• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25-06

chevy_man

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2019
    I figured with the Blackjacks we needed a thread for the little bit of data there is in the -06. Seems like most everything is for the Creed. However, feel free to post up any other loads.

I've been shooting 115 Partitions and 115 ballistic tips for a long time.

115 Partition
    WW brass
    Rem 9 1/2M
    Retumbo (book max is way below where I found pressure signs, so I'll refer to Nosler that 58 grns is max.)

Same recipe for the ballistic tips.

Both are cruising just over 3000 fps, as that's where I found a good node.

For the Blackjacks.

I had planned on starting with about 55grn Retumbo
    .020" off the lands
    Remington brass (I have several gallons waiting to be annealed)
    9 1/2M

Barrel should be here in 4-5 weeks. So it'll probably be middle of August before I get time to start development.

Reactions: Soulezoo
    I've had my .25-06 for a while (24 years) and mine likes 117 gr Sierra Game Kings. I need to recheck the powder and charge weight but it has alway been more accurate that I prefer to post. I think the cartridge is still a great cartridge and will never get rid of the rifle but it has fallen by the wayside as I've gotten more into the 6.5s and 6s.

Keep these posts going though!

chevy_man, I've been with the 25-06 for quite a while as well. I started with a bone stock Tikka T3, then got that rebarreled with a KP1-9" twist for the bergers and barnes. I've since moved up to a 1-7.5" twist Hawk Hill 26" barrel to run the blackjacks. I used that very rifle at the Q creek ELR match last month and it performed wonderfully. I used IMR8133, rem brass and CCIBR2 primers. I made it up to 60gr and was teetering on the edge of trouble, but the accuracy and speed were there. I got 3180 with that load. In cooler temps I could use up to 61.5gr and get over 3200fps, but those were shiny and not worth the risk.

I tried retumbo, It worked very well but low stock on hand kept me from pursuing it further. You'll probably end up close to 60gr if you push it. the high ~50grs will net you over 3100 easy in a 26" barrel. I will say that the CCI primers are harder and handle more pressure than the Federal GMM primers. Tried both and the Feds blew about 1.5gr lower than the CCI's would even flatten.

Reactions: RyBoy and CcoFirst
    I figured with the Blackjacks we needed a thread for the little bit of data there is in the -06. Seems like most everything is for the Creed. However, feel free to post up any other loads.

I've been shooting 115 Partitions and 115 ballistic tips for a long time.

115 Partition
    WW brass
    Rem 9 1/2M
    Retumbo (book max is way below where I found pressure signs, so I'll refer to Nosler that 58 grns is max.)

Same recipe for the ballistic tips.

Both are cruising just over 3000 fps, as that's where I found a good node.

For the Blackjacks.

I had planned on starting with about 55grn Retumbo
    .020" off the lands
    Remington brass (I have several gallons waiting to be annealed)
    9 1/2M

Barrel should be here in 4-5 weeks. So it'll probably be middle of August before I get time to start development.
    What twist are you going with? Those black Jacks may like a gain twist and bring some Life back to the 25-06. I have hunted with a Browning ABolt for years and about to start working on the rifle to see what I can get out of it at longer ranges. 120g Partion is a new one I’m going to work up for deer/hogs, I’ve always shot 115 Balistic Tips but hogs have invaded so I’m trying a Partion this year.

I use a 7.5" twist in my 25-06 for the blackjack bullets. If you have a standard 25-06 twist, they most likely won't work. They need a pretty good spin.

I shoot the quarter bore with the 131 bullets. I keep it @2940 with match primers. H4831. 1:7 because that was recommended early on and has since migrated to a recommended 1:7.5 but that is immaterial.

Reactions: CcoFirst
    I'm waiting on a 24" McGowan 1:7. Even though I'm most likely never really use it without a can I just couldn't bring myself to a shorter barrel with that powder to bore ratio.

I'll never not have a 25-06, shot my first deer with one, many others and a few elk later it just works.

I've been gathering retumbo. Although I'll grab some 8133 if I don't already have some to play with.

One of the issues I have in MT is hunting season can be 55* or -40*. I tend to keep my loads on the safe side. (My retumbo loads were worked up before any official data, and scared me a bit when I saw a new manual with data).

The waiting game continues, I'll hopefully have a few weeks before hunting season to get a base load dialed m

Reactions: CcoFirst
    I have a Remington 700 in .25-06. I use Remington Brass, 117SST, H4831 and CCI 250 primers. Shoots at 2950 and .5MOA all day.

Last edited:
    I've wondered about those bullets. How far do they maintain that level of accuracy?

I have only been able to shoot out to 200 yards. The group was .66 MOA. I am happy with them. I am considering trying the Accubond. I got sub .5 MOA once I turned the necks down .005. It really made a difference. Now it shoots in the .2s at 100 with a sporter barrel. I need to stretch the legs.

chevy_man, I've been with the 25-06 for quite a while as well. I started with a bone stock Tikka T3, then got that rebarreled with a KP1-9" twist for the bergers and barnes. I've since moved up to a 1-7.5" twist Hawk Hill 26" barrel to run the blackjacks. I used that very rifle at the Q creek ELR match last month and it performed wonderfully. I used IMR8133, rem brass and CCIBR2 primers. I made it up to 60gr and was teetering on the edge of trouble, but the accuracy and speed were there. I got 3180 with that load. In cooler temps I could use up to 61.5gr and get over 3200fps, but those were shiny and not worth the risk.

I tried retumbo, It worked very well but low stock on hand kept me from pursuing it further. You'll probably end up close to 60gr if you push it. the high ~50grs will net you over 3100 easy in a 26" barrel. I will say that the CCI primers are harder and handle more pressure than the Federal GMM primers. Tried both and the Feds blew about 1.5gr lower than the CCI's would even flatten.
    Did you ever consider reaming it out to a 40° shoulder? I'm not sure how much more velocity you could get, but I would imagine that you're pretty compressed at 61.5 grains? I have been extremely unimpressed with the Winchester 25-06 brass, I tried Nosler and it wasn't terrible, but the primer pockets were blowing out too quickly with my hotter rounds so I've started resizing Lapua 30-06 brass. In almost every cartridge I've experimented with H1000 was more accurate than Retumbo.

You've been happy with IMR8133? Did.you test any other powders? What kind of distances are you shooting with the blackjacks?

I haven't gone as far as AI on the 2506, just not enough in it for me. I was compressed to the point where I had to vibrate the case ready to settle the powder before seating. It was all I could get into the case. If I get new brass, I'll neck down the lapua 3006 brass for sure. I popped a couple primers with that load, but it helped me get hits out to 2100yds last summer. H1000 wouldn't get me the speed I wanted before pressuring or in the rem brass.

Reactions: RyBoy
    I popped a couple primers with that load, but it helped me get hits out to 2100yds last summer. H1000 wouldn't get me the speed I wanted before pressuring or in the rem brass.
    Man that's incredible. I love the 25 06. I have a 9 twist douglas premium on mine. I was going to order a new barrel two years ago and ream it for 280 AI but I started printing incredible groups out of it. I worked with badlands precision and they designed a lighter bullet that will out perform the 115 gr bergers I've been shooting at 600 yards. I'm going to use it in some f open matches this summer. I toss around the idea of improving the shoulder almost daily.

What I don't know is if it will give me any increase at all. I use h4831sc and get signs of over pressure at 55 grains. That is obviously far from a compressed load and I don't know how much more I can go if
    improved.