• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing $250 Seem Fair?

new_guy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
USA
It did after I scrubbed 37 years of WD-40 off of it. By the looks of the bolt-face, it wasn't shot too much.

rem_700.jpg

rem_7002.jpg

Re: $250 Seem Fair?

$250. For that....Why that's more than was paid for the compete rifle new in 1968 or so......
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$250. For that....Why that's more than was paid for the compete rifle new in 1968 or so......
grin.gif
</div></div>

It was made in 73, but I know what you mean. Would you believe that I had to buy the whole rifle just to get the action?
wink.gif

Bargain of the day

Reminds me of the time I bought a Rem 700 22-250 made in 69. It had a cracked/broken stock from a fall. The dealer knew I was looking for an action for a build. I bought it for $299. Well the funny part of the story was while I was filling out the paperwork another customer thought he would help me by pointing out the obvious crack. Told me in a quite voice dealer was ripping me off selling this broken gun. I proceeded I was just buying the action and it was ok I knew about the stock coming in. He then replied that I could get a new Remington 770 at walmart for the same price and it came with a scope. I thanked him and said I'd stick with this one. Well we both wind up walking out of the store about the same time. I could not resist, since the stock was broken through the wrist and barely hanging on. I grabbed the gun by the barrel and swung it hitting the toe of the stock on the pavement. The stock broke at the wrist I picked it up and threw the buttstock in the trash barrel. He started to say something then just shook his head. But as I was getting in the truck I noticed he went and pulled it out and was looking at it trying to figure out how to use it for something.

73, serial number looks a little lower, W barrel code, hell of a bargain anyways, good find.

yeah total waste of 250. I feel bad
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang things like this never happen to me.... What is the caliber? </div></div>

It started as a 243 ADL.

I felt a little bad about the price (for about 1/2 a second,) but it was what the owner was asking for it, and I paid him is price.

Here's the updated version.

I stripped it all down and ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner, oiled everything up nicely, reassembled the trigger, then I started polishing and truing up the outside.

It was about what I was expecting - uneven with typical low spots from buffing wheel.

The rear bridge is not finished. I just hit it with a stone so you could see the low spots. I'll come back to that later and straighten it out too.

Here's the rear bridge and polished tang.

700_rear_bridge.jpg

The bottom.
bottom_view.jpg

another_view.jpg

Also ordered the barrel and bottom metal yesterday too.

Wow, great find! My best gun show deal was coming across a damn near brand new Rem 11-87 Premier vent rib 12 Ga for $325.

If you want to look for wear, you should look at the back surface of the lugs (the ones facing the bolt handle).
At first sight though, it looks like that receiver haven't seen much action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: new_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It started as a 243 ADL.

</div></div>

And ended up as a XXX.... Please fill in the blanks thank you...

Regardless great find and deal....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: new_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It started as a 243 ADL.

</div></div>

And ended up as a XXX.... Please fill in the blanks thank you...

Regardless great find and deal.... </div></div>

22-250, set up for p-dogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take two! Great find, and your polishing skills are impressive. </div></div>

Thanks! It just takes time and practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take two! Great find, and your polishing skills are impressive. </div></div>
Better picture taker than most of us here too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take two! Great find, and your polishing skills are impressive. </div></div>
Better picture taker than most of us here too. </div></div>

Thanks. The polishing is actually much easier than getting a half-decent photo.

Yep my wife calls it going broke saving money. I get a great deal on a gun to use for the action. I figure one day I will sell the take-offs and spare stocks. Well the I send the gun off to George and I go gee I really saved myself a lot of money but somehow my bank account always has less money in it after I buy a bargain like this.

I have a few 222 rems laying around since the sixtys I wish I could get someone to take the barrels off for me I cant do it with the action wrench too much rust need a smithy so can cut the treads from inside anybody got a slick way of dealing with hard to remove barrels?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few 222 rems laying around since the sixtys I wish I could get someone to take the barrels off for me I cant do it with the action wrench too much rust need a smithy so can cut the treads from inside anybody got a slick way of dealing with hard to remove barrels? </div></div>

If you don't want to keep the barrels, then cut a relief around the circumfrence of the barel where it meets the recoil lug. You can do that with a lathe, or in a more "bubba" fashion with hack-saw, or dremel tool (with one of the little cut-off wheels.) That will take the tension away.

As for the dried thread lock and rust, you might soak it for a couple of days in kroil or diesel. That should enable you to get the barrel off with your action wrench and barrel vise.