• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Razrbak428

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2008
Ga.
Anybody hunt with a .243 wssm? Got a chance to get a Winchester coyote for a pretty good deal, but haven't ever shot one. Ballistics look pretty good. Just wanted some opinions from somebody that actually has one.

Re: .243 wssm?

I like the round, Barnes 85 grain X bullets do a great job on whitetail, if you plan on doing a lot of shooting with it, plan on getting another barrel for it
wink.gif
if you run them hot it'll burn out quick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer_21420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you plan on doing a lot of shooting with it, plan on getting another barrel for it
wink.gif
</div></div>
Yelp!! It's a hot mama chicken, for sure! It's a fast one, and would be good with a moderate heavy bullet.

I have one, a Winchester Stealth, has a decent feel, but had issues with the trigger from the factory, now that I have it worked out its a good shooter. I haven't got to do any long distance varmint with it yet, but it sure turns a ground squirrel into pudding at 100yards or so.

Seems like it would be a great long range deer or coyote gun. Now I found out olympic makes an upper in this caliber for my AR, probably be an expensive round in a semi auto, but it sure would be fun. Thanks for the responses!

I have two, one in win coyote, and one in an olympic arms. They both are sub moa. I have killed 26 deer with the coyote from 257 yds out to 530 yds. I am yet to recover a bullet, and even had one penetrate a 150 lb. doe through both shoulders at 460 yds and leave a 50 cent piece exit hole. I havent had to track a deer yet. My ar has killed 11 deer so far from 384 yds out to 485 yds, with same results.
By the way, I am reading this info from my field note book, and all yardages were courtesy of Leica.
The factory 95 gr ballistic silver tips took the majority of the deer (they are amazingly accurate in both rifles), and berger 90 gr bthp took the rest. I have been able to match the accuracy of the factory loads, but not quite the velocity. Factory averages 3230 in my coyote, whereas, the bergers go about 3150.
John

I got a winchester 243 ssm and like it. The downsides are the barrel life and the ballistic tip type casings for reloading. Now if either does not concern you enjoy. I have shot a few critters with it but since I live in the city I let a friend who lives in the sticks borrow it. His local coyote population hates it.