• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243AI & Custom Match Bullets

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I am working through my list of reloading options for a 243AI build. I shoot competitive benchrest (6PPC) and use a custom 65-grain boattail. I've got over 20K of these custom BT's and wondered about using them in my 243AI on coyotes or other predators.

Any thoughts on shooting this type of bullet in my 243AI would be appreciated. I'd also like your comments on loads and barrel twist. I use 13.5 Krieger LV barrels on my 6PPC and wondered if the same twist would be best for my 243AI.

Thanks.

Re: 243AI & Custom Match Bullets

I went with an 8 twist so I could shoot the 105 amax in 243AI. Using that twist I also shot 75gr amax.

If you ever want to go bigger (115dtac) then you might want to look at a 7.5 twist.

Heavy bullets I shot R17

Light bullets I shot R15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with an 8 twist so I could shoot the 105 amax in 243AI. Using that twist I also shot 75gr amax.

If you ever want to go bigger (115dtac) then you might want to look at a 7.5 twist.

Heavy bullets I shot R17

Light bullets I shot R15</div></div>
Hey JCH:

Thank you for your comments. This rig will strictly be for predators only. I won't be hunting deer or any other big game with it - I've got other rifles for that purpose. Accordingly, I was thinking the 65-grain custom match bullets might be a good coyote killer. Do you use the 105's on coyotes? If yes, how has it performed compared to smaller bullets?

Thanks again.

for varmints, get you a 10 twist and load the 87 gr VMax's haulin ass! The 80 gr Ballistic tips will also shoot at a great deal of speed and tear up some serious stuff when they hit.
It's hard to get the 105's seated deep enough to clip feed unless you're building on a long action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hey JCH:

Thank you for your comments. This rig will strictly be for predators only. I won't be hunting deer or any other big game with it - I've got other rifles for that purpose. Accordingly, I was thinking the 65-grain custom match bullets might be a good coyote killer. Do you use the 105's on coyotes? If yes, how has it performed compared to smaller bullets?

Thanks again.</div></div>

I never killed a coyote with one. I have killed a coyote with a 75gr vmax out of a 243ai. Running R15 (44-46grains IIRC) out of a 22" barrel (8twist)

killed the coyote DRT. Of course in OKlahoma we don't care about the pelt. It isn't the most fur friendly. But a center shot facing at 200 didn't exit and the coyote was DRT.

if you're going to shoot 65 grain bullets at AI speeds you wont need any more than 12 twist. The 105 amax might stabilize in a 10 twist if youre pushing it hard and your right in the the right twist for 70-80 grain bullets there too. 105 amax is a fantastic bullet, very easy to work with. If you are going 10 twist you should be looking at varget/RL15 powder speeds, maybe even H414 and H4350. 65 grainers start with varget or similar burn rate

Do you guys find the 105g MOLLY A-max gives best accuracy with slight jump to Lands and 0.03 neck tension range with your rigs.

Never messed with neck tension. My best load jumped .050

And yes, i always ran moly.