• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

257 Weatherby to ???

338RUM runner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
S.E. Idaho
Hi, I have a .257 Weatherby 26" SS barrel that i removed to make the Lady a 300 RUM. I have been thinking of rechambering it to something else like a necked down .264 Win Mag (cheaper brass) <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> </span> <span style="font-family: 'Arial'"> </span> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> </span> . I can cut some off the back end if needed. Is there anything out there that is close to what i'm thinking of, would like to do what maybe someone else has tried. Any help would be nice. Thanks

Re: 257 Weatherby to ???

Sure. Keep the 257'BEE and form virgin 7mmRemMag cases,so you headspace a false shoulder out of the gate. Accuracy and caselife will improve from inception,plus you reap cost savings and logistic improvements.

Rebarreled both of my 264Win's to 257'BEE and used those hulls as well,but much prefer the 7mm route.

The slightly shorter necks,don't make a fuck and have zero bearing upon load data or pressure curves.

Hint.

Something good to think about,as i have a 7 mag so i'll have brass for both. Any more ideas out there.

Though noone loves 25's more than I,their bane is bullet selection(BC namely).

L-R: .257" 80TTSX,100TSX,100XLC,.243" 105A-Max and.284" 162A-Max. The 100XLC at 3750fps in R/P hulls and '22,is my favorite 'BEE Killing Load.

DAD_1335.jpg

That being said,it's easy to slap that load around in both 6mm and 7mm. I'd not build another 'BEE Today,due simply to the ballistic advantages associated other diameters,due to vastly superior projectiles.

Though as Nostalgia goes,some of my Bloodiest Memories were 'BEE fueled.

As far as a .532" L/A Utility Rifle goes,the 7mmRemMag fed 162's is THE Grail. Copious COAL latitude(700),OEM spouts are even throated nicely and weighing performance to recoil,it's offa the fucking charts.

It's a sinister blend of drop,drift and Oooooomph arriving the scene,in exchange for modest recoil values.

I just hate to see that barrel sitten around waiting to bee a jack handle. It's like you find a box of range brass and ya get the itch to build a rifle for them.

Do as I say,not as I do.(grin) I built (3) Custom 'BEE's,so I can't outright condemn the notion.

I'd rather have a 23" 243AI squirtin' 105's.

Just sayin'.

20110328-DAD_2510.jpg

Though in fairness...I shoot 257Bob,Better Bob,25-284,25-06,25-06AI and 257'BEE.

Hint.

Your killing my mind with ideas. I have a 243 CDL that will not shoot and it's also going to get a new barrel. Have my own Lathe and Mill (retired machinist).

Think bullets first,decide how fast you wish them to go,then simply opt the chambering which best fits your needs.

I would be VERY surprised to learn of a Green 243Win spout,that didn't dazzle. They are twisted/throated nicely and will do 105's proud as issued.

I'd look at fasteners,mounting system,glass and bedding...wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before mother fucking the spout outright. Rifles are about the whole enchilada and can simply be no better than their weakest link.

The 6-284 rates a thunk too and is compared to the 243Win AI here.

DAD_1323.jpg

OEM 700 spout punched 6-284,with 75V-Max at 3675fps,from the 200yd line.

2R8G3552.jpg

That S/S Sporter spout was actually 1-10.375" as per my Dewey,which is the slowest I've ever seen or heard of,in it's configuration(40X's could be had in even slower rates). It keyholed 105's at Warp Nine and I never even thought to check the twist,because they are always 9.25" or faster.

2R8G3549-2.jpg

Pretty funny.

I have been seriously considering a 6-284 or 6.5 creed build for the last 6 months. I just can't decide.

All the above is great advice and a whirl wind of choices but if you just want the 257 bee to load cheaper stick with it and use 7 mag brass.

Good luck

I'm going to drag out the 243 CDL and start all over with the bedding and see if i can get it to shoot. Last time i tried it would shoot 2" at 100yds, got some win and rem 100gr and one was 3" high 2" left and the other was 2" right and 1" high. Didn't change a thing. Tried some hand loads and none would shoot better than 2moa. Leupold 4.5x14 AO. I put it in the case 8 years ago and havn't looked at. Just gave up trying

I have a ruger m77 270 bolt action walnut stock that was always a 1 moa shooter. One day it went to crap and shot 1.5-2 moa. I left it in a safe for 3 years and didnt shoot it again. I decided to fix it and carried it to a very known smith and long range shooter world wide to look it over but since i wasn't wanting to build a gun i guess i got very little attention. After 6 months he called me back and said the gun is ready to pick up nothing was wrong with it but it will do no better than 1.5 moa and has always been that way more than likely pretty much saying i never achieved the accuracy i claimed so i picked the gun up and paid. The following year i decided as a last ditch effort before a re barrel I would try to hand load for it and bingo regular 130 gr speer hot cores cutting ragged holes.

Moral is keep trying with the 243 it could be picky.

Price of brass?? It is a one time purchase.
Buy 100 of them and go ahead and wear that barrel out with about 7-800 rds. You will spend more driving to the range one time than the brass cost. Then, if you do not like, re barrel. 300 Win necked to .264 is amazing.
If you need 7 Rem brass, I have a few hundred once fired I will get you a deal on.
RTH