• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25/06 build help

magman687

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
ohio
hey all first let me say thank you and pls forgive my bad spelling and typing in general
laugh.gif

well i want a good rifle for laying down great groups at long range on paper most likly 1000 or less yards 300-600 yards will be most commen

and i wanted to ask what u all think of the build i have in mind and anything u think that would make it better ok here it goes

this is what i have

post 64 winchester model 70 action in long action its been accurized

chaote super sniper stock or how ever u spell it
laugh.gif

and im thinking of getting the Hart 28" 1.45 bull barrel in 1/10 twist with 6 flutes

the super sniper 16X or 20X scope

im going with 25/06 do to very light recoil and flat shooting
unless u all think somthing else would be better thats around the same cal i can get the barrel chambered in whatever so if it fits the win 70 long action i got we r good but 25/06 is what i really want.

i do alot of target shooting but will use it for white tail aswell.

and again thank you everyone
laugh.gif

one more thing i keep hearing ppl talk about barrel burners im taking it since the 25/06 is a fast round id be going through barrels quike or what ?

this is my first high power btw i shoot m40 308 and 223 but i dont own them
laugh.gif

Re: 25/06 build help

If you're a 25/06 shooter you reload I assume?

The 6.5-06 will actually have better bore life (though neither are very good), better high BC target bullets available and have plenty of punch for deer.

6.5-06 will mandate that you reload for it. I'm getting around 3150fps from my 6.5-06 with 140gr Berger VLD's and RETUMBO using a 28" barrel.

Another, even better option to increase bore life and be effective in a 28" barrel with great hunting and target bullets is a 280 Remington or a 7mm/06.

I have a barrel in 7mm/270 and it's a fantastic paper puncher at long range with the 160-180gr target bullets, lots of hunting bullets from 120-175gr are on the market and it has more than double the barrel life that a 6.5-06 or 25-06 will have.

yes ill be hand loading

is it costly to load for?

ill have to look up these 7mm when i get off work
laugh.gif
would that work in my win 70 long action ?

and would the 7mm be a better shooter then the 25/06 ill be lucky if i get to shoot 500-700 rounds a year through the 25/06 so i hope it would last more then 3-5 years

or is the 7mm just a better choice in general

The 6.5 and 7mm choices are better because of the greater selection of good bullts for a given purpose. Nothing wrong with a 25 caliber but the selection of good projectiles is very limited.

Very true I I go with 25/06 ill use match kings I think and some barns

But is 28" barrel over kill or would that be good weight isn't an issue I want a very heavy gun it will be 1.45 thick but I wanted to know is that long of a barrel going to hurt or help proformance.

The barrel life on a 25-06 is around 1000 rounds depending how hard you load it, strings of fire, etc. The 6.5-06 is in the 1500 range. The 7mm on the -06 case will treat you to about 3-4000 rounds. Again, this is dependent upon how you push it, but those are commonly seen numbers from people who have burned out barrels.

The 6.5-06 and 7-06 cost the same to load for pretty much, 140 Bergers are about $0.37/bullet and the 180 Bergers are around $0.40/bullet. They shoot similar amounts of the same powders, but the cost of ownership is much higher per round when you factor in the cost of getting 1/2-1/3 of the barrel life from a 6.5 that you get from a 7

Both will work in your long action.

I spin on my own barrels and I own the 6.5-06 and 280 Reamer and gauge sets so it's simply the cost of a barrel and the investment in my time. I shoot $150 Shilen chrome moly Match barrels instead of $300 cut rifled stainless barrels to cut the costs down. The barrels still shoot really well and with the rate I go through 6.5 barrels it's not long before I need to order one.

Last week of June I put on my latest 6.5-06 barrel and I'm 191 rounds into it as of yesterday.

Wow 1000 rounds don't feel so good LOL
Now I'm taint it that's based on 1000 yard cuz at 300 u wont see the group get bigger will u I mean I'm not shooting competition just for fun

Man you might want to re-think that barrel. That seems to be ALOT of weight to hang off that action, or maybe use a barrel block. Don't know but I'd bet that 28" 1.450 barrel might weigh around 10 pounds after the fluting.

Seems like a 24"-26" straight no taper no fluting 1.00 at muzzle would be all you need. Most VLD's seem not to like much more than 3k fps which is no problem with 25-06 with 117gr bergers in that barrel length. Probably get all the speed you need from a 20" barrel.

A 28" 1.25 .257 barrel will weigh about 9.5 pounds. Its not the total weight of the rifle that I caution you about. Its the weight that will be "hanging off the action" that MAY be an issue. Ask a rifle builder. Or post in Gunsmiths section.

BTW I would bet a 1.00 straight cylinder 20" long would be more rigid than a 28" 1.25" barrel.

OK ty ill check into it when I get off work thanks for the help

might as well take it out o a 25-06 ackley while your at it.

28" barrel would be plenty. straight taper to 9.50 - 1" at the muzzle would be nice.

Not much experience with the 25-06, but I did have a 1.10" barrel on a GA Precision build. That thing was a laser, but it was HEAVY. I had it in an A2 McMillan and knew it would be a whale, but was surprised by the overall weight. If you are just going to carry it from the truck to your bench, you might be OK, but that heavy profile is going to put some serious strain in the action(might consider the above-mentioned block or sleeve the action).

But then again, you are building it for yourself so get what you like.

Also, you might want to consider the suggestions concerning the 7mm chamberings. Better bullets, better ballistic coefficient, better selection, etc.

It cost a lot to get a block to help hold up the barrel and I'm a big Guy a 20-25 lb gun would be fine I just worry about the strain on the receiver

OK I called my gunsmith he said to go with a 1.25 barrel and I'd be fine we will bed it tone said that the m70 action I'm getting from him is pretty hefty.

and I'd get more then 1000 shots he said that's just by 1000 yard benchrest standard and since most my shooting will be under 300 ill get a lot more shots to my standerd of shooting would u all agree or am I wrong.

I've shot a 25-06 for years. My favorite, an old m77 Ruger with a 28" Lilja barrel. Over the years it has accounted for numerous antelope, deer, and a couple elk. Also showed pretty good at the dynamite shoots. IIRC the muzzle diameter is .850. Around 52gr. of H 4931 drives 120gr. Sierra game kings 3200fps.
That being said a 6.5-06 or 7mm-06 or a .280 have a lot better bullet selection as others have said.

My accuracy limit is 1 MOA at 600yd. When the rifle doesn't hold 1 MOA the barrel is going in the scrap bin. The 6.5-06 run as a fun target rifle or practical competition (5-10 shots in a stage then cooling time) it lasts around 1200-1500 rounds.

1000yd BR guys are throwing out 6.5-284 barrels at 750-1000 rounds when they don't stay inside 1/2 MOA at 1000yd

The F class guys shooting 284 Win and the 284 Shehane (basically the 280 Rem twin) are getting 3000 rounds of 1000yd competition life.

One of the things you could do to mitigate the barrel burn out is avoid shooting it a lot inside of 300yd. Shoot a 223 instead and it will have a very long barrel life and still give excellent accuracy at ranges out to 600yd or more for the average guy. Imet and witnessed a guy who busts 4" clay birds at 1000 on command with a 223, but he's not the norm.

wow very nice info see im ok if i shoot 3-4 inch at 600 yards so to my standerds id be getting about 4000-5000 shot of barrel life if i figured that correctly.

see i like the 7mm and all but i think im sticking with 25/06
im going to be doing alot of silluette shooting with it to on ppl size targets at 600-1000 yards the groups r going to be just for fun though and i dont think im going to shoot any comp this is a gun just for fun back yard shooting

Barrel life is not a linear scale, I don't know where you got 4-5k from but that doesn't sound right. 1/2 MOA @ 600 is ~3", 3/4 MOA is ~ 4.5"

1 MOA is ~6.3" at 600yd, once that threshold is reached the rifle can no longer stay on target even if I do my job 100%, so the tube is junk.

Many times when these high performance calibers burn out a barrel and the gunsmith puts a bore scope down it the rifling is gone (not erroded, but GONE) for several inches. Long, fast strings will do this quicker but 400% increases in barrel life are not a reality.

The 25-06 will certainly be a good round and function for what you want, I'm just trying to make some realistic expectations for you. Not to knock your gunsmith, I don't know what kind of relationship you guys have, but he makes a living off this stuff. If you see him once a year instead of once every 5 years he makes a lot more money. It doesn't sound like he's BSing you unless he told you 4000 rounds from a 25-06, just something to keep in mind. There's some merit to the theory that barrel break in procedures were started by some 'smiths who wanted to sell more rebarrel jobs.

see i was going to get a fancy fluted barrel and all that but then i thought if i have to replace my barrel every 2 years i might want to stick with plain jane hart and not spend the 250 more to make it merely look better

but for what u said 2-3k per my standerds then lol

i know im not going to replace my barrel till i cant shoot a deer at 500 yards or maybe ill just get another barreled action to use when im not using the 25/06

and will it help out very much if i go with minimal loads

laugh.gif
thank you very helpfull all of you

im glade u all are putting up with the new guy lol ( ME )

im thinking hard on i like the 25/06 but the 7 mm is looking pretty good to would the winchester 70 in long action handle a 7mm i know i cant use mag rounds in the action is the 7 mm only in mag or is there a standered or am i wrong in saying the m70 wont handle it ?