• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243AI Custom Build Ideas

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I'm putting together my wish list for a 243AI custom build. About the only thing that I've got set in stone is a McMillan A-5 in Desert Camo with the Integral Cheekpiece. I'm leaning towards a Jewel trigger; however, I will consider other options. I've been shooting Kreiger barrels on my benchrest rifles for years, but think that Bartlein makes a great barrel also. I'm really stuck on the action. I use BAT's on my benchrest guns - again I am open to other suggestions. I'm also trying to decide on a scope. I want a front focal plane reticle and have been researching both NF and S&B.

Please give me your two cents on the components for my custom build. If you can explain why you recommend a particular item - all the better. If providing you more information would help you with your suggestions, please let me know and I will happily reply - beggars cannot be choosers.

Many thanks.

Re: 243AI Custom Build Ideas

i like the 3 lug bat with jewel great combo, i prefer the manners stocks myself. second choice would be a skunkworks action which is made by defiance machine great piece of steel.

scope is easy if you have the funds look at s&b and hensoldt only. the rest of them just don't stack up in comparison except premier on which i will bite my tongue.

i would recommend a benchmark barrel if you haven't tried one you won't be dissapointed 3 groove 8twist with some 115dtacs, great combo.

if we knew what you were building this for it would be easier. tac matches, f class, plinking etc...

I love the 243AI.

If I were building one for range fun and hunting this is what I would do:

Surgeon RSR with rail
Krieger barrel in Rem Varmint contour (8 twist or 7.5)
Jewell Trigger
A5 or Adj HTG
NF F1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like the 3 lug bat with jewel great combo, i prefer the manners stocks myself. second choice would be a skunkworks action which is made by defiance machine great piece of steel.

scope is easy if you have the funds look at s&b and hensoldt only. the rest of them just don't stack up in comparison except premier on which i will bite my tongue.

i would recommend a benchmark barrel if you haven't tried one you won't be dissapointed 3 groove 8twist with some 115dtacs, great combo.

if we knew what you were building this for it would be easier. tac matches, f class, plinking etc... </div></div>
Hey diggler44:

I am building this rifle as my primary predator rig. Hopefully, it will get lots of duty sending Arizona coyotes, bobcats and the rare mountain lion to the grave. I'm guessing 500 yards would be a long shot with most coming under 300. I hope this helps.

I would build it on a Surgeon, Defiance or Stiller action... something not as tight as a bench action. Will get dusty and gritty hunting coyotes.

~7.5 twist for the 115's... 8 twist for the 105's... most custom barrels are shooters. Have had most of them..
Sendero or slighty heavier taper is what I prefer.
26 to 30 inch barrel, brake optional. Depends on weather you like them for hunting or not...
~Jewell HVR at 1.5 to 2.0 lbs (glove use for winter calling)
~Badger M5 BM
~Manners or McMillan, both are great stocks... I prefer Manners myself.
~Scope... money and preference there too. Nightforce, S&B, Hensoldt,etc....

I like McMillan A-5s, but spent all day Sunday with a
Manners T-4A.

It's an equally good choice, plus you can let your imagination loose when you pick your color/camo.

I have a custom Rem 700 in .243AI with a Broughton barrel, Jewell trigger, and NF NXS 5.5 - 22X scope in an A5 stock. It is my most accurate rifle but if I had had to do it again, I would choose a few things differently.

Although I love the .243AI round, I don't practice with it much as I don't want to burn up the barrel too soon. When the barrel is toast, I'll pick a round that will not burn out the barrel as fast. In 6mm, I would probably pick the 6XC.

With the range you are talking and the animals you are considering taking, I would consider something more like the 6.5 x 47 Lapua or .260Rem. Both have better barrel life and are accurate.

Kreiger and Bartlien are both great barrels. I would go with the one you can find in the market first as the wait on both of these brands are long.

I have the A5 stock and a Manners T4A stock. My future builds will all have Manners stocks. I feel they are equal or better than McMillan and offer better value and shorter lead times.

As stated, if you are using it in the field, a 700 clone would probably be better than a benchrest action due to the dirt and dust.

The Jewell trigger breaks nice but the trigger is thin. Just depends if you like a wide or thin trigger.

Another note on the .243AI, although the fire forming loads were very accurate, it is a pain to develop a load for fire forming and then developing another load for the final rounds.

If you have any other question, let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would build it on a Surgeon, Defiance or Stiller action... something not as tight as a bench action. Will get dusty and gritty hunting coyotes.</div></div>
I wondered about the issue of dust with a tight tolerance benchrest action. I'm constantly cleaning my bolt and action during a match. Not something that would be practical in the field.

Great comment - thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadJamesR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a custom Rem 700 in .243AI with a Broughton barrel, Jewell trigger, and NF NXS 5.5 - 22X scope in an A5 stock. It is my most accurate rifle but if I had had to do it again, I would choose a few things differently.

Although I love the .243AI round, I don't practice with it much as I don't want to burn up the barrel too soon. When the barrel is toast, I'll pick a round that will not burn out the barrel as fast. In 6mm, I would probably pick the 6XC.

With the range you are talking and the animals you are considering taking, I would consider something more like the 6.5 x 47 Lapua or .260Rem. Both have better barrel life and are accurate.

Kreiger and Bartlien are both great barrels. I would go with the one you can find in the market first as the wait on both of these brands are long.

I have the A5 stock and a Manners T4A stock. My future builds will all have Manners stocks. I feel they are equal or better than McMillan and offer better value and shorter lead times.

As stated, if you are using it in the field, a 700 clone would probably be better than a benchrest action due to the dirt and dust.

The Jewell trigger breaks nice but the trigger is thin. Just depends if you like a wide or thin trigger.

Another note on the .243AI, although the fire forming loads were very accurate, it is a pain to develop a load for fire forming and then developing another load for the final rounds.

If you have any other question, let me know. </div></div>
Great comments Chad.

I'm going to give the Manner T4 stock a look see. Too many folks have given it a high rating as an alternative to the A-5. Not to be flippant; however, I'm so used to changing barrels regularly with my benchrest rifles that I'm not concerned about barrel life with the 243AI. I shoot between 3,000 and 5,000 rounds a year and just accept that barrels eventually wear out. Right now I have three Kreiger 6mm barrel blanks sitting in my closet that simply need to be flutted and chambered. I've got a fellow benchrest shooter in Wickenburg AZ that is well known for his Remington actions. I just need to compare prices for finding a donor 700 and getting the work done versus a new Stiller, Surgeon, etc.

As weird as it seems, I actually enjoy load development. It is a fact of everyday life in competitive benchrest shooting and I find it relaxing to work up a good load.

Thanks again.

If you have the barrels to burn, the .243AI is a fun cartridge. Recoil is low, accuracy is high, and it shoots like a laser. As I already have the dies, brass, etc for the .243AI, when it comes time to rebarrel I might stay with the cartridge. I'm thinking about having the barrel melonite treated so that the barrel holds up. I have about 550 rounds through my .243AI and it still shoots lights out but I don't know how long that will last.

I know what you mean about load development. I spend more time reloading then shooting because I just enjoy that part of the process. It makes shooting small groups that much more satisfying.

I would go Defiance or Surgeon on the action. Like Senderoman said, slighter looser tolerance for hunting/tactical environment. Since you already have the Kriegers, use them as long as they are 7.5 or 8 twist. The 115 dtac's will stabilize with the 243AI in a 8 twist until the temps get to cold. At 300-500 yds, you might not notice any difference though. Manners stocks definitely (T2 is my preference), Jewell trigger, Badger or Surgeon dbm, and a 5.5-22x50 NF. All together in the family, we have 7 243AI's. I have 2, one of them has just over 1300 rounds and still shoots 1/2moa. This rifle runs 105's at 3300fps and has been used in tac matches, hunting, varmints, etc... The throat has moved a little, but still shoots perfectly. The latest one built on our new receiver has 250rnds of 115 dtacs at 3200fps and the thoat hasn't moved at all. Fireform loads are easy, use them to hunt with and then you have formed cases. Here is the link to the post on the new rifle:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...904#Post1883904

I had my 243ai done on a tuned up 700 Douglas XX 26" next time I will do the 1/7 this one is 1/10 made groundhog hits out to 800+ 500yds has been a chip shot with the 75gr Hornadys sitting in a Accuracy AI stock moving 3770fps I will do another one when this one burns out, right now 300rnds. For the yardage you are talking about, I think your pocket book will be the deciding factor anything you do at the range you will be shooting will pretty much work. as far as scopes to me would be a no brainer USO if I had the funds. Triggers I like fat ones. I have never had a issue/w the factory Rem triggers just tunned up. I love my 243ai
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadJamesR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the barrels to burn, the .243AI is a fun cartridge. Recoil is low, accuracy is high, and it shoots like a laser. As I already have the dies, brass, etc for the .243AI, when it comes time to rebarrel I might stay with the cartridge. I'm thinking about having the barrel melonite treated so that the barrel holds up. I have about 550 rounds through my .243AI and it still shoots lights out but I don't know how long that will last.

I know what you mean about load development. I spend more time reloading then shooting because I just enjoy that part of the process. It makes shooting small groups that much more satisfying.</div></div>
Hey Chad:

Thanks for the comments. What brand of dies do you use. I've got custom dies for my 6PPC and don't know that they would be necessary for my 243AI - what do you think?

Based on the good comments recieved thus far, here is my list of components:

1. Action - Surgeon 591 Short Repeater.
2. Barrel - Kreiger Flutted.
3. Stock - McMillan A-5 or Manners T4.
4. Scope - S&B PMII 5-25 x 56 LP or NF NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1.
5. Triggerguard - Badger BDM M5.
6. Trigger - Jewel.

I'm still researching bolt knobs, finishes/coatings, rings, bipods, etc.

I'm also trying to decide whether to go with a 70/75 grain pill or a 105. I'm confident that the 105 will give me the best downrange performance; however, I'm not sure it is necessary for the intended purpose of this rifle and the territory I will be predator hunting.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks.