• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.243 Win. for long range shooting?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
To go along with my thread on Pac-Nor barrels I'm considering my rebarrel project in either 7mm-08 or .243 Win. The .243 Win. would obviously have less recoil but are there any disadvantages to using this caliber for long range shooting opposed to a larger round like the 7mm-08? Either caliber would be in a 26" Remington Varmint contour. Thanks.

Re: .243 Win. for long range shooting?

Your factory choices:
22-250
250 Savage
260 Rem
7mm-08
338 Federal
358 Win
Plus a ton of wildcats if you reload.

The 7mm08 has alot of good projectile options. Many will tell you the 260 is the way to go and they'd have a good argument, but I'd put a 6mm 8 twist, chamber in 243(ai if you reload) and shoot 105's. Seriously, you'll be glad you did.

Nothing wrong with the .243 Excellent long range caliber. If you do go with it though I would stick with the 105+ grn bullets. In doing so pick your twist for the barrel for the bulelt you plan on using. If you are using the 105-107s then the 8-8.5 twist will work fine. If you plan on using the heavier 115s then the 7.5-7.7 would be a better option to know it will always be stabilized.

I just sold my last .243 and I am in the process of building another with a Manners T3 with mini chassis, Surgeon 591 and 8.5 twist Bartlein barrel. Plan on shooting the Hornady 105 BTHP exclusively.

243 is a very good choice with anything 87 grains and up.
Even better is to Ackley Improve it and shoot the 115's.

We just finished up my brothers 243Ai. It's a great long range gun. Had it to 1230 yards the other day. 105vld Berger's going 3275fps.
Here is a few fun videos of the 243

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hY0w1c-gf18[/video]

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0KY-X1e-Vg&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0KY-X1e-Vg&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks for the advice guys. I've got a .243 hunting rifle and a 7-08 hunting rifle and really like both of them, though the .243 is slightly more accurate. This rebarrel rifle will be primarily a paper puncher that I'd like to shoot long range with but may occasionally be used for hunting. I still can't decide between these 2 calibers, I like them both.

The .243 is a really good choice for an accurate long range round, I've got a factory T3 varmint that shoots 90gr Scenars really well out to about 900 yards - starts to get a bit inconsistent at 1000. When the barrel is shot out I'll put a 1:8 twist in to shoot the heavies.

+1 on the 243AI, my buddy just got done with his and we threw a hand full of clay pigeons on the berm and it was boringly easy hitting them at 730 yards.

It was extremely flat shooting and fast too!

wolf,

how far abouts are you planning on shooting?

what are you going to shoot at?

what it purpose, play, varmints, killing, matches?

If your going to rebarrel I'd look at 6mm remington, longer case neck and slightly more powder capacity. That's what I'm in the process of building.

I love my .243's and I won't part from them for a long time. I don't currently own a 7mm-08 but I'd like to get one because...

There are many great bullets for it. For example, the 162g A-Max is a great precision bullet and will take you to 1400 yards without a problem, further if you study it enough. It's BC is .625 which is outstanding. It doesn't care if it's paper, steel, or fur, it will penetrate what it touches. It's known to take most any game in N America.

So even if your shooting paper at 100 or 1000 yards/meters or feel like hunting PD's or Elk, it does as you command without fighting the wind all that hard.

Depending on the pill and hand loads, recoil can be down to a .243 or .260 (another fine bullet). Bullets types are abundant for anything you want to do.

But if you shoot paper 90% of the time.. the .243 will do the job fine with less recoil. Cost is about the same. A factory .243 barrel from the top manufactures are very capable to launch 105's (or even 107's sometimes) to LR. But you don't need 105's; the 87's get to the dark side often enough.

The only case I see for not using a 7mm is if your hunting small vermints for meat. The 7mm is heavier than the .243 and not much of the meat is going to be left from a small varmint. If that's the case, go with the .243 and you get get down to less than 60g.

.. so many choices so little time.

Reactions: Jimmycee

.. and I don't eat varmints so I don't care.

The 243 shooting 105s makes a lot of sense

I'm just about to have a 6mm Super LR built, I have the reamer and dies, just waiting on the barrel to turn up!!
Going to try a Stiller Tac 30 A/W, 8 twist lilja, AICS stock ( or A1-3 McMillan with M5 DBM), 105 Bergers only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My next build: 6mm Super LR

http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html</div></div> </div></div>

What is the difference between the 6 Super LR and 6mm competition match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My next build: 6mm Super LR

What is the difference between the 6 Super LR and 6mm competition match? </div></div>

I don't know.

Shot my straight 243 next to my friend's 6SLR to 1300 yards last week. From what I've seen, the straight 243 is the shit. No need to fireform, form brass, get wacky size dies, etc. The 243 is just fine as is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too.

What is the difference between the 6 Super LR and 6mm competition match? </div></div>

I don't know. </div></div>

So I pulled up articles on each.

6mm Super LR = 30 degree shoulder

6mm Competition Match = 31 degree shoulder

Super LR is formed by FL sizing .243 brass
6 CM is formed by loading 46 grs of powder and fireforming .243 brass

Both may require neck turning to eliminate a donut.

I have a buddy running the 6CM right now. If he can get 4,000 rds out of the barrel then I will consider it.

107 SMKs at 3,000 sounds tempting if the barrel life is actually there.

Another vote for the 6mm. Just like Remington to come up with something just a tad bigger than Winchester. 300WM-300RUM, 338WM-338RUM. I own both (6mm and .243) and love 'em both for the same reasons. Great projectile choices and light recoil. Oh, and just plain fun to shoot. They'll make the trip if you do your part.

I started shooting a plain rem 243 varmint action and am loving it. Getting out of 308 I like it so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my straight 243 next to my friend's 6SLR to 1300 yards last week. From what I've seen, the straight 243 is the shit. No need to fireform, form brass, get wacky size dies, etc. The 243 is just fine as is.</div></div>

Exactly!

Reactions: Jimmycee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we agree that the AI rounds are more sexy?</div></div> Uh with that rotund 40 degree shoulder? No! 30 degrees is the bee's knees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my straight 243 next to my friend's 6SLR to 1300 yards last week. From what I've seen, the straight 243 is the shit. No need to fireform, form brass, get wacky size dies, etc. The 243 is just fine as is.</div></div>

Exactly!</div></div>

My 6.5 SLR (the 6 SLR is the same concept) should be done in a week. And there's no extra step to loading it over my 260. Run new brass through sizing die, load it and shoot it. The dies are Redding dies just like my 260. No donut as long as you don't use Lapua brass. And it has the words super, long and range in the name - awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Uh with that rotund 40 degree shoulder? No! 30 degrees is the bee's knees.</div></div>

What if you like them both?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Accurate Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We asked GA Precision’s George Gardner why he chose .243 Winchester for his Tactical Comp Gun. He replied, “Why would I run anything else? Think about it. I’m sending a .585 BC 115 at 3150 fps–that’ll shoot inside the 6XC and .260 Rem with ease. I’m pretty sure I have found the Holy Grail of Comp Rifles. There are no brass issues like you can get forming .260 brass. I don’t have to worry about doughnuts, reaming necks–none of that. And the choice in brass is great too–run Lapua if you want max reloads and great accuracy. Run Winchester if you’re on a budget, and so you won’t cry if you lose some cases in a match. I can get 10-round mags, and feeding is 100% reliable, since the case is identical to a .308 except for the neck. Accuracy-wise, I don’t think I’m giving up anything to the .260 Rem or the 6XC.”</div></div>

Heres a quote from that paragraph where they talk to George and i'd have to agree, as RKsimple and Rob said plane jane .243 is absolutely fine. Though i do love AI cartridges with a 30 or 40 degree shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we agree that the AI rounds are more sexy? </div></div>

Yep agreed. I have a custom 243 AI with a 30" broughton barrel. I throw the 105 berger vld's out of mine.

6mm has some great bullets, lots of different cases to launch them with. 243 is easy but not very efficient, 6BR is very accurate but a little under powered. Really like the 6 Dasher, BRX, etc, as they push 105 - 108 class bullets in the 3000 fps range with 33 gr. of powder. 6X47L shows a lot of promise using 115 gr. bullets @ 3050 to 3100. I'm running 7.8 twist and getting great results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me too.

I keep telling you guys 6x47L Rocks. I'm still on my original batch of brass from 4 years ago.
From the looks of things it's going to be many more years till I have to replace them. Pretty stiff loads too for the first couple barrels. I'm on my 3rd barrel now. A small amount of brass I have set aside for load development that all weigh exactly the same have been fired close to 30 times! If the trend continues, which it should since I loaded down a little from previously, I should be able to wear out 10 barrels with this batch of brass.

243,6XC,6SLR,6x47L are all about the same with velocities but 6.5x47L is flat out the strongest case in the bunch even over 243 Lapua brass. Because it has small rifle primer,small PPC sized flash hole,thicker web area and was designed to handle more pressure.

Matt,

What made you switch from 6CX?

Does it have the word "Super" in there? No.
grin.gif

I like the idea of the proven 30 degree shoulder/longer neck with more powder capacity. And I don't have to worry about ejecting Lapua brass into the flagstone quarry.
wink.gif

Maybe extra barrel life with 30 degree shoulder? I don't know.

I think what we can all agree on is a 6mm bullet, 95-115gr around 3k fps is awesome!

243_win_vs_6mm_super_lr_vs_6xc_zwb0.jpg

243 on left, 6 Super LR, and the 6XC. long necks are sexy not big shoulders
grin.gif
if this 30 degree shoulder actually adds to the barrel life, I just don't see anything wrong with this set up. But, I've been wrong before
whistle.gif

Below are videos of a .243 (top vid) using 107 SMK's at 2975 FPS and a 6XC using 107 SMK's at 2950 FPS. Both work very well out to 1000 yards. I like the 6XC better for reason stated above and feel it gives up very little to the .243.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KV8JhG0BOY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KV8JhG0BOY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You know me, I definitely have a inclination for wildcats and yes it is a little painful losing that Lapua brass in the rocks.

I'm missing maybe 40-60 brass ??? from match shooting and such over the years. If I'd only got there before that guy grabbed the push broom last year on the 25 round stage,LOL,rats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think what we can all agree on is a 6mm bullet, 95-115gr around 3k fps is awesome! </div></div>

Definitely!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
243_win_vs_6mm_super_lr_vs_6xc_zwb0.jpg

243 on left, 6 Super LR, and the 6XC. long necks are sexy not big shoulders
grin.gif
if this 30 degree shoulder actually adds to the barrel life, I just don't see anything wrong with this set up. But, I've been wrong before
whistle.gif
</div></div>

6SLR is a sporty looking one for sure!

Anyone got velocity figures for .243 or .243SLR 115grn NON moly, using a 26" barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotch egg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone got velocity figures for .243 or .243SLR 115grn NON moly, using a 26" barrel?

</div></div>

There's info on 6mmAR.com and 6mmBR.com in the 243 Win section, where George Gardner says he was getting 3150 FPS with 115 in a standard 243 win (Moly though) so you should be able to get 3100 and the same with the 6mmSLR.
I can't comment personally my 6mmSLR isn't finished yet

Cheers

I have go with 243win, I own so many and just had Mac's gun works build me one, and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Have you looked into 260's much. I know it wasnt one of your chooses but ive seen them perform extremely well all the way out to a mile at thunder valley precision in ohio shooting the 140 and 142s running at 2950-3000fps. They have the same drop as my 300 wsm shooting 208 amaxs at 1000 yards. Just a though.

can somone post up a pic of these to include 243AI? thanks.