• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

250 Savage

joshudavid

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Portland, OR
So I still have a long way to go with my .22 before I step up to a center fire, but I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I have an old Savage Model 99 Lever Action. Does anyone on here use this rifle or at least the 250 Savage round?

When I'm ready to move up, I want something that's effective past 500 yds. Any input?

Re: 250 Savage

Those old Savage 99's, particulary in that caliber, weren't much to speak of as far as rifles went, and I will be happy to give you a hundred bucks or so for it if this will help you move up in rifles. Maybe even two hundred if it's in good shape.
smile.gif

Thanks for the offer, but it's been passed down through the generations from my great grandfather. It's put down countless bucks... so it's got sentimental value and makes great hunting rifle.

Well this is good news... Now I can convince my wife I need another gun!

You need to keep that rifle.
Its worth a bit of money.
not to mention the nostalgia
but if you have to seel it, ill give you a bucktwoeighty for it.

SDWhirlwind,

I know what you mean. I could've bought a dozen or so for less than a $100 bucks when I was a kid. They sat on the end of the gunracks with no one even thinking of buying one. Until a few years ago they became "The Collectable" of the month or year or week or whatever "Non-Shooters" do with their irons.

Josh_Danger,

What you have is a pretty hot little round there. How heavy of bullet you can use depends on the twist of the rifle. Those rifles came in three twists, that I know of: 1-10", 1-12", and 1-14".

You can do the twist test by inserting a patch in the barrel (rear of the barrel if it's a takedown). Get a good ballbearing rod like a Dewey. Insert patch then measuer distance from either a marked point or the rod to the barrel. Mark top center(tc) on the rod. Push the rod with the patch through noting that the tc mark is rotating smoothly. When it comes full turn to top center again, measure how far it went (10", 12" or 14"). There's your twist.

When the round first came out the magic of it was it went 3000 fps. Which for 1912-1915 was really, really good. Then people wanted the 100 gr. and...to stabilize the old RN 117 gr. rounds fired from the Rem 25. The 1-12" did that. When the public wanted 117-120 gr. Spitzer bullets like the .257 Roberts (and the military) had they needed to go to a 1-10" twist. Thus the three twists of this rifle. Remington model 8's, 14's, 81's and 141's in .25 Rem were in 1-12" twist shooting 117 gr. RN's.

Mine is a 1915/1916 version takedown that I load with 75, 85 and 90 gr. bullets. It has a 1-14" twist.

My main powder I use is 4895 (or derivative, i.e. AA2495):
38.5 gr. of 4895 behind a 75 gr. bullet @3225 fps.
37 gr. behind a 85-87 gr. bullet for a velocity of 3000fps.
I also use VV140. I didn't chrono it but the trajectories were better.

Another note here regarding this round. It was considered "most favorable" of the rounds and configurations of rounds tested in both the '20's and the late '50's (from post WWII). The powers that be didn't like it either time and the round was rejected both times. Anyhow, I think a lot of mine...and now It's not for sale with the rest of my stuff....

There we go! There's the advice I was looking for.

I'm just getting ready to start reloading so that info is much appreciated! I've been wondering how to determine twist.

I haven't let myself get into much detail with it so far because I'm really trying to learn the basics with my .22, but I usually shoot a box of 250 when I go out... And I have to say I love everything about this rifle.

Seriously Josh, the last older 99, with the cartridge counter on the magazine, in .250 Savage and in about 90% condition, had an $850 price tag on it, and I considered it for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously Josh, the last older 99, with the cartridge counter on the magazine, in .250 Savage and in about 90% condition, had an $850 price tag on it, and I considered it for a while.</div></div>

Unfortunately for the sellers the prices on these have gone down a bit. For the buyers that's a good thing. I considered a pristine one for $1500 for a while. Then I thought what the #e)) am I thinking?? I want a shooter, so I held off and found the one I have for $600. It's about a 2 MOA rifle. The 300's are still below 500. I did have a shot at a 22 hi-power for $795.00

Oh ya everyone who picks up my rifle loves the cartridge counter on the side! (I've never actually used it since I can count, but it's cool that it's there)

There were many, many models of the Savage 99 in 250-3000. Values vary a GREAT deal depending on model and condition. Before you sell or buy any 99, you must have the 99 Book by Doug Murray
http://www.gunbooksales.com/rifles.htm

The first 250, a takedown and the ONLY 99 ever made with a checked trigger, in mint condition is worth a TON of $, a beat up EG model is a $300 rifle. So don't buy or sell until you do the research.

Here's a couple of pics: an exceptional EG made for an company employee with 3X wood, the rare Stith no drill mount and an All Weather Lyman Alaskan.
A speed goat (an eater not a trophy) I took with my 99R in 300 Savage last fall. Wonderful rifles that will do 1 MOA with proper loads!
DSCN1824.jpg

antellope22008.jpg