• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

257Rob AI barrel twist

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    I am building a 257 Rob AI (rebarrel from a standard 257) and am trying to decide on a twist rate. Before you respond with "why would you do that" or any comments in general that don't address the question, feel free to find the back button. This was the first rifle I was ever given and have plenty of reasons for keeping the caliber.

Anyway, I have been looking at the 131 Ace bullets which seem to require a 7-8 twist rate. I am wanting to run 110g-131g projectiles (not set on a specific one yet). This will mainly be a hunting rig but I would definitely shoot it more if I was seeing enough velocity to shoot the 131s out at distance. The lowest twist rate Ive seen for any 257 AI info has been a 9 twist.

I am mainly looking for anyone with experience with, say, the 25 Creed or similar that can compare it to a 257 AI since there isn't really a good amount of info out there on it. Am I painting myself into a corner with a 7, 7.5 or 8 twist and will be forced to use heavier projectiles or am I just overthinking this whole thing. @coldboremiracle ???

The biggest thing I want out of this build is a reliable hunting platform that will shoot 3/4' or better. Shooting out to distance is a plus but not a necessity, I have a 338 for that :cool:

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice.

SC