• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 Win Powder/Bullet/Load Ideas for a SHORTY

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
So i just picked up a sweet little mint HS Precision VP (their rendition of Remington's XP-100) that has a heavy 15" fluted barrel. Confirmed with HS this morning that it is a 1 in 10" twist.

I have read that 10" twist should be good to 100gr or so for falt base, 90gr or so for a more VLD type bullet. Also read some hide posts on powders folks are using, but most of the discussions involved rifles with 22-26" barrels.

What powder do folk recommend/use on the shorter 15" barrel. What kind of differences, if any, should I expect on ability to stabilize heavier bullets with the decreased velocity/shorter barrel? Planning on starting with 70-85gr bullet like a Nosler varmint ballistic tip or the like.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

Will

Re: .243 Win Powder/Bullet/Load Ideas for a SHORTY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget or R15 with the 75's </div></div>

^^what he said. Also might try reloader 17, but it is temp sensitive.

Re: .243 Win Powder/Bullet/Load Ideas for a SHORTY

Temp sensitive is an issue for me on my fun rounds as it might be 60 or negative 10 when shoot 'me.

I got a bunch of Varget, think ill start there.

Thanks guys.