• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 win. Look at my numbers, and let me know where you would go

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
Tikka T3 243 win
KRG chassis
Lapua brass
Federal match primer
COAL 2.79

This will mainly be a thermal coyote rifle, but the occasional deer/pronghorn might not be out of the question. With that in mind, I went with the 90gr ELDX, and H4350. Temperature sensitivity will be very important on this rifle.

It felt like my shooting was off today, so I really didn't pay much attention to groups today. Everything I shot was around 1 MOA once I got past 43 grains. My main focus here is on the numbers. My loads are way hot according to my Hornady book (only lists 95gr bullets), and a little hot on the Hodgon site. I was just starting to see a touch of pressure extractor marks, but not enough I would be scared of it. The primers looked perfect, but I could see the extractor in the right light.

These are 5 shot groups with average, and SD listed. I honestly don't plan to ever shoot past 400 yards, so SD is probably not as important on this rifle as my others.

GR Average SD
42.5= 3072 42.7
43= 3140 10.5
43.5= 3155 8.4
44= 3200 1.4
44.5= 3211 15
45= 3276 16
45.5= 3276 10

Obviously 1.4 SD is pretty appealing for longer range stuff, but with this being a thermal rifle (need flat shooting because ranging is difficult), with max range of 400 yards, and extra 76 FPS would come in handy. Would you

Try 45.7 to see how far that 3276 goes? Try and split the difference at 45.25? Or, go with the best SD at 44 gr? Once I get a charge weight I will play with seating depth a little to work on groups, I will not get closer to the lands than I was today. I'm not jammed, but I'm not far from off.

You are seeing a touch of extractor marks and you are asking if you should go hotter?

No!!!

You think that a coyote is going to know the difference between 3,300 FPS and 3,100 FPS?

If you continue to load to ridiculous pressures you'll end up on about your 3rd firing with heavy bolt lift and loose primer pockets. You won't be able to fix the heavy bolt lift unless you get a small base die.

If all the loads shot 1 MOA then I'd pick one at about 3,100-3,150 FPS and be happy. SD won't matter for your uses.

You are seeing a touch of extractor marks and you are asking if you should go hotter?

No!!!

You think that a coyote is going to know the difference between 3,300 FPS and 3,100 FPS?

If you continue to load to ridiculous pressures you'll end up on about your 3rd firing with heavy bolt lift and loose primer pockets. You won't be able to fix the heavy bolt lift unless you get a small base die.

If all the loads shot 1 MOA then I'd pick one at about 3,100-3,150 FPS and be happy. SD won't matter for your uses.

I can see extractor marks with a flashlight. I can't see the edges of the extractor, I can see a dull spot on the brass.

I do not think a coyote will know the difference between velocities, but at night its not hard to think its 300 yds, and it be 400. A couple inchs difference in drop could be the difference between a hit and miss. I'm good with the 3276 velocity for sure, but if 45.7 showed the same velocity I that would be a nice big node

At 45.5 I am 1 grain above Hodgen book.

Last edited:
Good luck!

Also, at 300 yards 200 FPS means 1 inch difference in drop.