• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 cal. muzzle brake?

Ranger188

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
Does anyone make a 25 cal. ( .257 ) specific muzzle brake?
Going on a 25 saum with a HV contour
Don't really want a 6.5

Pick any that fit your barrel thread up to 30 cal.
Any reasonable clearance only makes a little difference if it's .030" to .1" in recoil reduction.
Or...a 6mm if it fits the thread, just make sure ya have .030" clearance ... drill it out for bullet clearance...I use a lathe and boring bar. I repurpose muzzle brakes all the time, including re-threading to fit the muzzle. Simple...
Here is an example... bullet too large, so drill or bore out the brake for clearance, this one was also faced when mounted on the barrel ...so it's quite "Marry Popins" when finished. Or parallel and perpendicular, as the bullet passes through, possibly aiding in accuracy, as the bullet comes out of the barrel bore, everything is equal on all sides and the face is exactly perpendicular to the bullet on exit. Life is like a box of chocolates, sometimes ya get the yucky one...Don't sweat the small stuff ...fix it.

Attachments

• 20210706_135922.jpg
    20210706_135922.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210706_151908.jpg
    20210706_151908.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 26
I've read where .020 is optimal clearance for accuracy.
Might just be internet hype.

I've read where .020 is optimal clearance for accuracy.
Might just be internet hype.
.030" oversize is as close as you want. In tests it made little difference if it was .030" to .060" even .1" over bullet diameter worked surprisingly well. I sometimes make my own muzzle brakes, and they are .030" over, and never use crush washers. Commonly used Crush washers do not allow a perfect square seat, and can force the brake bore off center of the rifle bore, causing some rather ugly runout of the brake. Plus a host of other manufacturing faults can cause misalignment of the two bores. As in the picture above the brake runout was excessive even when butted against the square face of the barrel, and the brake bore, bored out and re faced square. You can machine and thread a barrel stub and check your brake runout in a lathe, add a crush washer and tighten more runout will be added.
That and fouling build up, can get bullet interference if the bullet and brake are too close in diameter. Plus the fact there is little benefit in going closer.

Reactions: Ranger188
020, in my opinion, is the optimal clearance for accuracy.
Did you measure the dia ...exactly? Did you make the brake? Did you try a bunch of other diameters ? like at least 10 brakes in several calibers? Or even one?. Run hundreds of groups to find that .020 is optimal for accuracy? A bold statement with no practical experimentation to be valid in anyway. And if such data were presented, would it be true for the next rifle...Or is the weight change of the bore diameter increase enough to change the harmonics to affect accuracy, for a particular barrel dia and caliber?
I do not think it would have any effect on practical accuracy if any attachments are centered perfectly and faced perpendicular to the bore on exit ..if too close, dia as to be affected by fouling or slightly cocked to the side, that will likely affect accuracy...just decreasing the dia of the rifles muzzle when machining & threading for a brake was supposed to open the bore dia slightly to relieve internal rifling stress, causing a slight decrease in accuracy...according to those who experimented with such things in Precision Shooting, many years ago.
I have seen tests on recoil reduction related to brake bore over sizing and it made little difference in recoil. But no studies on brake bore diameter and accuracy.

The barrel lands and grooves are in actual contact with the bullet as it exits the barrel, that's why the crown is critical.
If you're shooting F-Class or Benchrest, then there could be a measurable and consistent difference to be found. For PRS, hunting or other shooting disciplines, .020" to .050' of bullet clearance won't make enough of a difference to print on a paper target at 100 yards or 200 yards.
Run the 6.5mm brake and worry about the things that matter.

Reactions: iceng and 45-90
I use 6.5 brakes on all my 25 cal stuff…. And that included a 25 SAUM. YMMV

Reactions: 45-90
Yep the 6.5 brake...its made for the 25 cals too...Look at the bullet dia .257" and .264" bullet dia. A Difference of .007" dia! Or an extra .0035" clearance around the circumference of the bullet. Big Whoop!
Or machine your own, like I do, if I really feel the need....
Next subject, this one has been solved.