• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 Win 10" twist

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
What good bullet chooses would work with a .243 with a 1/10" twist. I would like to shoot the 115 dtac's but I think the twist is to slow.

What do you .243 shooters think? This will be a factory Winchester tube if that helps 24" long.

Re: .243 Win 10" twist

Up to 90 grain bullets would work well. Depending on which 95 or 100 grain bullets you could try, you won't know til you shoot them through your rifle. The longer 95 and 100 grain bullets (HPBT vs SP flat base) would be the hardest to stabilize in a 1:10. You are right on the edge of stability. The 115's would not work.

Yea, That's what thought. I'm looking at the new M70 coyote light in .243 win. Seem hard to get factory rifles with the twist rate comp. shooters like.

I have a 1:9 1/8 twist in my Remy and it stabilizes the 105 AMAX and scenars well. But that is as far and as fast as I can push it to have good stabilization.

To really be able to shoot the 115 well, you need to go to something like a 1:7 twist.

Are there any factory rifles I should look at setup with a 1/7" twist or is this just a custom tube setup.

Not that I am aware of. You most likely have to have it set up. I plan to shoot the hell out of my current barrel and ask George to set it up for a 115 grain. The 105 grains aren't bad at all, unless you are into the F-class and comp. shootings.

Not sure what all F-class stand for but I would want to shoot it out to 1k.
1k would be the farest and everything in between.

My 105 AMAX and Scenars are capable of reaching 1K and even beyond. Loading with N550, I am pushing the scenars at about 3000 fps. It will stay supersonic for a while past 1K. Now, if you are shooting it out to 1K on an extremely windy, then that's a different story.

KHOOKS,

I shoot the 95 gr. Bergers out of All three of my 1-10" twist 6mm rifles, 243 w/25" barrel, 6mm Rem w/26" barrel and 6mm-.284 w/26" barrel. They stabilize out of all three just fine. They've been downloaded to 2800 and up to 3450 in those three rifles.

You'll stay supersonic well past 1k with that bullet. But, like all lighter bullets you'll deal with more wind drift if you have wind.

-good luck