• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 win dpms style barrels

scatterbrains

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
Looking for options for a Maten build,
I have found the AR stoner 24" 1/8twist for $350.

Is this a worthwhile barrel to use? ive looked at kreiger and lilja also. Both of those barrels exceed $500 for drop in products. Most top of the line barrels are in that range ive found.

I am not opposed to paying that much, but if the stoner barrel is good enough to do what i need id rather not spend $500+ till after i have the rifle finished and shot it for awhile.

The plan for this rifle is groundhog hunting primarily but i would like to shoot some matches with it from 100-1000yds. I'd like to be able to utilize between 75-107gr bullets.

Lowest id like to go weight wise is 85gr.

So what are some opinions or other options in the $300-400 range, or should i just save and get a top end barrel?

Thank you

Re: 243 win dpms style barrels

The best advice I have gained from my few years here on the hide is save and pay the little extra for the better option. Pay once Cry once! It will be cheaper on your wallet in the long run.

Re: 243 win dpms style barrels

Yeah thats kind of what im leaning towards, just added up the costs of the build. Thought i was going to have the BIG one LOL.

My local dealer is a kreiger and saturn dealer i just found out whos barrel would be a better option IYO?