• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25 years in LE

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
I made my 25th year in law enforcement a couple weeks ago. I can officially tell them to go piss up a rope whenever I feel like it. I hope to do 3 more years and slide out the back door.

Unless of course I get a better offer...

Congratulations on 25, and be safe for three more, get that check, and laugh all the way to the beach.

Maggot out.

Last edited:
Usually it seems like the rookies are out trying to make a name for themselves, most the older officers I meet are pretty cool. Congrats on the 25 years!

Thanks for your service. Unfortunately alot of people don't have a clue what you deal with EVERY DAY. There is good and bad everywhere and sometimes some of those "dicks", whom just happen to be human too, have a moment or a bad day like anyone else yet are judged for "that" moment. Whatever. Get up, go to work, come home in one piece. 10yrs Naval Service and 17yrs at this point in Corrections. Thank you from within. Your dedication is appreciated !

Congrats on the milestone! I now work as a civilian for a law enforcement agency, I tell the sworn guys I could not do what you do on a daily basis...you have to deal with far too many assholes.

When you do decide to retire, you will have earned it several times over. Again, congratulations, and thank you.

I did my 20 and did just that, packed up. I left on good terms with a good pension, health insurance and they gave me my service revolver. That would be 20 years ago come March. Never regretted it one bit.

Congrats John. When was the party? I must have missed the invitation (haha). See ya Tuesday.

LE guys dont hear this very often but from one (former) to another... Thank You for serving and protecting. Who else would protect the flock from the wolves?

I hope that the remainder of your time in is safe and uneventful and that you live as long as wish afterwards in order to collect every cent of that pension.

I made my 25th year in law enforcement a couple weeks ago. I can officially tell them to go piss up a rope whenever I feel like it. I hope to do 3 more years and slide out the back door.
Unless of course I get a better offer...

Welcome to the KMA club.
Get out as soon as you can.

Congratulations. I've got 15 in, and a ways to go! We can't get our full pension without penalty until 30 years. At that point I can go with 65% of the top 3 years of pay for a pension. Enjoy your retirement when you choose to take it!

congrats!! get that money and run!!

i have three uncles, 2 are retired police and one retired sheriff deputy. i could never do what they did or you do. hats off to you, sir.

Thanks for the props guys

Congratulations. I've got 15 in, and a ways to go! We can't get our full pension without penalty until 30 years. At that point I can go with 65% of the top 3 years of pay for a pension. Enjoy your retirement when you choose to take it!

Dang 65% after 30!? That seems like a bit of a raw deal. Make sure you have other retirement vehicles in place outside of your pension. If you don't get them started RIGHT NOW!

I've had deferred compensation set up since I started. Hopefully the market doesn't tank when I'm ready to go

Congratulations, I'm in my 19th year in the job, but if just have 15 in the pension system. I also have a 9 yr old boy. I was on the phone, the other day with another investigator, who assured me once you have 20 in the pension the rest is gravy. I hope he's right. I would be nice to be one bad day away.

You have just joined the KMA Club (kiss my ass) brother ! I pulled the plug in 2010, the timing was right... you'll know when too.

Congratulations, there are fewer and fewer of us actually making it to full retirement these days.

P

Thanks for the props guys

Dang 65% after 30!? That seems like a bit of a raw deal. Make sure you have other retirement vehicles in place outside of your pension. If you don't get them started RIGHT NOW!

You think that's bad? In WA, I did a bit over 30, I get 60% with no medical, AND since I was only 52 I couldn't collect until I turned 53 without a huge penalty, it was about 8% if I remember right. And that's forever, you don't bump up to full pension when you turn 53. No disability retirements either, if you get hurt, you get your 2% per year IF you are vested, 5 years. And we contribute about 20-25% or so, if not 30% of that, depending on what the legislature determines based on market returns. My brother in FL is complaining because he has to kick in about 7%, boo-hoo. On the plus side, WA's is a state retirement system so very little chance of reductions in benefits compared to what is happening everywhere else where individual cities/counties run their own pension systems and they are now broke. The system is pretty much self funded, and a few years back the state tried to raid our funds which have a surplus as they were broke everywhere else, with the promise they would "pay it back." Yea, like they did with SS? We won that battle.

To the OP, congrats. Stay safe brother.

As many here have already stated, do deferred comp, do SOMETHING. I hear many of the younger troops say they can't afford it, I tell them you can't afford not to! Even just 100 bucks a month if you start right away will leave a nice chunk of dough 25-30 years later.

Last edited:
SNIPERCJ - CONGRATS Brother. Dinner is on me if you ever come through SOUTH GA.

Guys... I have some info that may be worth it. I will try to be quick with it.

I was ex Metro City PD. Transferred over to a University Police Department. I have about 12 years total (CID/IA/Training Division) but the deal is, the University paid for ALL of my education. Undergrad in Accounting and Finance.... Double Masters - Public Administration (Human Resources) & MBA. Currently I am finishing my PhD in Education. The deal with GA Universities is that you retire at your 2 HIGHEST years of pay and you can keep your medical.

The pay may NOT be as high as some other agencies...but.. for those retireing young it gives them the opportunity to finish an education and teach at the college level or become University administrators where the money is UNREAL.

That is my goal. I am slated for graduation next Christmas. I am going to look for Vice President positions at Universities and in time work my self into a College President position.

Besides... someone has to try and change what is being taught in school. It is sickening to see the teaching agendas.....

Just thought this may give some an idea... It is also a great way to keep up your hours...and add to your retirement.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Good info you shared Matt. We hired 3 officers from UofG who went for that deal. A large chunk of their education was paid for, and they got a 6% incentive for the degree from our PD. When I did the backgrounds, I was surprised to be talking to Captains that were in their 20's.
It tends to work out better for ex-military, as they tend to be older and can get hired on quicker on a kid straight out of high school who would have to wait until 21.

Whenever I see advice about wanting to get into LE/FF, I always advise to look into the total package. Incentives, years of service required, age requirements, medical insurance at retirement, percentage of pay calculated, how much you contribute towards that, who pays the pension i.e. City/County/State as it makes a big difference for stability. As an example, here in the NW pay tends to be high compared to most of the nation, but only 2% per year with highest 5 consecutive used for calculation, no medical, age 53. So on it's face it may sound good money wise, but then you have to deduct any medical insurance and work until 53. Some states have 20 or 25 years and out. I had to work 30 for my 60%, and still had to wait until I turned 53. I have 2 brothers also LEO in different states, and pensions differ greatly. If you really look, there are agencies that opted out of SS back when you could. They are still required to put money into some type of retirement fund (401, Roth, etc), but they will get a much higher return that what they would have received from SS.

All that being said, I have no complaints. Many out there don't have anything but SS to look forward to, and have to work to 62-65 to get it.

Last edited:
My grand plan is to browbeat my buddy Larry into retiring. He is currently in the Training Coordinator slot. I slide into that slot, do 3 more and pull the plug. After that we run our business and help my father in law run his business. Maybe do some firearms training. And lots of camping and fishing...

You could always come to our department, retire in place and do another 25 years without achieving anything and without anyone ever knowing that you haven't left yet. ?

And lots of camping and fishing...

There you go, that's what its all about. Throw in a bit of hunting and shooting.................makes the 20 years I put in dealing with the worse of society worth while.

Our Dept has a fairly new Officer in the Neighborhood program that utilizes retired part time officers. The last 5 or 6 guys that have retired have followed this plan: retire, have your retirement party, wait the required 6 months, come back and pick up all your same gear you turned in, work as a neighborhood officer.

Good gig I suppose because the hourly pay is on par with what they were making before, just less hours. But man, that's the LAST thing I want to do. Closest I want to get to LE work is firearms training and I don't want to make THAT my primary retirement gig.

My wife works for Pioneer Natural Resources, an oil company that is usually in the top 2 or 3 Best Place to Work every year. Im gonna go work in their mail room!

Eh, we'll see what happens.

Unfortunately here in the Great State of Washington Corrections Officers are still being treated as scum of the Trade. PERS vice LEOFF, what a joke. We live with these people day in and day out when they are at their worst, way before they go to Prison when they're all cleaned up from dope or alcohol DT's. We're in the shit EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY with these people, not just now and then. No respect, no retirement, no shit. I know, wha wha wha. Retirement here comes in the form of disability or mental breakdown unfortunately. Really, as we become older and older and our clientele's age stays the same, how the hell you expect to do this till you're 63? 64? 65? 50-60 yr olds fighting 18-19-20 yr old Meth Heads. Never good. If you're considering it, don't. If you're hell bent on it, hold on for the ride and keep smiling. Enjoy the Beach Boyz !

Its a sad thing when you start figuring out just how long it is until you can hang it up

GRIN

Min is 3 years 3 months
Max is 6 years 3 months

Kansas KPERS retirement SUCKS

But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is getting a bit bigger every day.

Congratulations! I think you will find that now that the MANDATORY time is complete...the remainder is a lot easier. At least that was how it worked for me.

MT State Patrol is 2.5% for each good year completed. So a 30 yr Trooper gets 75% of his highest average 2 or 3 years (forget which). And we also have a GABA clause where we get an extra 3% every other year. We REALLY had to fight to get it, even though we funded it with a higher withdrawal from our pay. The 3% is a real life saver. Doesn't keep up with inflation/dollar devaluation, etc. But at least it's something positive.

As previously mentioned a second funding source is a good idea. I did investments from the start and draw a little from that, started drawing a few yrs back. REALLY helped.

A retired MT Trooper gets ZERO free benefits from the State. If you opt for the State Blue Cross plan you basically couldn't live on what you have left over. SAD deal.

WHY I also did 25 in the Army Guard...Gave me and the wife Medical, Prescription , etc once I hit 60 yoa.

Again...Congratulations and work safe.

Last edited:
Congratulations! When you think about all the Officers you knew who left after a few years, you realize what an accomplishment it truly is.
My experience was the opposite of FN's. I found the years after reaching 25 more difficult due to knowing that I could leave at any time. But then again, micro management was rampant in my agency by that time.
Make sure that you consider everything before you separate from your agency, especially health insurance as costs are sky rocketing.

Good for you bro. Im at 14 figured Id do 25 to save up for college. The why things are going in NY Im not so sure Ill be able to hold out.

Congratulations CJ! I'm at 23 years, 4 months. Sitting at the house waiting on my 4th back surgery. Hope I make it!

I have 7+ years here in Kansas City dealing with the finest that society has to offer. Dad had 38 years in law enforcement and just retired in 2012. Congrats on being close to the finish line! It feels like yesterday I was on break in training.

I pulled the pin this past January after 26.5 years as a Police Officer here in NY. It was time and I don't miss it one bit. Congrats to you and all the other brothers and sisters who have made it!

s6