• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 Win. Rifle Twist.

WagonbossA

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2022
Osage Reservation
I keep looking at factory rifles in .243 Win. chambering and it seems that they are all barreled with 1 in 10 twist. I understand that that rate of twist is desirable when shooting lighter bullets but I would like to shoot heavier bullets and it seems that to have more desirable accuracy it will be necessary to go the custom route. Has anyone out there been faced with the same delima?

Been that way for years. Lots of 9 1/8 twist .243s out there. If you want to buy a factory 6mm rifle with faster twist get a 6 Creed.

I keep looking at factory rifles in .243 Win. chambering and it seems that they are all barreled with 1 in 10 twist. I understand that that rate of twist is desirable when shooting lighter bullets but I would like to shoot heavier bullets and it seems that to have more desirable accuracy it will be necessary to go the custom route. Has anyone out there been faced with the same delima?
Yes. I got a custom barrel.

Reactions: slowagon
Back when I was looking to first get into this "long range game" I wanted to do 243. I did what you are to do if you are smart, go places and talk to people. First question back was why the hell do you want 243. Well I like it, I think you can say I hate everything new, and it is a caliber that I think has the ability to play this game. Well yea, but if you are just starting out I would not suggest going that route. So many more problems you can face vs going with something that is already out there and has a following.

Then things started to blow up around the house and the next thing I know I spent $20k putting things back together....so no new toys for me.

But I think that advice I got is valid, I still love 243, and I love my Savage 99 in 243.

You're going to need to custom barrel a 243 or like everyone else said, go 6 Creed.

When I got into PRS a few years ago I put a Criterion 243 Ackley barrel on a savage. It worked alright and I still have a 28" bartlein for my TL3 chambered to shoot 243 Ackley.

The longer I have shot, I have burned out several 243 Ackley barrels. There are better cartridges than the hotrod 6mm.

When I am trying to win, I run 6 Dasher. Any or the 6br based cartridges, or the 6 gt will be virtually the same. They are super consistent with long barrel life.

The hot rod stuff might pick up a few points in the wind, but I have found that 200 rounds is about as long as I can go without cleaning and maintain any semblance of consistency. After that the carbon build-up causes fliers and velocity spikes. That means that to have a super consistent gun, I have to clean between day 1 and day 2 of a 2 day match, not something I'm fond of doing.

Reactions: iceng
I have a cheapo Ruger American in 243 its a 1:9 I shoot 95 grain Bergers. If you want more than that you will have to go custom or 6 creed.
If I could go back in time I would have gone to a 6 creed but I was fairly uneducated when I bought that rifle, still a good gun to bounce around in the back seat of the truck.

Back in the Dark Ages before we had the 6mm CM, I spun up a .243 barrel using a Bartlein blank with 1:7.5 twist. It shot the 115gr DTACs damn well. But most people are using the .243 to fling 75gr pills at deer, and the common 1:9 and 1:10 twist rates are fine for that job.

Back in the Dark Ages before we had the 6mm CM, I spun up a .243 barrel using a Bartlein blank with 1:7.5 twist. It shot the 115gr DTACs damn well. But most people are using the .243 to fling 75gr pills at deer, and the common 1:9 and 1:10 twist rates are fine for that job.

First of all; I want to thank you guys for your thoughts on my question. I've owned and hunted successfully with a 243 since the late 50's. I'm certainly dating myself but that's ok. It has served me well. I'm at a point now where I like to play different rifles, cartridges and loads. I've seen illustrations where the 243 can excel at long range against a good many of the popular "now days" rounds. I have on hand a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors, a 6.5 PRC, for which I cannot readily obtain Lapua or Nosler brass, a 6.5-284, an old custom 6.5 - 06 that was one of my prarie dog rifles along with a 220 Swift. 243 win. brass is readily available and I think that with a good tactical stock, an accurate 7.5 twist barrel, a good scope and decent trigger it would be fun to play with out to 1K yards. I'm only coming up with; as MakeSawdust stated, a custom barrel to relieve my current itch.

Reactions: Taylorbok
WagonbossA,

Weatherby has their model 307 Range XP out with a 1/7.5 “ twist that may work for you.
I’m working with one now.
Still trying to find out what it likes.
I’ve shot a WBY Accumark ULW in .243 1/10 twist since 1999/2000 on coyotes.

I buy 1:8 twist barrels from McGowan. Shoot the 112 match burners great.

I'm running the AI and keeping it down around 2950 with h1000.

243 with a 1:8 barrel is a great little round out to 1200 or so with very little effort. If you go 243AI it’s even a touch better and less stretch on your brass. The only downside to using the 243 vs the 6CM is it’s a reloading only option.