• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 25-06 vs 257 Weatherby Mag

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I recently helped a friend on his mule deer hunt here in AZ. His rifle of choice was a 257 Weatherby Magnum and he eventually took a very respectable typical 4x4 that green scored 183. I've never hunted or shot 25 calibers before and was definitely impressed with how lethal his 257 was on that muley. After spotting the buck, he ended up with a shot of 247 yards. That muley acted as if it was hit by the preverbal Thor's Hammer - DRT. I've always associated 25's with antelope, coues and other small bodied big game. While this muley was not a monster, it had a nice heavy body and folded-up like it had been hit my a 338 Win Mag.

I've never owned/shot a Weatherby before; however, my friend tells me his 257 does not punish him with severe recoil. That being said, I'm wondering how a 25-06 might perform compared to the 257 Weatherby Magnum? I'm a reloader and somewhat put off that brass for the 257 is only available from Weatherby. I could use 30-06 Lapua brass and neck-it-down to 25 caliber for a 25-06.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions on these two 25's would be sincerely appreciated.

Re: 25-06 vs 257 Weatherby Mag

.257 Wby brass is as simple and cheap as virgin 7mm Rem Mag brass through a .257 Wby sizer. Done it myself, and it works great. Necks are a little shorter but that is of absolutely no consequence. Takes about 1gr less powder to get the same velocities as with Wby brass.

John

I would gun the 25-06 over the Weatherby ANY day. That Weatherby won't do anything that the 25-06 won't do. Either one would be a great deer rifle though...

depending on the impact velocity it may have "hit harder than a 338" there are many variables that need to act simultaneously. Just because it is a big magnum doesn't mean it hits harder.
The "1/4 calibers" work well on many big game animals.

Speed matters as does energy as does impact speed as does impact energy relative to the projectile you are using.

A bow will surely kill a big game animal with very little energy IF you have a good cutting broad head that has enough umph to be pushed through the vitals and cut what needs to be cut.

A round ball pushed very slow but pushed enough to make a hole in the organs it needs to make a hole in will work too.

A Berger VLD pushed fast enough to open and expand whether whole or in pieces to make a large hole or many holes through the vitals will work. Same goes for any match bullet.

A barnes TSX pushed fast enough to open and make holes in the correct places works well too.

Any bullet pushed with enough velocity to make holes or many holes in the right places will work.

Simply, you need the right combination of Velocity and Sectional Density relative to the chosen equipment and projectiles that achieve the internal damage needed. There are many possible combinations. Albeit some combinations work better or faster than others depending on where your shot placement is. Placement is key.

I'd take the 25-05 over the Weatherby.
I think I typed this the way I meant to.

Definitely take the 25-06, cheaper than the Weatherby and as mentioned already there is nothing one will do that the other wont do just fine.
I love my 25-06, I have shot many deer with it, as well as my first elk. Everything that rifle was ever pointed at died a quick short death, DRFT.
I love the quarter-bore, I'd like to try a new wizzum 25, and I've also considered a .223 based .257 round for an Ar which I think would be cool, maybe even better than the 6.8. It's hard to beat the old 25-06 though, easy going, flat shooting, and hits hard. The only thing holding back the house of 25, is the narrow selection of bullets, fueled by the relatively small following of .257 shooters IMO. I have long desired for a 120-135 match bullet for the 25, but there just must not be enough demand.
For a Deer/antelope gun, there are few better, its a little light for elk, but it will do the job in the right hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.257 Wby brass is as simple and cheap as virgin 7mm Rem Mag brass through a .257 Wby sizer. Done it myself, and it works great. Necks are a little shorter but that is of absolutely no consequence. Takes about 1gr less powder to get the same velocities as with Wby brass.

John </div></div>

Also, Weatherby is not the only maker of 257W brass. Norma and Nosler also offer it, and MidwayUSA list Hornady brass as "coming soon". Both Nosler and Hornady offer loaded ammunition, as does HSM and Cor-bon.

I also believe that the WEatherby is a step up in performance from the 2506, though maybe not a huge step. Out to about 300 there isn't much a 257 can do that a 2506 can't, but as range increases, performance pays. Unfortunately, performance costs also.....

That said, I shoot a 2506, one of my hunting pards has the Bee.

Kaiser Norton

You might add a 25WSSM to your list if you reload. I love mine it has made the tenured rifle list in my safe. It can outpace, though very slightly, either 25-06 or 257Wby. The super short action makes a light and fast handling little rifle. Only complaint I have is I cant find an aftermarket stock for the super short. I don't know if they are back in production or not the original run only made it 2 years when Winchester shut the doors.

The .257 Wea is not an economy cartridge. It is for all out preformance, which it gives. It outpreforms the 25-06 by 200-300 fps in the range of hunting bullet weights. That is huge in flattened trajectory and reduced leads. It was more important in the days prior to laser range finders, but still very important. Both are loud, mild in recoil and kill well. Most people tend to choose the lesser expense when spending thier own money, so if that is a factor, take your pick. If you want the best, without regard to expense, there is no comparison. The 257 Wea is like being 200 yards closer to the target. I would not reccomend a Weatherby rifle. Love the cartridge. I would guess that most who speak against it have never used it on game to any extent. Bullet selection is very important as with any high velocity round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .257 Wea is not an economy cartridge. It is for all out preformance, which it gives. It outpreforms the 25-06 by 200-300 fps in the range of hunting bullet weights. That is huge in flattened trajectory and reduced leads. It was more important in the days prior to laser range finders, but still very important. Both are loud, mild in recoil and kill well. Most people tend to choose the lesser expense when spending thier own money, so if that is a factor, take your pick. If you want the best, without regard to expense, there is no comparison. The 257 Wea is like being 200 yards closer to the target. I would not reccomend a Weatherby rifle. Love the cartridge. I would guess that most who speak against it have never used it on game to any extent. Bullet selection is very important as with any high velocity round. </div></div>

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I will add that a good friend of mine uses a 257 wby for caribou and it is impressive. He had his built on a Mod 70 action. It is true that it is certainly NOT an economy round. Whether you're talking components or barrel life. That said, I have a soft spot for the 25-06.

Would feel the 25 06 will do anything a 257 WBY will do 99% of the time. I have had 25 06 since the early 70's. what a cartridge. load a 75 gr for varmint or 120 gr Nosler for elk. everything else is in between.

If you are a reloader look how much more powder it takes to gain that extra little bit.

I am a 25 cal. nut! love em. I use both a 25-06 and a 257 Wby. I have never killed anything with my 257 Wby that I could not have killed with a 25-06, that being said, I sure do like the 257 Wby. Hell, I am no help with this, I love both of em.

I used a 25-06 in Wyoming for yrs on deer and antelope. It is POISON on deer size game and one of my favorite calibers.

Take a good look at a 25 x 284 win if you are a quarter bore guy, you will be pleasantly surprised. 25 06 AI isn't a bad choice to slum with as well.

My biggest bull elk fell to a single shot from 385 yards with my Sako .257 Weatherby shooting a 120gr Nosler Partition.

I've killed a fair amount of big game with the 25/06 also and it worked fine. The Weatherby has a bit more "thump" factor though, no doubt.

I had a spare Howa 270WSM in the safe and an itch for a 25cal something so I had a 25/300WSM hunting rifle built. Kept the whole package fairly light and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Shoots 110 Nosler AB @ 3490fps and 270WSM brass is cheap. That said, there is nothing wrong with a 25-06 or 25-06AI. The Weatherby is a cool round but is more expensive to shoot.

I love my 25-06. It's fast, flat, accurate (with the right load), and recoil is light. Plus it's really versatile, everything from 75g to 120g performs well in my Howa 1500. I like the Barnes TSX 100g for deer. It's like point and click.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Weatherby won't do anything that the 25-06 won't do. </div></div>

Wrong, 200-300 FPS is a big difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .257 Wea is not an economy cartridge. It is for all out preformance, which it gives. It outpreforms the 25-06 by 200-300 fps in the range of hunting bullet weights. That is huge in flattened trajectory and reduced leads. It was more important in the days prior to laser range finders, but still very important. Both are loud, mild in recoil and kill well. Most people tend to choose the lesser expense when spending thier own money, so if that is a factor, take your pick. If you want the best, without regard to expense, there is no comparison. The 257 Wea is like being 200 yards closer to the target. I would not reccomend a Weatherby rifle. Love the cartridge. I would guess that most who speak against it have never used it on game to any extent. Bullet selection is very important as with any high velocity round. </div></div>

Exactly right.

My dad has a 257 WM. It is a hammer. He doesn't like to range, holdover, or dial. We sight it in 3" high at 100 yards, and a mule deer is dead inside of 400 yards.

However, .257 and .277 are ballistically amongst the worst calibers out there. Keep in mind that .264 (6.5mm) and .243 (6mm) are right around what you are looking at and amongst the best BCs.

If I were to go radically overbore it would be something like a 6.5 WSM. It would accomplish all the things you want in a flat shooting caliber but would be much easier to make hits past 700 yards where that .257 with a BC of .330 starts to act funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...However, .257 and .277 are ballistically amongst the worst calibers out there. Keep in mind that .264 (6.5mm) and .243 (6mm) are right around what you are looking at and amongst the best BCs.

If I were to go radically overbore it would be something like a 6.5 WSM. It would accomplish all the things you want in a flat shooting caliber but would be much easier to make hits past 700 yards where that .257 with a BC of .330 starts to act funny. </div></div>

While not in the discussion, consider a 26 inch barreled 6.5 Remington Magnum on a short action or a .264 Winchester Magnum on a long action. Both will give you speed in a factory 6.5 configuration.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might add a 25WSSM to your list if you reload. I love mine it has made the tenured rifle list in my safe. It can outpace, though very slightly, either 25-06 or 257Wby. </div></div>

I will take that bet. I have three rifles chambered for the .257 WBY and they all easily make 3,650 fps with 100 gr. bullets, the two 26" barreled rifles push past 3,700 with no signs of pressure.
I don't know how you would ever match that performance with a 25 WSSM.

No matter the choice the quarter bores are fun to shoot and perform well on deer and antelope sized game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Weatherby won't do anything that the 25-06 won't do. </div></div>

</div></div>

I think what Cinch meant is that; at normal hunting distances and normal hunting applications, a 25-06 will do anything the Weatherby will do. The weatherby might do it faster, but as mentioned already, it does so at some cost.

I have taken quite a few whitetail and pronghorns with my 257 Weatherby. All were DRT. My favorite pronghorn rifle for sure. Mostly used 120gr partitions and 115gr BT's. Going to try some of the Barnes TSX's next.

My fathers 257 weatherby with a 27 inch barrel on a sako action pushes 110 nosler acubonds at 2650. He uses the zeiss conquest with the rapid z varmint reticle. The drops and wind work almost perfect and are deadly for a hunting gun. I think that for an ultimate one hunting rifle the 257 is king. Enough punch and speed for almost anything.

It is also very accurate for what it is, sub moa and if he or I are doing our part we can push about .75 moa groups at 300yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Weatherby won't do anything that the 25-06 won't do. </div></div>

</div></div>

I think what Cinch meant is that; at normal hunting distances and normal hunting applications, a 25-06 will do anything the Weatherby will do. The weatherby might do it faster, but as mentioned already, it does so at some cost.</div></div>

Yeah, I get that. However you could nearly say the same thing about 308 vs 300 Win mag. They both push the same pill, but they are just a few hundred FPS apart, so they can do the same thing?

Wrong. 300 Win mag is considered sufficient for any big game in North America. The same could not be said for the 308.

Roy Weatherby hunted big game in Africa with his 257 Weatherby. 200-300 fps puts it in a different class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Weatherby won't do anything that the 25-06 won't do. </div></div>

</div></div>

I think what Cinch meant is that; <span style="color: #FF0000">at normal hunting distances and normal hunting applications,</span> a 25-06 will do anything the Weatherby will do. The weatherby might do it faster, but as mentioned already, it does so at some cost.</div></div>

Yeah, I get that. However you could nearly say the same thing about 308 vs 300 Win mag. They both push the same pill, but they are just a few hundred FPS apart, so they can do the same thing?

Wrong. 300 Win mag is considered sufficient for any big game in North America. The same could not be said for the 308.

Roy Weatherby hunted big game in Africa with his 257 Weatherby. 200-300 fps puts it in a different class. </div></div>

Normal hunting applications and distances, do you really think that 200fps is gonna make that much of a difference? The majority of shots take place at 500yds or less, and at those ranges I dont see a 200fps margin that big of a deal, especially considering the added cost.

Also, I think there are plenty of people who would consider a .308 sufficient for any NA big game. As well as they would consider the 25-06
suitable for anything they would hunt with a 257 weatherby.

Your logic is confusing to me.

First of all, Hodgdon list the smallest difference at the 117 grain bullets at 253 fps, and the largest at 100 grain bullets at 360 fps.

Second, I am talking about real world normal hunting distances and applications. If 250 to 360 fps is basically the same thing, then perhaps you should consider trading in your budget 223 Remington for a budget 221 Fireball. It's only 360 fps and in real world hunting distances it makes no difference, right? Because I have seen a coyote be knocked down by a 223, and a 22-250 that means that they are basically the same? No, not at all. Some people use a 22-250 for deer as well. Some other people will use a 257 Weatherby for Elk. If all you want to shoot is speed goats and deer then yes a 25-06 and the 257 WM are the same, the 257 will just squeeze out another 100 yards.

Lastly comes cost, you are right, and I have never disputed that. I also pointed out that the .257 caliber in general is a bad choice to go with especially when you talk about cost. You are paying the same money for bullets and getting an inferior product. The ballistic coefficient and sectional density of the quarter bore sucks ass. Down range killing power of 6 or 6.5mm is much better and they are very close to the same size as .257.

I mean no disrespect to you or your point of view. I just see things differently.

fireguyty,

"First of all, Hodgdon list the smallest difference at the 117 grain bullets at 253 fps, and the largest at 100 grain bullets at 360 fps."

Where are you getting this data?

Hodgdon load center.

Took the fastest load from each bullet weight for each caliber.

fireguyty,

I think we might be pushin the envelope here a little. Looking at Hodgdon, and then my manuals, I can't get the extremes of difference that you are. The H data doesn't list enough pertinent data to proclaim the differences that you claim.

The manuals I have list about a 200fps diff between the two cartridges.

If you proclaim the diff is greater, please show your examples. Same bullet and barrel length criteria, please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's only 360 fps and in real world hunting distances it makes no difference, right? </div></div>

Right, a deer shot at 250yds or so with a 117sp from a 257Wby will be no deader than a deer shot by a 117sp from a 25-06, or 350, or 450.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Because I have seen a coyote be knocked down by a 223, and a 22-250 that means that they are basically the same? </div></div>

When it comes to the dead coyote yes, he couldn't tell the difference, ballisticly no.

I mean no disrespect to you or your point of view. I just see things differently. </div></div>

None taken.

I use .30-06 brass for "short neck" versions of my 6.5-280 AI. The brass is cheap and plentiful and only requires neck sizing to be ready for loading. Anything based off of a common parent cartridge will save you hundreds of dollars. Even the dies are less expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...It outpreforms the 25-06 by 200-300 fps

The 257 Wea is like being 200 yards closer to the target. </div></div>

The first might and might not be true, and the second statement is DEFINITELY NOT true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fireguyty,

I think we might be pushin the envelope here a little. Looking at Hodgdon, and then my manuals, I can't get the extremes of difference that you are. The H data doesn't list enough pertinent data to proclaim the differences that you claim.

The manuals I have list about a 200fps diff between the two cartridges.

If you proclaim the diff is greater, please show your examples. Same bullet and barrel length criteria, please. </div></div>

I only listed the fastest powder for each bullet weight.

Per Hodgdon load center:
257 Weatherby

117 Hornday: only 4 powders listed
3390 FPS with IMR 7828

100 Speer: only 5 powders listed
3655 with IMR 7828

As you can see, Hodgdon considers the 257 a dead caliber. Who knows how high you could get if you tested some newer magnum powders.

25-06

117 Hornday
12 powders listed
3137 with IMR 4831

100 Nosler partition (different bullet, same weight)
16 powders listed
3295 with H100V

Those were the highest difference and lowest difference in velocity for 253 and 360 fps difference.

I have no idea what barrel length they used. For all I know, they used an 18" 25-06 and a 30" 257 Weatherby.

I am in no way a proponent of either. I don't like quarterbore. I think the 257 Weatherby is hugely overbore. All I am saying is that no they are not the same. Sure both deer are just as dead, but with one you could consider using it on larger game and not the other. The same is said with the 223 vs 22-250. One can be used for coyote. The other can be used for coyote or deer.

The real problem here is that people get their panties in a bunch when you say that their X is not as good as his Y. Look at the thing from a non-biased point of view. A 300 Winchester Magnum is capable of killing larger game than a 308 Winchester simple as that.

I like ranger1183's idea. Build an overbore 6.5. Or better yet a 6-06. Both are laser beams inside of 400 yards just like the 257 Weatherby, but keep going out farther and have a higher sectional density for more killing power.

"100 Nosler partition (different bullet, same weight)
16 powders listed
3295 with H100V"

I can push this bullet to 3400fps, perhaps more, right out of the Nosler manual, if using a 26" barrel, with the 25-06. With 257 Wea, 26", 200 fps faster.

We need to compare apples to apples. If we do, I think we'll see 200 fps between the cartridges. Not 360.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"100 Nosler partition (different bullet, same weight)
16 powders listed
3295 with H100V"

I can push this bullet to 3400fps, perhaps more, right out of the Nosler manual, if using a 26" barrel, with the 25-06. With 257 Wea, 26", 200 fps faster.

We need to compare apples to apples. If we do, I think we'll see 200 fps between the cartridges. Not 360.

</div></div>
I am at a loss of what to say. You are right? You asked for my references which I gave you. You are now saying that Hodgdon is wrong? They tested 16 powders to 5.

You are saying that the difference is a different bullet of the same weight measured from the muzzle? Really?

I don't care anymore, you are trying to make this into something that it isn't.

I would split the difference and go with a 25-06 improved. not quite on par with a 257 WBY but a definite improvement on the 25-06

fireguyty,

I'm not trying to make anything. It's when peeps start making inflated claims, that I think they might need to be checked. That's what we were doing.

The 257 Wea gives about 200 fps extra velocity, and that's about it. Not 360.

So, we get about 6% more velocity, for about 25-33% more powder usage.

And the claim of 400 yard hits on an 8" target is close,but not quite, with a 100 gr bullet. Really, I would dial for anything beyond 350, and dial or hold a little under at ~ 200.

Sure both deer are just as dead, but with one you could consider using it on larger game and not the other. The same is said with the 223 vs 22-250. One can be used for coyote. The other can be used for coyote or deer.
</div></div>
It seems as though you are basing a cartridges potential purely on its velocity. I have no problem with velocity, but it doesn't always make one cartridge better than another. For example:<span style="font-weight: bold"> "The same is said with the 223 vs 22-250. One can be used for coyote. The other can be used for coyote or deer."</span>The .223 with its standard 9 twist shooting heavy bullets(60+) would be far better suited for shooting deer than the 22-250 shooting it's 50-55gr bullets, regardless of range. Of course a fast twist 22-250 would be better, but we are discussing standard equipment, at least so far we have been.
The same could be said about the 25-06 & .257Wby, one is faster, but that alone does not make it "better". One needs to weigh all aspects of the cartridge he plans to use and what application he is using it for. Comparing apples to apples, the Wby will always be faster, but like I said before, that does not guarantee anything to the guy behind the rifle. I would (and already have) go as far as to say; anything shooter #1 does with his 257Wby at normal hunting ranges and conditions, could be done just the same by shooter #2 with his 25-06. Speed is only one part of the equation.

The real problem here is that people get their panties in a bunch when you say that their X is not as good as his Y. Look at the thing from a non-biased point of view. A 300 Winchester Magnum is capable of killing larger game than a 308 Winchester simple as that.
</div></div>
Again, I dont understand this statement, sure a WM has more downrange velocity and energy than the .308. But how does that translate to "larger" game? I could definitely agree it has a better envelope for reasons already mentioned, If I was shooting at a deer or elk at 600+ yards then I would rather have the downrange power of the WM. But again if we are talking about your average hunting scenario of 500yds or less, either one would do the job just fine. Does that make them equals? No, but the dead deer,elk,moose,antelope,caribou,ect. wont know the difference. At the closer ranges the WM will probably do more damage, that can be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

I dont know about the panties in a bunch, I dont mind any of this. The .257 Wby is faster than my 25-06, but I have never considered that alone make it "better" than mine. As a matter of fact, in retrospect, alot of my favorite loads aren't even fast for a 25-06, but that hasn't stopped it from killing elk, deer, and a plethora of varmints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fireguyty,

I'm not trying to make anything. It's when peeps start making inflated claims, that I think they might need to be checked. That's what we were doing.

And the claim of 400 yard hits on an 8" target is close,but not quite, with a 100 gr bullet. Really, I would dial for anything beyond 350, and dial or hold a little under at ~ 200.</div></div>

As previously stated, I don't care anymore. I think if Jesus Hisself were to pick the perfect caliber it would be a 25-06.

I won't however, be accused of making inflated claims. I gave you the reference to the velocity. If you don't believe Hodgdon's findings then throw the 360 out the window. Also throw all of the other bullet weights that they tested in both that are between THIER claimed velocity of 360 and use the lowest difference which is at 90 grains where the 257 Weatherby is faster by 248 FPS. Which is still 48 fps above what you are claiming the difference is.

To further this point I got out my Lyman book. They used 26" barrels on both rifles and 3 bullets matched up perfectly. The lowest difference was at 87 grains for 253 fps. The highest difference was at 100 grains for 324 fps.

MY claim was 200-300 fps difference, but I was wrong. According to two different references the difference is between 248-360 fps.

The other supposed inflated claim is that 400 yard shots can't be made. Well you obviously took the time to check the ballistic calculator and found that that load drops 7.89" at 400 yards with a 285 yard zero. Are the mule deer in mi,usa only 8" from top of back to front leg crease? Are you sure you arn't hunting Sitka deer?

I am not going to analyze your powder percentages, because I agree. An overbore 25 is a waste of time.

I have not one time asked you for any reference, but after giving you references that you for some reason do not recognize I will now ask for your reference. Please give me the highest and lowest difference from the Nosler book. I loaned mine to Buddy32, but I will be checking it.

Take no offense, I'm just trying to keep peeps from making inflated claims.

Coldbore, I can't argue with your choice of caliber for any game. I got into this mix because of a statement that I disagreed with.

I think the right caliber for particular animals is a personal choice based on what you think you can make a clean kill with. I for one would not go out for a Moose with anything smaller than a 300 Mag of some sort.

Although I made a shot on man sized steel the other day at 2130 yards with my 338 Lapua, I am proud to say that my farthest game shot is only 350 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fireguyty,

And the claim of 400 yard hits on an 8" target is close,but not quite, with a 100 gr bullet. Really, I would dial for anything beyond 350, and dial or hold a little under at ~ 200.</div></div>

As previously stated, I don't care anymore. I think if Jesus Hisself were to pick the perfect caliber it would be a 25-06.

I won't however, be accused of making inflated claims. I gave you the reference to the velocity. If you don't believe Hodgdon's findings then throw the 360 out the window. Also throw all of the other bullet weights that they tested in both that are between THIER claimed velocity of 360 and use the lowest difference which is at 90 grains where the 257 Weatherby is faster by 248 FPS. Which is still 48 fps above what you are claiming the difference is.

To further this point I got out my Lyman book. They used 26" barrels on both rifles and 3 bullets matched up perfectly. The lowest difference was at 87 grains for 253 fps. The highest difference was at 100 grains for 324 fps.

MY claim was 200-300 fps difference, but I was wrong. According to two different references the difference is between 248-360 fps.

The other supposed inflated claim is that 400 yard shots can't be made. Well you obviously took the time to check the ballistic calculator and found that that load drops 7.89" at 400 yards with a 285 yard zero. Are the mule deer in mi,usa only 8" from top of back to front leg crease? Are you sure you arn't hunting Sitka deer?

I am not going to analyze your powder percentages, because I agree. An overbore 25 is a waste of time.

I have not one time asked you for any reference, but after giving you references that you for some reason do not recognize I will now ask for your reference. Please give me the highest and lowest difference from the Nosler book. I loaned mine to Buddy32, but I will be checking it.

Take no offense, I'm just trying to keep peeps from making inflated claims. </div></div>

Tell you what. If you wish to continue this, first show me your 8" kill zone of 400 yards. That would include 4" max ord, and a 4" or less drop at 400 yards. If you can't attain that, then it's inflated. If you can attain it, then I'll believe all that you have said.

Nosler book #4; 100 gr ballistic tips

25-06 100 gr 3352 24" barrel
257 Wea 100 gr 3602 26" barrel

Add 2" to 06 barrel 3402 = 200fps diff

Much the norm wherever I look. Some newer powder offerings might have changed things, but I don't have that data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell you what. If you wish to continue this, first show me your 8" kill zone of 400 yards. That would include 4" max ord, and a 4" or less drop at 400 yards. If you can't attain that, then it's inflated. <span style="color: #CC0000">If you can attain it, then I'll believe all that you have said.</span></div></div>

The information requested

Again, here is the reference material requested, and ironically enough the 6th paragraph describes the exact shot I am talking about. It also describes a Mule deer as having a 13-17" kill zone. I'm sure you won't take the time to read this either, but if you can have some one help you sound out the bigger words you will find that on this too you are completely wrong.

Now then, next time please be considerate and be quiet with the grown folks are talking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a good look at a 25 x 284 win if you are a quarter bore guy, you will be pleasantly surprised. 25 06 AI isn't a bad choice to slum with as well. </div></div>

Why? Who has time to form brass all day when you can just buy 25-06 brass and go shoot?

Some of you guys try to be too cute.

Jason

I say 25-06. My opinion is that velocity, BC, energy blah blah blah don't mean shit if you can't find affordable ammo at your local Walmart or hardware store. Ive seen a guy in the Walmart in Billings mad as hell that they had no "396 Ultra STW Mags" in stock and he was 600 miles from home.

I tell everyone who will listen- buy the caliber you can shoot the most. Meaning- cheapest ammo, least recoil, longest barrel life- all the things that will allow you to get to know your rifle well enough to MAKE A PROPER SHOTS WHEN IT COUNTS

If you see an animal get "dirt-rolled" with a 257WM, I'd bet a testicle it was all to do with the shot placement and next to nothing to do with an extra 300fps or what-have-you. If shooter was using a .257 Roberts and made same shot, that animals still dies a humane death.

I say the path to proficiency is easier with the 25-06 than it is with 257WM. Take the money you save to buy more ammo and shoot more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say 25-06. My opinion is that velocity, BC, energy blah blah blah don't mean shit if you can't find affordable ammo at your local Walmart or hardware store. Ive seen a guy in the Walmart in Billings mad as hell that they had no "396 Ultra STW Mags" in stock and he was 600 miles from home.

I tell everyone who will listen- buy the caliber you can shoot the most. Meaning- cheapest ammo, least recoil, longest barrel life- all the things that will allow you to get to know your rifle well enough to MAKE A PROPER SHOTS WHEN IT COUNTS

If you see an animal get "dirt-rolled" with a 257WM, I'd bet a testicle it was all to do with the shot placement and next to nothing to do with an extra 300fps or what-have-you. If shooter was using a .257 Roberts and made same shot, that animals still dies a humane death.

I say the path to proficiency is easier with the 25-06 than it is with 257WM. Take the money you save to buy more ammo and shoot more often.
</div></div>

Couldn't agree more. Well put.