• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25/35 WCF Whatcha got?

Hookturnr

Low Speed, High Drag
Minuteman
  • Jan 20, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA ish..
    I'm not new to reloading by any means, but I've never reloaded for an antique lever gun. Anything in particular that these guns require you look out for?

Anyone got data and experience with this cartridge? I have the Hornady 7th? edition and the Lee data to start out with.

I have reloaded for Winchester, Marlins and Savage models since the '70s.
    Many old rifles have excessive headspace causing primers to back out to various degrees. Even full length sized rounds will sometimes give a tiny resistance to final bolt closing, especially with brass fired in other rifles. A different die brand may help you or not, there is lots of flexing/movement in levers. Savage 99 actions are not as "springy" as the others so seem not to present these issue "as much", but still might. I believe that newer Win 25/35 was loaded with 28gr of 748 with 117gr flatpoint bullet. I duplicated this load and got exact velocities etc in my 1937 94 carbine, it was very accurate. 3031 powder is an excellent substitute. Use a heavy crimp to keep bullets from setting back while in the magazine. The levers have very limited extraction power compared to a bolt action so a person can easily stick a case in the chamber with an errant load. I have always loaded slightly below max for my levers, and the more worn they are the lower my charge will be. Enjoy!

Last edited:
    I have the somewhat "modern" version, a .25 Bullberry in a 15" TC Contender. I'm in the process of fireforming a bunch of brass I resized from 1x fired Win .30-30, using bulk 115gr BT spitzers and either 4895 or 4064. I know Hodgdon lists data on their reloading site, using 60-117gr bullets. I picked up mine to shoot 75gr bullets, and most of the pistol data for the .25 BB basically duplicates factory .25-35 loads out of a 24" rifle.

Mine is a 1919 Win 1894 takedown. I'm loading the 110gr. FTX on top of a dose of H380 TBD. IIRC, I was getting 2470ish with the factory ammo using this bullet and I will be looking to load just a tad lighter for the old girl.