• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 243AI???

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am loading some 107gr sierras for my 243AI. My max OAL with these bullets is only 2.760. It seems to me like there is a lot of bullet pushed down into the case. Is this ok? This is my first 243AI or any AI chambering, so i have no personal experience. My barrel is an 8 twist, thats why i am loading the heavy bullets. It just seems short to me, but then again maybe i am just too used to shooting factory rifles with those long ass free bore barrels. Lee

Re: 243AI???

Skeetlee,
Sounds like your chamber is throated for light bullets (shorter). I will check the seating depth of mine tonight if you haven't heard from someone else.

skeetlee,

How did you determine your Max OAL? Lands? Mag.?

I have a tool that measures the max bullet seating depth. The toll i have will vary slightly depending on bullet lengths. The 107gr sierra vary as much as 10 thou total bullet length. My measurement is an average, but i am sure it is with in 10 thou either way. Maybe this is all nothing, and i have sent my smith a message, it just seems really short. Thanks lee

You measuring to ogive? I hope I spelled that right.

The die seats it based off the ogive, not the tip, remember.

But ya if your measuring to find lands and compare data and stuff, probably guna want to measure to ogive

I THINK Rob01 has a .243AI, I'd shoot him a PM and see what kind of numbers he has. I'm not 100% if he has one, but I'm pretty positive he had one at some point, should be able to help ya out.

-matt

Measuring off the ogive would be best, but i dont have the tools to do so. The tool i have to measure isnt 100% but it is pretty close. I just talked with a guy that shoots the 243AI and he told me i need the throat reamed a bit.

I will measure/get my data tonight for you on both my 243AI's.

BTW-

I measure COAL after I have determined where/when the bullet touches the lands. I back off a nats ass, check magazine clearance and measure overall case length with a caliper.

I am more than sure of my Max OAL. I just need to know if this chamber needs any attention to obtain maximum accuracy? Lee

he didnt really say. He just said it was probably a min chamber? Inhavent had the chance to call him yet though. He is busy and i hate to call him, but i will. thanks lee

My COAL for the 243AIs with 107g Sierra MK is 2.834.

My only questioning was related to how can/did the gunsmith not ream the chamber deep enough? If the gunsmith used a go/no go gauge how can the throat not be deep enough? And how can he cut the throat deeper without cutting the shoulder location?

I would call the gunsmith too and pick his brain. A good gunsmith will want your repeat business and will want you happy.

What do you mean your gunsmith said its probably a min. chamber? He doesn't know what kind of reamer he has? Anyhow you can call Dave Kiff at Pacific Precision and buy a throat reamer (you use by hand). That way you can seat the bullet in the case were you want it and throat the lands to it. Then you can keep the driving band above the neck shoulder junction should a donut develop. The reamer is only around $100.00.

Rifle is shooting really well so far. 1/2" groups with 3 of the four loads i have tried. The 107gr sierra has been the best thus far. My smith is very competent and i dont want to give out the impression i am unhappy because i am! I am just not educated enough to know as this is my first AI chamber and first custom. I didnt want to call him with out knowing exactly what i needed. I am concerned about the bullet sitting down a bit to deep as the base above the boat tail is bellow the bottom of the neck and pretty close to the start of the shoulder. Not quite that low but close. Maybe this is a good thing as i will be able to chase the the barrel longer as the barrel wears out? Like i said i just dont know! Thanks Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't worry about it. Shoot it and be happy. </div></div>

+100
wink.gif