• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $2500 - Which scope for .308 GAP Crusader?

tpe187

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello all,

I've lurked for a while and finally decided to get into the game. I just got a used GAP crusader in .308 and I'm looking to get some quality glass for it. I'm just looking to have a good quality precision rifle setup. A range with anything over 600yds is a long drive for me, so that will be the limit for now. I'll probably get some classes so that I become proficient with the rig and mid range shooting. Only precision rifle I've had in the past was a 700P with a Leupold M3. I've had no formal precision rifle training and I'm just a hobbiest. I do have some experience with distance and competition as service rifle shooting in high power. Hopefully that is enough background to make a recommendation.

I've got $2500 allocated for a scope. After reading the FAQ's I know that the three choices for high end are S&B PMII 3-12x50 with P4 reticle, Premier Heritage 3-15x50 and US optics SN3 with EREK and illuminated GAP reticle, all mil/mil. The premier and USO are about the same price range. The S&B is about $600 more using SWFA as a source. After reading the 17page thread on the Premier and several comments about the S&B and its relative quality I'm leaning toward the Premier. Nothing wrong with the USO, just not liking the 3month wait and I don't need a lot of options. Not sure the PMII is worth the extra coin when the comparison is this close and I'd like to support an American manufacturer. All that said, am I missing something or not considering something? Any suggestions from the experienced crowd here? Thanks for any and all advice.

Tom

Re: $2500 - Which scope for .308 GAP Crusader?

there is a used s&B 4-16 right now for 2600 with your name on it in the for sale section

Schmidt all the way, just be sure which 4-16 you are getting as some have VERY limited elevation.

Don't forget the Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 FFP. It's about $2290 street price and comes with a set of rings and sunshade. You can get it mil/mil also and it has a zero stop. I have 2 of them and love them. Track perfectly and nice and clear.

I guess I should caveat this request by saying I'm about two weeks out from the purchase so current auctions will have to wait.

I get the feeling that most who have S&B's will endorse them and I know that they are a known product. I've used the Short dot on a carbine before and Larry Vickers speaks highly of them in general. Is there a reason to go with the 4-16 over the 3-12? Thanks

I'm headed over to GA Precision in the morning. I'll check out what the guys in the shop think and see if the have any examples I can take a look at. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a used s&B 4-16 right now for 2600 with your name on it in the for sale section </div></div>

+1 for the S&B 4-160x50 PMII with Gen II XL reticule and CCW mil/mil knobs. This is the scope that sits on top of my Crusader and I love it. If there is one for sale for $2600 I'd give give it some very serious thought.

my vote is for the Premier Heritage 3-15x50 or the 5-25x56 (same price, just have to wait longer for the 5-25x56) with the GEN 2 XR reticle.

I would agree with Rob in this case. The nightforce is a good choice. It is available mil/mil, has a zero stop, good glass for the money and is a durable proven optic. Can you spend more and get better, yes. But if you are just getting started, you may not be sure exactly what type of shooting you will be doing: mostly F class, short range tactical paper target matches, long range steel, etc. The NF will do all these things well enough, and will allow you to shoot as you decide what YOU like in an optic. If it turns out you love it- keep it. You wont loose because of that scope. If you find small things you wish you could change, then look to buying a scope which has more of what you want based on how YOU shoot. That will allow you to spend money only on what you need. I have shot will all of the brands listed and they all have their strong points. That is why the debate on which is better isnt over.

Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TPE187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,

I've lurked for a while and finally decided to get into the game. I just got a used GAP crusader in .308 and I'm looking to get some quality glass for it. I'm just looking to have a good quality precision rifle setup. A range with anything over 600yds is a long drive for me, so that will be the limit for now. I'll probably get some classes so that I become proficient with the rig and mid range shooting. Only precision rifle I've had in the past was a 700P with a Leupold M3. I've had no formal precision rifle training and I'm just a hobbiest. I do have some experience with distance and competition as service rifle shooting in high power. Hopefully that is enough background to make a recommendation.

I've got $2500 allocated for a scope. After reading the FAQ's I know that the three choices for high end are S&B PMII 3-12x50 with P4 reticle, Premier Heritage 3-15x50 and US optics SN3 with EREK and illuminated GAP reticle, all mil/mil. The premier and USO are about the same price range. The S&B is about $600 more using SWFA as a source. After reading the 17page thread on the Premier and several comments about the S&B and its relative quality I'm leaning toward the Premier. Nothing wrong with the USO, just not liking the 3month wait and I don't need a lot of options. Not sure the PMII is worth the extra coin when the comparison is this close and I'd like to support an American manufacturer. All that said, am I missing something or not considering something? Any suggestions from the experienced crowd here? Thanks for any and all advice.

Tom </div></div>

Just curios why you will not consider a 5x25 power range, even at 600 yards you will appreciate 25 power.

Call Scott at liberty optics and he can hook you up with a Premier scope. I have had all of them and this one is THE scope to have in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TPE187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm headed over to GA Precision in the morning. I'll check out what the guys in the shop think and see if the have any examples I can take a look at. Thanks </div></div>

Todd has my USO on his rifle right now, take a gander and see how you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a used s&B 4-16 right now for 2600 with your name on it in the for sale section </div></div>

+1 for the S&B 4-160x50 PMII with Gen II XL reticule and CCW mil/mil knobs. This is the scope that sits on top of my Crusader and I love it. If there is one for sale for $2600 I'd give give it some very serious thought. </div></div>
I agree as well. If I were you I would jump on the S&B or go with a new Premier Heritage. You can't go wrong with either. I like the NF, but was turned off a little on the multi-turn knob (x5) and the price point is to close to the Heritage. Good luck.

Well, I think I'm going to go for the S&B. There are two currently in the for sale section. The first is this one: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1153162#Post1153162

The second is this one: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=941333#Post941333

I can get both with rings, which I don't yet have, for about the same price. I'm leaning toward the 3-12x50 but I could use some advice from you guys. Thanks

I picked up the premier myself, but given the choice of ether of those S&B's I'd get the 4-16. I think they look better.

I would go with the 4-16 as well. That scope is the same one I have, but I have the GEN II XR retical versus the XL. The XL is fine though. This is a really great scope. I love the low profile of the 42 mm objective and the single turn knob is great. I will never part with this scope. I even thought about picking this one up for a spare when I do another rifle build. But I probably will try the Heritage then. That's what I at least told Jerry.

Do your self a favor though, don't spring for the extra rings with the scope and just go get the Seekins scope rings. You will be glad you did. Get them from Scott at Liberty Optics (they are in stock now) or directly from Glen at Seekins. These are a must have if you need rings.

Good luck, you are in for a treat. Nice to know you have one of the best scopes available. Enjoy for life.

Sorry I forgot to say, but I like the extra power the 16x has over the 12x. It's nice to have that little extra at times. Also the XL GEN II is a little more desirable if illumination is important to you.

Also you can specify what height rings you will need if you order the Seekins or any other brand as well.

NO CONTEST!!! BUY THE 3-12 and buy it NOW!!! I have both and they are both great---the 3-12 has just a bit better glass.

If you can do either, I'd go with the 3-12.

TPE-
If you want a USO and don't want to wait, there are a few dealers that have them in stock. What area are you in?
John III

Teepee, it sounds like you cannot make a decision for yourself and want to please everyone.

Just make a decision and move forward.

All,

Thanks for the many suggestions. I decided to go with the S&B 3-12x50 that I linked to above. I'll be sure to get some pics up when I get it all together. Thanks

Tom

NOT ALL- JUST YOU TEEPEE

LOL. YOU'LL use that USMC SNIPER scope cap too won't you?

I used 60 minutes of calls and research. Please. Use your free license plate for the stupid....

Premier 5-25x56 is coming out soon...

Now the only US optics scope I have used, have been the
ST10 /10x/17x. I have used the S&B but for the money, I would spend mine on a US Optics I think its crazy that the military did not go/w US optics. I have never used a scope, that tracks like a US optics, plus you get to pick your goodies for it, build it the way you want, and the EREK is awsome just my .02

I think Midway carries US Optics. I have own a S&B great scope. I just recieve a US and have another on order. They are great scopes to. The S&B 12.5x50x56 runs about 2800 in a P4fine reticle at SWFA. I don't know about the Premier scopes. They say they are just as good.

Hard to choose between the CS for USO and Premeir. Have to say they are both great, you'll have to pick the one that can give you the scope you want. Sorry, but I've been very happy with both of these guys.