• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .243 vs. Mulie Buck

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
I went out yesterday for the second time this week in search for a freezer filler. I took my girls last week, but came up only with a coyote at a measly 900 yards. It wasn't in the plan for a yote, so we ended up with an extended nature walk. I posted this over in exterior ballistics, too.

Take two. I was gone hunting for a total of two hours. I have an idea where these guys sit and ruminate after a morning of sneaking and feeding. I came to an opening where I can see a portion of the canyon floor, and spotted him. I lasered him at 435 yards, and had my iPod with the iBallistic HUD program at the ready. 5 iphy come-up from prone and a rear rest made it all too easy. The land owner was gracious enough to help me get him back to my truck using his Bobcat UTV. Dressed out and headless, he was 185 in the cooler. Will finish butchering next week. My cousin was pissed because I ruined the cape on this fat bastard by cutting his neck. He said they are worth $75 to $100. Oh well, next time.
100_6042.jpg

100_6043.jpg

100_6044.jpg

100_6047.jpg

Re: .243 vs. Mulie Buck

Awesome, at least someone is stocking the freezer!

Man, he's got a fat old neck!

I finally got to use the Berger 105 VLD. I used the AR10T. There is a thread where I posted the same thing in exterior ballistics, that goes over the load a little better. I worked up this load about a year ago, just haven't shot anything but paper and rocks with it until now. I was hoping to kill a coyote about 30 minutes before this buck, but he got the better of me. With this Berger touching the lands, It will only hold two rounds in the mag. One in the chamber and two in the mag is plenty. The shooting position and the load and data provided by the iPod made taking this shot easy. I bet my 7 year old daughter could have done it without thinking.

My cousins were freaked out how big the neck on this guy was and how big his feet were too. I thought I had a picture of this guy from last year, but I'm thinkin' it was his brother. I can't tell you how much shit he gave me for wrecking the cape! I had no idea they were worth anything! I'm so stoked that the freezer will be full!

Nice buck ffl...where did you get the ballistic apps for your iPod?

Thru the app store. Just search "ballistic" and you will get a couple of choices. I use the iBallistic FTE. It freakin' rocks! It was $30 or something like that, but WELL worth it. I have an Otterbox case for the iPod and I don't have to worry about dropping it, water, dust or whatever.

Before I am out in the field and still have good cell reception, I call the AWOS at the local airport. (They have an app for that!) I then use those figures to set my GPS, Kestrel, and the ballistic app. I then can use the HUD portion of the app to literally scroll thru yardages, and it gives me come-ups, windage and it calculates difference for shooting angles as well. It's like a handheld spotter.

I was shooting the same rifle and load the other day, and shot a brick at 560 or so. First round center of mass hit. It isn't magic, but pretty damn close.

Thanks buddy...I'll have to try it. I'm not to "techy" but my son can help me with what I can't figure out.

Nice buck, looks like a real toad.

Huntin didn't used ta be like this.................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thru the app store. Just search "ballistic"..................... It's like a handheld spotter.

I was shooting the same rifle and load the other day, and shot a brick at 560 or so. First round center of mass hit. It isn't magic, but pretty damn close. </div></div>

You're right about the "hunt". I hunt on private land, I hunt coyotes and scout the property a ton, so it is a bit like fishing in a barrel. I feel bad for friends of mine who take the whole season off work, spend hours and days walking around God knows where, come up with nothing, and I take an hour or two out of my day and...

I can't see it being much different than hunting in a stand over a food plot though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see it being much different than hunting in a stand over a food plot though. </div></div>

Sure it is, I don't think it's comparable. Spot and stalk then the long shot is awesome. I feel sorry for those reduced to patiently waiting over their bait crop but in some places it that or nothin'. It's all good but some is gooder then others.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see it being much different than hunting in a stand over a food plot though. </div></div>

Sure it is, I don't think it's comparable. Spot and stalk then the long shot is awesome. I feel sorry for those reduced to patiently waiting over their bait crop </div></div>

+1 spot and stalk all the way.

I was comparing the relative ease with which my hunts take place and that of a stand warmer. I feel that spot and stalk is the "hunt" for me too, although it seems like I stalk to my spot and then shoot.

I came very close to going to a relatives cabin and shooting one of the deer off his property with a bow. Same thing I suppose, just less than 20 yds instead of over 200.

Great buck.

To all the spot and stalk snobbery just remember that a deer 30-40 yds from your stand has a lot better chance of smelling and seeing you than a deer 400 yards away...even over a food plot or corn. I do it both ways and both are difficult and require skill in different ways. I know I get away with things from 3-400 yards that I couldn't dream of in the woods hunting a trail/food plot/scrape line, etc. from a tree. Up close and personal is much harder than you guys are insinuating...nothing but full camo head to toe and no movement or human scent will get it done.

thats a very nice buck .
it seems like there might be some whitetail in his lineage somewhere . are there many whitetail in this area ?

There are whitetail deer in the area. I've seen some hybrid bucks and you end up doing a double and triple take trying to figure out just what the hell it is. This one seemed all mulie though. Sinking an arrow into one of the bucks at our cabin would be just as easy as shooting a target < 20 yds. from the back porch.

Thanks! I very nearly could have missed out on this buck, as I was intently hunting down a big coyote in the upper meadow. Had I taken the shot at the dog, I might not have been as fortunate with the deer.

Here's a thru scope pic of what I think might be this same guy last year. Doing the same thing in the same spot incidentally. If it is not him, it sure looks as though they may be related and rather closely at that.
100_0903-1.jpg