusader.

Bob, one thing I keep thinking of is this:
The 6mm Rem seems to be a good choice over the 243 but 2 things,
1 there isnt much data for the 6mm Rem w/ the very heavy bullets I know the speeds would be very close with the same powder charge but my question is would the pressure be lower in the larger case capacity 6mm Rem and by how much b/c that may be the best reason to use it over the 243 (same speeds w/ lower pressure and no fire forming and less stress on the brass)
2 will the 6mm Rem fit in and feed from the AIAW mags with the longest 6mm bullets loaded so not to reduce the case capacity?

These are just the things rolling around in my B H G. If they are both yes the choice to me would be the 6mm Rem.

If you think you might sell it, I'd go straight 243 win. They sell much faster than a 243AI or 6XC etc....

Has anyone tried running the 6mm crusader with a short barrel? If the 6mm crusader pushes 115's at their maximum with such ease, why the long barrel? It seems you could still get max velocity without the 26" barrel. Being able to attain ideal velocity with a more compact rifle would be a plus.
Maybe people are already doing this but everyone that I've seen is a 26" barrel.

Or stop worrying about all that stuff and do this.

On a long action magnum bolt, screw in a barrel chambered for 6.5 Remington Magnum.

Load 140 Berger vld as long as possible to make plenty room for as much powder as you can plant. No worries about coal.

Soon as I shoot up a magnum barrel on mine this is what I'm doing unless I do 7saum and go 180's at 3000fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried running the 6mm crusader with a short barrel? If the 6mm crusader pushes 115's at their maximum with such ease, why the long barrel? It seems you could still get max velocity without the 26" barrel. Being able to attain ideal velocity with a more compact rifle would be a plus.
Maybe people are already doing this but everyone that I've seen is a 26" barrel.</div></div>

My new deer whacker will be from a 22" bbl. Figure it will likely be a signal flare as well, but should be handy.

Have you thought about a 6 SLR? basically it's a 6XC on steroids, same case capacity as the standard .243 but with the much desired longer neck, and it doesn't need to be fire formed.

It can't match the 6 Crusader, 6AI or 243AI for speed, but as someone has already stated that the accuracy node for the 115 Dtac appears to be around 3150-3200 fps and my data with my Crusader backs that up.

Don't worry about COW forming it's dead easy and doesn't take that long to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
xc is cool but I thought you wanted to avoid forming? </div></div>Only discussing it because someone brought it up. For the sake of discussion though, doesn't Norma sell XC brass, as well as Tubb? </div></div>

Norma manufacturers XC brass. Tubb sells Norma brass & seems to be the cheapest place to get it.

The 6mm Super LR looks like an attractive option too. I also like the idea of running the Crusader in a shorter barrel to achieve the same velocities. I was going to go with a 28" barrel, if I could get away with a 22-24" Crusader with 3150, it would be a win/win/win for me and make it worth it to fire form at that point I think. I run a suppressor 99% of the time I shoot, so length is a consideration.

Casey- anything requiring a long action is out for me. I have toyed with the idea of building a super duper wind cheater on a long action AX though, and that might be a possibility down the pike a bit. For now though, living in Maine, it gets a little tough to justify.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure you're not going to have high velocities with either in a short <26" barrel. </div></div>

Ya, I'm pretty sure you need the longer barrel to be able to burn out the powder to get it going fast enough.

Has anyone done any real world testing with a shorter (<24") .243 and the heavies? I extrapolated some load data from around the web and ran then in QL, and it seems that depending on the powder it would be possible to hit 2900-3000FPS with a 22" barrel. Pretty decent speed IMO. Nothing close to that of 3100+, but will still smoke many of the popular cartridges still while in a handy barrel length.

You can fireforming with subsonic loads and its actually fun... <span style="text-decoration: line-through">As far as magazine mods go; Alpha mags solve that and are a lot nicer than AICS mags.</span> <span style="font-style: italic">Turns out 6mm Crusader isn't compatible with them due to one of the ribs interfering with the case body...</span>

If I was looking at something other than the 6mm Crusader, that didn't require fireforming, my choice would be 6mm Super LR. It gives you the advantages of the longer neck and steeper shoulder. All you have to do to create the cases is run 243 brass through the sizing die, something I always do on virgin brass anyway to iron out dings in the necks and make them nice and round.