• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25-06ai ruger no1 with 135gr bergers

Gmerc

Private
Minuteman
Hi all. First time posting from Australia.
I have a Ruger no1 in 25-06 and I am wanting to rebarrel it to a 25-06AI 1:7.5 twist 26” heavy barrel to shoot 135 bergers for deer.
I’m not concerned with barrel life or any of those factors.
Just wanting to know if anyone has any experience with the performance of such a set up and loads and powders associated.
Keep in my mind we only currently have access to ADI powders like H4350, H4831sc, Varget, H1000 ect.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

I have not rebarreled my custom .25-06 AI with the new barrel yet... But when I do, it will be with one I purchased years ago and it's been sitting in a corner of the closet in the reloading room... It's Proof Research Sendero carbon fiber blank that will finish at 26", and has a 7.5" twist rate. So, it will get done someday, just waiting on the barrel to burn-out, which will probably be a while.

As for powders, I use IMR 7828 SSC for it, currently with the Burger 115 VLD's due to the 10" twist, and achieve nearly .257 Wby performance from it. I used to have a .257 Wby as well (26") so I compared them side-by-side a lot. I ended up within 75-100 FPS MV of the Weatherby. So, I was very happy with the outcome.

Yeah I don’t think we can get the IMR powders here unfortunately
Here's a good range around the same burn rate as 7828 SSC... This is from the 2023 Hodgdon Burn Rate Chart.

You might be able to find something similar that is available in Australia.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.19.28 PM.png

Hi all. First time posting from Australia.
I have a Ruger no1 in 25-06 and I am wanting to rebarrel it to a 25-06AI 1:7.5 twist 26” heavy barrel to shoot 135 bergers for deer.
I’m not concerned with barrel life or any of those factors.
Just wanting to know if anyone has any experience with the performance of such a set up and loads and powders associated.
Keep in my mind we only currently have access to ADI powders like H4350, H4831sc, Varget, H1000 ect.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
All I've ever used in the 25-06 is H8831SC. Improved won't change that. I'm sure H1000 would work fine as well but 4831SC would be my starting point.