• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .243win shooting lights bullets in fast twist???

AccuSol-ERN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
Baker, FL
accuratesolutionsllc.com
I have acquired a boat load of .244 varmint/hunting bullets in the 70-85gr. range and am wondering if anyone has first hand experience in shooting them in a .243win that is setup with a 7.5" or 8" twist. I know that a fast twist is not ideal for this weight and overstability will occur but to what effect? I am OK with losing a little bit of accuracy and velocity but not at the cost of terrible accuracy and bullets coming apart.

Any info you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ern

Re: .243win shooting lights bullets in fast twist???

What the heck, try some. They may come apart if you push them too fast or may shoot great.

The construction of the bullet and the exact twist rate are going to be determining factors on whether you get blowups. Shoot homogenenous bullets (Barnes TSX, etc) and you could probably push them as fast as you can and still be OK.

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I've found a rock barrel in 13.7 twist that will stabilize the 70gr bullets and maybe the 85gr if I push them fast enough.

Ern

I've shot a boat load of 62gr Varmint Grenades and 87gr V-Max out of a 243Ackley that sports a 8 twist Krieger and they shoot just fine. The only time we got the VG's to come apart was when we started getting to around 4200fps