• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 win hunting load...?

Msprink05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
WNC
So ive got an old 243 win im planning on shooting some.. I plan on hunting whitetails with it this fall (some) as a back up and also as something to shoot while the .308 cools. My question is (since im new to reloading) what powder should i buy? And also what bullet recomedations do you have? Hunting and target, hopefully with the same powder. BTW its a pencil barrel savage.
Thanks in advance for the help Matt

Re: 243 win hunting load...?

i would pick between 80g barnes ttsx or 85g barnes tsx

varget, rl-15, rl-17 will work fine

2 years ago i hunted with my 243ai shooting 85g barnes via varget. its a giant killer, i killed 6 or so deer that year and they were all one shot kills 5 dropped right there.

even took it out to colorado and slammed some big bodied mulies, the barnes kill

IMR 4320 with 100gr Sierra Game King. 1" group @200yds wth Wal-mart Rem 700ADL. Loaded some 95gr Nosler Partitions for a Mule Deer hunt and grouped 1 1/2" @ 200 yds. Shot a Mule Deer and he fell in his tracks. Then later shot 2 white tails at home and they melted in their tracks. I put a Texas heart shot on one and found the bullet past his shoulder and lodged in his neck. It went entire length of body and stayed together. Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would pick between 80g barnes ttsx or 85g barnes tsx

varget, rl-15, rl-17 will work fine </div></div>

Hit the bullet on the money. '15 is THE powder too. Varget works OK but I didn't get the velocity from it like '15 gave me.

Best load for mine is IMR 4831 and Hornaday BTSP. Shoots great near max load in Hornaday book. I have shot mule deer with this load and it works perfect.

85 grain Sierra BTHP gameking on top of H380 has killed many many a deer out of my little 243.
The H380 is a ball powder so metering is easy as it gets, and that bullet has allways shot very well for me. 21 bucks for 100 makes them pretty cheap to.
http://www.grafs.com/product/251108

Has anybody had any experience with the ballistic tip bullets? They are considerably cheaper thant the tsx barnes.

I have used alot of ballastic tip bullets in my 270, and had great results on California blacktail. I shoot Sierra GameKing 85gr through my 243 and they work great for most of the things I shoot out here.

I use the 90grn Nosler bt ahead of 36.4grn of RL15.

Just edited to say this;
This load is the accuracy load in the Sierra reloading manual vol 5. I can't complain, it works for me.
If this is incorrect guys, it's because I'm working from memory, and my body tells me it's 03:02 where I am.

This comes out of a heavy 20inch pipe faster than I can run, and it kills deer. Also, I can put that bullet wherever I want out to 250/300m. It is a tack driver, but it has a Moderator on it which takes out all of the recoil.

I don't like the ammount of meat loss due to bloodshot damage. I prefer my 7mm-08Rem with a 150grn Sierra Game King.

Bottom line, the BT shoots well, kills game, but DOES cause meat damage due to blood shot meat. Shooting for trophies?, no worries. But I shoot for meat and resent the loss.

Hope this helps.

Neil