• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

243AI Die Sets... What do you use?

AHorn

Tha man
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
Murfreesboro,Arkansas
I am building a 243AI, what is a good choice on Die Sets?

If you have a part number for your Set that would be helpfull too.

Thanks

Re: 243AI Die Sets... What do you use?

I haven't found any for the "Ackley Improved" I can find the "Winchester Improved" but I understand there is a difference between the two????

Re: 243AI Die Sets... What do you use?

I use the Wilson hand dies and an arbor press. I recently had a 'smith alter a blank Wilson die to the exact dimensions of my chamber, which was cut with the same reamer as the barrel, for the semi wildcat, the 22-243Middlested. In your case, I'm pretty sure a standard 243W can be modified for a seating die. The sizing die just requires a correct bushing for your particular neck, and a mallet. Either the Redding or Wilson sizing die gets my vote. You need to put some thought into the exact diameter bushing required. Get with your gunsmith doing the rifle work and make sure the chamber is what you want and if you want to deal with turning your necks.

One other item that I find helpful is that my gunsmith, (who is local) provided me with a "loaner" rifle with a junk barrel chambered with my reamer. The purpose was so that I could fireform a couple hundred cases in an hour or so and have that much less wear and tear on my premium barrel. It's a nice feature, if your gunsmith is as accommodating as mine was? If you have a barrel vice and wrench, he can ship a barrel and you can change it out yourself.

The other way is to do it without bullets, in your rifle, which takes much longer and can be messy. But, I built a baffle chamber in my garage so I don't need to drive to the range to accomplish fireforming.
Good luck, BB