• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 250gr Scenars on game WARNING GRAPHIC!!!!

rum

Minuteman
Nov 3, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
I got mixed reviews when searching the web about the performance of a 250 scenar on game so I decided to do my own research. Here are the results.
This is an addax taken from 332yds. They are a little bigger than a mule deer.
DSC01784.jpg

This is a hog that was taken at about 100yds
DSC01818.jpg

This is a red deer that was taken at 300 and some change
DSC01837.jpg

I also took a zebra with a 100yd head on shot. The bullet did not exit but did extensive damage inside. The heart was in two seperate pieces and everthing from the diaphram forward had to be scooped out. All in all, I was pretty pleased with the results.

Re: 250gr Scenars on game WARNING GRAPHIC!!!!

Well done! What velocity are you driving those at?

I shot some antelope with my .338LM last fall using the 250 scenars and had the same results...I'd use that bullet again without reservation..

They're at 2970fps. I was a bit concerned because of some of the reports I'd read so I made sure to have a back up rifle but, turns out, it wasn't needed. Spring bear season is coming in a few days so, hopefully, we'll get to see how they do on bear.

I'm getting 3100fps with mine out of a 28" barrel....my bet is you could take down Godzilla with it....grin!!

Good luck on the black bears. Our season opens on April 15th. I'm probably going to use one of my .308's...my Lapua is too heavy to pack around the mountains.

ive heard good things about the scenars, i dont think there is such thing as a bad 250 gr bullet at 3000 fps.

good shooting

very impressive. I cant wait to shoot the barrel out of my 300 RUM to go .338 Edge. I have to waste the barrel before mama will let me justify spending the money for a new barrel on a perfectly fine gun.

Nice pics Jason! I want to see the Zebra! Now if the weather would let up we could kill some bears? How did grampa like the brake?

Jason

Here's the zebra
DSC01744.jpg

a fallow
DSC01725.jpg

Marys pig
DSC01716.jpg

My addax
DSC01789.jpg

Marys oryx
DSC01811.jpg

Lex's Ibex
DSC01760.jpg

Lexs fallow
DSC01778.jpg

My red deer
DSC01832.jpg

The weather looks like its going to let up midweek. We ran over yesterday and looked around a bit and found some OK spots for glassing and long range shooting around Lorane. I'm going to probibly check out a spot by veneta on tuesday or wednesday. If you're free, let me know.

Oh, and the brake worked great. That thing don't stomp a hole in your shoulder anymore. lol It also groups better, as well. Just gotta do a little more fine tuning with the load and he'll be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cant wait to see what they do on bears
smile.gif
</div></div>
Well, between the two of us, we'd only need about 250rnds per bear so I'll get to loading. lol

Some awesome pics there, rum!!!

Slightly off topic, but just wondering if you've ever used the 250gn Barnes TSX before?? I went on a camel hunt on the weekend, and used them out of my .338LM, and I was very unhappy with the results to say the least...

Looking at the damage that the Scenars did in your pics, I think I might need to start using some of those!

Cheers, Cameron

I haven't tried the tsx. A few years ago, I used the old style barnes X in a 165gr out of a 300rum and it worked pretty well. It didn't come apart but left a decent wound channel through whatever I shot. When they discontinued the old X bullet, I looked around and ended up shooting the accubonds out of the ultra mag from that point on. I've only had the lapua a little less than a year so I haven't had the opportunity to try different bullets on game yet but, so far, I'm very happy with the scenars.
On a side note, I'm very interested to hear about the camel hunt.

Right on. Got er up and running then???? We didn't see any bear today but I shot a coyote at about 100yds. He didn't go down right away. Ended up running straight downhill about 20yds and then going out of sight. I didn't feel like walking down there for a yote. lol I was kinda surprised he didn't go down but the bullet must have just punched a hole in him, I'm guessing.

I am not an expert or hunter but all animals here looks dead to me.

RUM,

Took a shot at a big bull camel (about 650kg/1400lbs I'm guessing... it was damn heavy anyways) at about 350 meters. Was using a 250gn Barnes TSX with 92gns of AR2225 (aussie version of Retumbo) loaded to magazine length in my Rem 700P MLR in new Lapua brass, Fed 215GMM primer.
Hit the camel on the shoulder and destroyed the joint, HOWEVER, the projectile didn't penetrate through to the vitals, and finished it with a headshot.
When we cut the camel open to find the wound channel, the TSX hadn't penetrated more than about 7". Found plenty of bone fragments etc. but only recovered 2 petals that had sheered off the projectile, the rest had disappeared.
Given the price and reputation of these projectiles, I was really expecting with a shoulder shot that it should have penetrated through the shoulder and into the vitals, possibly lodging in the far-side shoulder. Not the case this time.
I also used some Nosler 225gn Accubonds with fairly good results. Didn't get a shoulder shot on any with these though, but found that they penetrated through the rib cage and exited on the far side. And the camel's ribs are rather thick (about 2" or so, IIRC)
But, given how poorly the TSX performed, I highly doubt I'll ever buy them again, or recommend them to any friends.

Cheers, Cameron