• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25x47 & 135g Bergers free bore.

Camoman1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2019
I’m looking to get a reamer made for the 25x47 with the 135g Bergers & lapua brass. Anyone know what free bore and neck diameter is required? I’ll be getting components in the next few months but I want to get this reamer on the go. I always make sure I seat my bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction, and from some quick calcs I don’t see the standard blackjack reamers working for the 135s.

If you’re gonna have a reamer made, mock up a round and send it to Manson. Have them make a reamer with a bit of freebore.

Than grab a throater. If the current freebore doesn’t work well, just throat it a bit.

Much easier to go shorter and throat than to find out you have too much freebore.

Blackjack had jgs reamers in stock a few months back. It has sufficient freebore for the 135. There is 0.460" between neck/shoulder junction and end of freebore, and with a 1.5° leade angle, it'll require another 30-40k ahead before you tag lands. My buddy built a rifle with reamer spec, smith chambered it to go gauge +0.002 and virgin necked down lapua brass is coming ahead .007" on first firing. Maybe all lapua brass is this short of go in X47 variant.
Screenshot_20210926-151513_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Blackjack had jgs reamers in stock a few months back. It has sufficient freebore for the 135. There is 0.460" between neck/shoulder junction and end of freebore, and with a 1.5° leade angle, it'll require another 30-40k ahead before you tag lands. My buddy built a rifle with reamer spec, smith chambered it to go gauge +0.002 and virgin necked down lapua brass is coming ahead .007" on first firing. Maybe all lapua brass is this short of go in X47 variant.
View attachment 7823004
Thank you. Still seems like it mite be close, the 135 has .450 bearing surface alone, plus 20-30 thou to clear the neck junction, plus quite a bit till where the ojive will touch. But thanks. I think I’ll get one of these reamers to start then the smith can use a throater if needed.

Cheers

View attachment 7823004
And good to note that the chamber mite be long, I’ll be sure to test the first couple and jam the bullet on first fire form, I may need to jam them all on the first firing.

And good to note that the chamber mite be long, I’ll be sure to test the first couple and jam the bullet on first fire form, I may need to jam them all on the first firing.
No you wont, you neck the brass down from 6.5 to 25, leave just enough neck unsized that there is very slight resistance closing bolt. They all form ahead perfect and weve been running 40k jump.