• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 prc 25 saum 257 weatherby..... 131 bj or 120 pva

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Looking for peoples experience and barrel life. Even some loads. Looking into a 25 cal and cant decide on these 3 going back and fourth. Pva new 120 grain looks amazing .365 g7 and could push it fast

I decided on the 25 prc and going to try the pva 120 bullet first g7 .365. I shoot there 151 7mm hunting bullet and found there bc very close for me. What is the powder you use on the sst and barrel life? I heard that the sst and prc are very close in capacity

I'm curious where are you seeing these 120gr Seneca match solids from PVA? I can't find them on their website. The 25 sst is going to be running H1000, I had to get a new barrel due the 7.5tw proof being on the tight side. I couldn't get above 3070fps with any powder and not have swipe/ejector marks. This case runs 3200 with many powders. My barrel is 26"
    Call them there not up on website yet i ordered 100 of them. Yeah im hoping to run imr 8133 powder in the 25 prc with that 120 at 3250ish

Last edited:
    Reactions: khuber84
    If the 120 is a bore ride like the Cayuga line, chances are it'll work best quicker Than normal burn rate for bullet weight.
    In my 6.5 prc/saum/max I run rl23 with best results with the 122 Cayuga. Rl26 will go faster but the accuracy isn't there.
    With a 120 in the 25prc, I'd think rl26/H1000/N565 would give the best speeds. 8133 is quite DIRTY in my usage. I tried it in my 6.5 max with 156 bergers and it had some the lowest speeds to pressure. I tried everything(7 powders) from RL26 to RL33 burn rates.
    8133 does give good speeds in my bros 7mag with 180s but it's pretty compressed warm load, and it does foul with carbon pretty quickly. I'd think going down in bore size would induce the occurrence even more.
    Ive been using the imr 8133 in my 7mm rem mag target with 197 smk and have had great results with it. My speeds are down but i was trying to mock my h1000 loads to keep in same node. H1000 was going threw brass like crazy switched to imr 8133 and way easier on brass. I also use it in 28 nosler 151 pva at 3228 great results also. I really havent found it to be dirty in my usage but i have read where people did say it was dirty for them. I feel like in my experience it was cleaner than h1000. The trouble is finding powder haha i might pick up 8 pounds of imr 7977 for the 25 prc but hoping the imr 8133 gets me there. So your saying the bullets like to be pushed fast to have better accuracy?

Yes i tried rl 26 got 3300 but accuracy way pretty bad. Imr 8133 shoots lights out and kills great. But 28 nosler is a joke im having neck problems and need to neck turn or find new brass but didnt have time before hunting season

Im using adg brass. I looked up alot been a huge problem with many people 28 noslers reaching pressure to fast because of neck. Guys said neck up 26 nosler brass and it helped

Huh, my friends rifle had the neck issue, and we loaded some gunwerks brass, loaded neck od was 2k less than nosler. Your chamber must be extra tight in the neck. I have had to turn necks on all my adg brass for desired consistency. The pockets hold up very well though.
    Yeah it is tight. I read alot about that being a problem with the 28 nosler. I would never do another one after reading everything i did about them on a big scale. But it shoots great and worked great on my buck. I also tried some 143 hammers and only got 3330 out of them and had others with same problem but i guess sometimes things do go as planned lol hope the 25 prc works good

Both the 6.5 and 300 prc cases have been giving clickers after 2-4 firings depending on psi with adg brass. Saami max reamer is 533 at 200 line, ans adg brass sized in min saami dies is around 531. Have your smith take some sand paper and remove another thou to thou and a half out the bottom half inch of chamber. It appears to be the only cure for this problem.
    Im having pva do a shoulder prefit with there 25 prc reamer. Im pretty sure its a black jacket reamer but i will call them and see what he says thank you for heads up. I also seen that lapua is going to be releasing 6.5 prc brass in spring of 2021 and others which will be awesome

I really hope they are listening to the sizing issues. Adg brass is winder at the web than hornady. Lapua would be well ahead the game if they could set it at 528 at the 200 line. Adg is almost 530.
    I couldnt find any 6.5 prc brass besides hornady so that is what ill start with til brass opens back up. I was unaware of this issues dang it lol should of went saum

I have the blackjack spec saum reamer if you want to borrow it.
    Well I already paid for the 25 PRC so I will run with that and see how that goes but I'm not saying no in the near future of possibly borrowing that or how you want to work that out at least I can get some testing done on them 120 grain bullets and see how much I like them

25 SAUM here, 60 gr of RL26 gets me right at 3300fps out of a 26” 6.5 SAUM brass ran through a .283 bushing. Only have about 200 rounds on this rifle and haven’t had a chance to stretch it out

25 SAUM here, 60 gr of RL26 gets me right at 3300fps out of a 26” 6.5 SAUM brass ran through a .283 bushing. Only have about 200 rounds on this rifle and haven’t had a chance to stretch it out
    Nice is that with the 131 bj?

Yes sir, I Have the blackjack spec reamer as well. Rifle shoots lights out, I was trying to find some pics but don’t seem to have any.

🤷‍♂️ 1/7.5 twist 26” Bartlein.

Man you have a fast barrel, fast lot of rl26 or something. That's 100fps faster than my 26" proof barrel with RL26. I had the freebore punched out another 60k due to my intermediate action.
    Yeah he is smoking. That is like 257 weatherby velocity. I worried that barrel life would be cut way short like 700 rds with that

Yeah he is smoking. That is like 257 weatherby velocity. I worried that barrel life would be cut way short like 700 rds with that
    Oh it’s hot.... I’m prolly gonna have to back it down some. I wasn’t expecting more than 1000-1200 rounds out of this rifle. I saw a 257 wby going over 3400 and thought that was insane

Oh it’s hot.... I’m prolly gonna have to back it down some. I wasn’t expecting more than 1000-1200 rounds out of this rifle. I saw a 257 wby going over 3400 and thought that was insane
    Yeah i went with 25 prc for more life and pva has the new 120 grain figured i could make up speed with that bullet

Reactions: Stevo86
    Not sure if you guys heard that reloder 26 is burning throat faster then other powders same rumors as n 570 not sure if you guys had any experience with that since you guys are running reloder 26 I used to run reloadet 26 until it dried up and switched to Hodgons 1000 then sensed switch to IMR 8133 since I can't find no powder

My 25SST barrel has 1,136Rounds through it and still shoots very well even though it looks trashed in the bore scope. But I’m easy on it and run a mild load of H-1000 with the 131 BJ at 3170Fps, 26” barrel. Took it out to 2700yards last week but it was to wet to spot impacts well.

The SST has the same h20 volume as the 25PRC and will easily run the 131s over 3300 with rl26 and N570.

Don’t know anything about 120gr Pva bullet but until Berger’s new .25cal comes out it will be tough for anything to keep up with the 131gr BJ and they are priced well.

60gr of RL26 is hot!
    I had bolt lift at 59.5gr, velocity was 3382 with the BJ’s.

My other load for flat shooting is with the 90gr Absolute Hammers at 3780fps. But you can run them at 3900 and still get 3 Xings with ADG brass.

I tested IMR8133 and it was to slow for this cartridge. Velocities were not impressive and you can’t get enough powder in the case to reach pressure.

I also did load development on a friends 25SST 26” and his velocity's matched up with my barrel. His was a Bartlein 7.5” and mine is a Rock Creek 7”. His load was with RL26 runninG the BJ’s just under 3300.

Also spoke with another guy that was running RL26 in his 25SST and his barrel was toast before 600rounds.

My 25SST barrel has 1,136Rounds through it and still shoots very well even though it looks trashed in the bore scope. But I’m easy on it and run a mild load of H-1000 with the 131 BJ at 3170Fps, 26” barrel. Took it out to 2700yards last week but it was to wet to spot impacts well.

The SST has the same h20 volume as the 25PRC and will easily run the 131s over 3300 with rl26 and N570.

Don’t know anything about 120gr Pva bullet but until Berger’s new .25cal comes out it will be tough for anything to keep up with the 131gr BJ and they are priced well.

60gr of RL26 is hot!

My other load for flat shooting is with the 90gr Absolute Hammers at 3780fps. But you can run them at 3900 and still get 3 Xings with ADG brass.

I tested IMR8133 and it was to slow for this cartridge. Velocities were not impressive and you can’t get enough powder in the case to reach pressure.

I also did load development on a friends 25SST 26” and his velocity's matched up with my barrel. His was a Bartlein 7.5” and mine is a Rock Creek 7”. His load was with RL26 runninG the BJ’s just under 3300.

Also spoke with another guy that was running RL26 in his 25SST and his barrel was toast before 600rounds.
    Barrel life seems to all over place with that 25 sst. Do you remember the velocity you got with the imr 8133? The pva 120 is just a brand new release not even on website bc of g7 .365. They cost more but thought it would be fun to play with.
    Does your 1-7 twist rip the 131 apart at those speeds?
    Powder is just so hard to get right now specially 26 and n570 best i can do is imr 7977

If your running max loads 26 or 570 You'll probably be on the lower end of Bbl life.

I had a compressed load with 60gr of 8133, velocity was 3158. I might have been able to get 61-61.5gr in the case but I stopped at 60gr because it wasn’t looking promising as far as velocity. Never saw any pressure signs.

Well let us know how the PVA Bullets do.

Na 1-7 is fine, RPMs are a little high but no issues at all with the BJ’s. At 800 rounds I was running 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips at 3700 and they even held together barely at 380,000 rpm’s. I only had one blow up on me out of 100 and when it hit the paper target at 100yds It didn’t even come apart all the way. Just left a .50cal sized hole.
    I put one in a 120lb hog at 80yards and it was devestating, exit left a volley ball sized hole.
    I also run the 67gr Hammers at 4200fps in my 1-7. Haven’t tested them to much but they seem to do just fine even at 420,000 Rpm’s. That’s one advantage with the solids, they don’t come apart easy.

IMR 7977 should be similar to Vit565 and h1000. Should work well but It won’t get rl26 speeds.

If your running max loads 26 or 570 You'll probably be on the lower end of Bbl life.

I had a compressed load with 60gr of 8133, velocity was 3158. I might have been able to get 61-61.5gr in the case but I stopped at 60gr because it wasn’t looking promising as far as velocity. Never saw any pressure signs.

Well let us know how the PVA Bullets do.

Na 1-7 is fine, RPMs are a little high but no issues at all with the BJ’s. At 800 rounds I was running 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips at 3700 and they even held together barely at 380,000 rpm’s. I only had one blow up on me out of 100 and when it hit the paper target at 100yds It didn’t even come apart all the way. Just left a .50cal sized hole.
    I put one in a 120lb hog at 80yards and it was devestating, exit left a volley ball sized hole.
    I also run the 67gr Hammers at 4200fps in my 1-7. Haven’t tested them to much but they seem to do just fine even at 420,000 Rpm’s. That’s one advantage with the solids, they don’t come apart easy.

IMR 7977 should be similar to Vit565 and h1000. Should work well but It won’t get rl26 speeds.
    3158 with 131 so im guessing or hoping 3250ish with 120. I should say im running it in long action 25 prc and able to stick bullets out even more than short action. Well thats good to hear on bullets holding together.
    Yes i will update on these bullets when i get everything in. On paper they look great keeping up with much bigger rifles. I used the 151 pva hunting bullet and im very pleased with it and performance. Im really liking these solid bullets.

A medium or L/A will be ideal with the PRC for sure. My throat isn’t as long as possible so you might could get 62gr in the case.

The BJ Bullets have worked great so far. Solids have definitely been growing on me. The hammers don’t have the highest bc’s but are great for hunting and get higher velocities than conventional bullets.

A medium or L/A will be ideal with the PRC for sure. My throat isn’t as long as possible so you might could get 62gr in the case.

The BJ Bullets have worked great so far. Solids have definitely been growing on me. The hammers don’t have the highest bc’s but are great for hunting and get higher velocities than conventional bullets.
    Yeah long action setting bullets out will help i think. Yeah i never thought id shoot solids specially hunting but wow this year first year and excited to keep using them. I tried hammers but had better luck with pva bullets so went with them. Im also going to try pva new 25 cal 117 bullet to hunt with should be good

That’s why I went with the SST you can seat bullets out long and they still fit in a WSM Accurate Mag and I had a magnum S/A to work with.

What is the length, BC, and twist requirement for the Pva 117?

I’ve done load development on quite a few hunting rifles with Hammers in 6.5,7mm,.30cal, and .375. It doesn’t take much work to get them shooting well.

I have a long action tenacity i would love to get a short action magnum but cant swing it as of now. Added picture of the 117 from pva

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201101-213153.png
      Screenshot_20201101-213153.png
      786.4 KB · Views: 69
    Thanks for the specs.
    Always glad to see more badass 25cal options.

Yeah i find it very interesting how 25 cal is going. Ive heard berger and hornady is suppose to be jumping in too. I went with idea less recoil and still top performance

I think it’s just Berger now. But that could be years before it’s out.

The 25PRC is def a great LR-ELR cartridge with very low recoil and Lapua brass will be available soon!

Yeah im pretty excited for lapua brass!! Yeah i think the less recoil isnt so much the actually recoil but able to stay on target see spots and adjust ect.

60gr of RL26 is hot!

No bolt lift at 60gr. I did notice the last time i shot some slight ejector marks on the brass, that’s why I was saying I need to back it down some. It shoots like a laser tho!

Rl26 might vary lot to lot if I’m getting 3382 at 59.5 and your getting 3300 at 60gr and both of us have 26” bbls.

Reactions: Stevo86
    Standard 25-06 will probably run around 3150 with the BJ.

Rl 26 is suppose to be better lot to lot but hard to say. When i was using it seemed pretty good unless it was 85 and hotter then got spikes of pressure

Got my 6.5 prc brass in necked them down and loaded a few dummys to see about powder imr 8133 at 60 grains is very full coming up the neck im still going to try it but i have some imr 7977 coming

Anyone heard when they will have more bullets available ? I don’t have Facebook or anything so this may have been answered already.

Their sales site is down due to PayPal booting them over 2A business. PayPal hates the gun industry. They have a presence on the fast twist 25 cal page and respond very quickly.
    Guess I’ll have to ask my wife to check them out. I Can’t stand Facebook. PayPal has been anti gun for along time. Damn commies

Anyone have some results with a 25 PRC? I ordered a 25 cal Rock barrel a little over a month ago and was going to go 25 SST but it seems like the 25 PRC makes more sense. All I have to do is neck down 6.5 PRC brass and I'm good to go. I'm guessing I'll also be able to find a bunch of free hornady brass at the range if I'm in a pinch. If H2O is the same I'm guessing performance should be very similar. I don't see a reason to go SST in the long run. If ADG stops making shermans brass I'll have to trim saum brass and go through that whole process.

Any of you guys think about doing a 25 WSSM?

I bought a whole bunch of Winchester brass a couple years ago. Was going to do the 6.5 FatCat (wildcat), but scrapped the idea, as I just prefer to load and shoot.

With the BJ 131's I'm guessing I could get just over 3K with 4831SC?

I have a 7 SAUM that has a dying barrel, so probably a good time to make the switch. I already tried cycling some dummy rounds from a WSM magazine, and it fed/ejected pretty well.

Anyone have some results with a 25 PRC? I ordered a 25 cal Rock barrel a little over a month ago and was going to go 25 SST but it seems like the 25 PRC makes more sense. All I have to do is neck down 6.5 PRC brass and I'm good to go. I'm guessing I'll also be able to find a bunch of free hornady brass at the range if I'm in a pinch. If H2O is the same I'm guessing performance should be very similar. I don't see a reason to go SST in the long run. If ADG stops making shermans brass I'll have to trim saum brass and go through that whole process.
    Im doing a 25 prc. I have everything just waiting on my pva prefit barrel. I went prc because its cheaper and my powder that i have is better for it. But there is adg brass gunwerks and lapua brass soon to come so brass isnt the issue for me.

25 prc will have the best barrel life. The saum will be next, wby last. The wby does have the long neck/dbl radius shoulder. I have heard they'll last 1k rounds, but no experience. I do have: 25 creed, 25 sst, 25 saum and a 25 blaser reamer/barrel ordered. The 7 blaser necked down is essentially a beltless wby case at 2.35". I have saw no press on the pva 120, only the 117 Cayuga and I have some. Pva over estimates their BC. I run the 122 6.5mm and they claim 300g7 and it's more like 280.

interested in renting your 25 saum reamer?

Looking for peoples experience and barrel life. Even some loads. Looking into a 25 cal and cant decide on these 3 going back and fourth. Pva new 120 grain looks amazing .365 g7 and could push it fast
    Ide go with a 6.5 saum . Can you tell me if any one can sell a gun on this site im new and have a 7 mag ide like to sell

Any of you guys think about doing a 25 WSSM?

I bought a whole bunch of Winchester brass a couple years ago. Was going to do the 6.5 FatCat (wildcat), but scrapped the idea, as I just prefer to load and shoot.

Waiting for barrel and more.. One requirement for my rifle's cartridge is good barrel life, as in maybe 2000 rounds.. We'll see late this year.

2021May08_1050186_115VLD-T in case_1500w.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alpine 338