• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 Creedmoor build

geclevel

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2023
UTAH
I had a MAC EVO II SS action mated to a Shilen #17 Sendero barrel. I have the Timney trigger and McMillan stock on order with Hawkins bottom metal.
I reload for all my handgun and rifle loads. I researched but I am a little lost on how to reload for the 25 Creedmoor. I read I need to change the bushing. I just don't know where the busing is located for me to change out. I have 6.5 Creedmoor Lee dies. Can I use these or do I need to get 6mm dies?

Thank you for all the help.

you need something like
or

and the pick bushing based on brass/bullet/neck tension

As stated above you need a bushing die of some flavour. I use a lot of redding dies but the SAC dies are amazing!!

You need a bushing that is the bullet diameter plus the neck thickness of the brass minus .001-.005 thou for neck tension. Standard seems to be .002-.003 thou below

Reactions: JeffLebowski
you need something like
or

and the pick bushing based on brass/bullet/neck tension
Haven't tried going smaller with 6.5CM but wouldnt neck turning be required or just neck up 6mm CM and be done ?

Best brass options: alpha 65 and lapua 65 necked down. I had some ocd 25cm brass and necks are too thin for most the common 290 or 291nk chambers. I use a bullet central micron die with a 283 bushing and that gives me 3k tension. Running 135 Bergers at 2860 35k jump, shoots in the 3s for 10 shot groups and does very well at distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrspence
Alpha 25cm srp brass. Redding type s .282 bushing. Still running the remainder of my ace blackjack 131 stash 20k jump 2950 fps.

I just took my 25 Creed out for the first time today. I got LE Wilson 6.5 die's and a 282 bushing and a 2555 mandrel gives me .002 neck tension with Peterson 25 creed LRP brass, fed 210m primers.
Used Staball 6.5 and was actually shocked with the speeds I got from a 22" barrel.

Reactions: Stevo86
Thanks all for the responses. I am still gathering supplies as I await my McMillian stock to be made and delivered. I bought some rounds from Unknown Munitions. From there I will be using 6.5 brass since I already have that from my Bergara 6.5.

Hello all. I received my McMillian stock and I am stoked! Fits like a glove. I did purchase a Hawkins M5 DBM bottom plate. I purchased Hawkins magazine but it was the wrong one. Which magazine do I purchase to fit my 25 creed and the Hawkins M5 DBM bottom plate? I don't want to order the wrong one again.
Thanks in advance.

Hello all. I received my McMillian stock and I am stoked! Fits like a glove. I did purchase a Hawkins M5 DBM bottom plate. I purchased Hawkins magazine but it was the wrong one. Which magazine do I purchase to fit my 25 creed and the Hawkins M5 DBM bottom plate? I don't want to order the wrong one again.
Thanks in advance.
Any short action aics mag should work with the traditional hawkins m5 dbm. Even aw mags will work if the actions cut for it. Is this a hawkins hunter dbm? My hunter dbm takes aics mags no issues in testing, as well as hawkins hunter. Depending on the pillar height or how its bedded, the mag latch may need shortened if you cannot get the mag up to the latch.

Something to test: I think if you replace(with a 25 caliber) or remove the expander button and use a proper sized mandrel, the nonbushing 6.5 dies may neck down your brass good enough. It's only .007 different.

Any short action aics mag should work with the traditional hawkins m5 dbm. Even aw mags will work if the actions cut for it. Is this a hawkins hunter dbm? My hunter dbm takes aics mags no issues in testing, as well as hawkins hunter. Depending on the pillar height or how its bedded, the mag latch may need shortened if you cannot get the mag up to the latch.
I ordered this bottom plate

Hawkins Precision Remington 700 M5 Detachable Box Magazine​

and the Hawkins Precision Hunter Magazine, Short Action, 6.5 PRC/SAUM, 3 rounds, Black, 311-1002.02-3RD

On the mag the catch is at the very bottom and the mag latch lever on the DBM is very long. I went to the store and bought a AICS mag and it has the sam issue. The bottom plate of the magazine hits the bottom of the DBM metal. What am I doing wrong?

I ordered this bottom plate

Hawkins Precision Remington 700 M5 Detachable Box Magazine​

and the Hawkins Precision Hunter Magazine, Short Action, 6.5 PRC/SAUM, 3 rounds, Black, 311-1002.02-3RD

On the mag the catch is at the very bottom and the mag latch lever on the DBM is very long. I went to the store and bought a AICS mag and it has the sam issue. The bottom plate of the magazine hits the bottom of the DBM metal. What am I doing wrong?
Believe that mag isnt gonna work with creed cases. The hawkins hunter creed mag is too short internally IMHO. My 25 creed is 2.85 OAL jumping 35k. That hunter creed mag is 2.88 max I believe, which doesn't leave much room to persue lands. Get an mdt 5 or 10rd non binder mag with 2.95 internal and it'll be much more flexible for you.

Believe that mag isnt gonna work with creed cases. The hawkins hunter creed mag is too short internally IMHO. My 25 creed is 2.85 OAL jumping 35k. That hunter creed mag is 2.88 max I believe, which doesn't leave much room to persue lands. Get an mdt 5 or 10rd non binder mag with 2.95 internal and it'll be much more flexible for you.
Why isn't the mag catch engaging? It still should engage regardless of the round I put in the mag, right? My Unknown munitions loaded 25 creed fit in the mag, for now. My issue is the mag catch wont engage and hold the mag.

Why isn't the mag catch engaging? It still should engage regardless of the round I put in the mag, right? My Unknown munitions loaded 25 creed fit in the mag, for now. My issue is the mag catch wont engage and hold the mag.
The hunter mags are designed for flush mount dbm, the hawkins m5 has a barricade stop that may be prevent the mag from fully seating. Try a standard aics. If it's bottoming into the action and not latching. Whoever bedded didn't set pillar height to proper m5 specs. These are two of the possible problems. Tough to know without seeing it in person.

25CM is looking like great idea. My .308 Tikka uses a 2.92" mag so plenty of room. A huge upgrade if I go for a 26" barrel over the current 20" .308 :unsure:

he got the saum/prc mhunter mag. wondering how well bending the feed lips will work