• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25x47 Lapua load data

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    I'm in the process of switching one of my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to 25x47 Lapua. Does anyone have current load data for this cartridge? 135 Berger LRHT bullets, and I have 6.5 StaBall, Varget, H4350, AA4350, IMR 4350, Superformance, and SW Precision powders.

I've also never used bushing dies before, and when I sized a case the neck didn't size all the way down to the shoulder. I'm using a Hornady match FL bushing die with a SAC .282 bushing. Is this normal? New Lapua 6.5x47 brass.

Reactions: Stevo86
    1660840671911-png.7936639

My current load for 25x47 is with 131gr ACEs. 39.5gr H4350. 2820 fps from a 23" barrel. GRT matches up and puts me around max pressure for the x47 case (63091 psi). As always, take it easy because the x47 case generally doesn't show typical pressure signs very readily.

My current load for 25x47 is with 131gr ACEs. 39.5gr H4350. 2820 fps from a 23" barrel. GRT matches up and puts me around max pressure for the x47 case (63091 psi). As always, take it easy because the x47 case generally doesn't show typical pressure signs very readily.
    I will start there when I get my rifle back from being rebarreled. I got a Benchmark barrel that will finish at 26".

Reactions: MarkLeupold
    Its pretty normal, on all bushings even with the bushing all the way squished tight it will still have a smidge of a donut (but not the concerning type) where the bushing has am entrance chamfer so a case neck doesnt dead end into a square edge on the bushings neck hole. You can then back it out more to get less neck tension via the less sized brass if you care to tune that aspect. Some claim it also helps center the bullet in the bore vs having it free to wobble around the empty chamber space.

Short action customs takes that a step farther with their bushings, one minute mark if it doesnt auto start

I finally got out to shoot the new barrel and caliber. I tried H4350 and 6.5 StaBall powders.

I started with 38gr and worked up to 40.7 gr with H4350. Velocity ranged from a low of 2705 to 2876 peak. I'm settling on 40gr and velocity should be around 2835fps.

With StaBall I started with 40.4 and worked up to 42.5 with no pressure signs at that charge. Velocity started at 2705 and peaked at 2858.

Accuracy was decent with both powders but I wasn't really shooting for tight groups. All velocity reading were from a Magnetospeed attached to my suppressor.

I'm going to try other powders for pure curiosity and will update when I have data.

I'm in the process of switching one of my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to 25x47 Lapua. Does anyone have current load data for this cartridge? 135 Berger LRHT bullets, and I have 6.5 StaBall, Varget, H4350, AA4350, IMR 4350, Superformance, and SW Precision powders.

I've also never used bushing dies before, and when I sized a case the neck didn't size all the way down to the shoulder. I'm using a Hornady match FL bushing die with a SAC .282 bushing. Is this normal? New Lapua 6.5x47 brass.
    So I’ve used 6.5 staball,rl16,h4350,and varget. I am currently running 38 grains of varget which I ran up to 39grwithout pressure signs in both peterson and lapua brass. Varget and h4350 shot the tightest groups and es and sd. H4350 got me 2850 at 40.5 gr and varget gets 2920 with 38.1 gr my neck tension is .282 and I just got a .280 bushing because it seems to need a little more tension. Varget has es of 12.8fps and sd 4.75fps

I shot a few rounds today with SW Precision powder. Velocity was higher than H4350 with a lower powder charge.

38.1gr shot an average velocity of 2868fps over 9 shots. This is the same load as my 6.5 Creedmoor with 130gr Berger OTM bullets which averages 2807fps.

I didn't have time to try Varget, but my experience with SW Precision and Varget is they are very close to the same velocity for a given caliber and charge weight. Almost interchangeable.

Next I'm going to try the other 4350 powders I have on the shelf. AA4350, IMR4350, and Ramshot Hunter. I may try Superformance as well.

Next I'm going to try the other 4350 powders I have on the shelf. AA4350, IMR4350, and Ramshot Hunter. I may try Superformance as well.
    Hate to dig up an old post, but I'm wondering if you ever got around to trying AA/IMR 4350s in your 25x47. I'm looking at building a new rig for next year and x47 family is on the short list.

Not yet, but I will try some this weekend. I'll probably use Berger 133 hunting bullets since my 135gr stock is running low. I don't think 2gr will make much difference in bullet weight.

AA4350 and IMR4350 are not ideal powders for this caliber. I couldn't find load data for wither using these powders so I started low at 37.8gr for both powders. I stopped at 40.2gr for AA4350 and only got 2724fps with signs of pressure, and the powder was slightly compressed.

With IMR4350 I stopped at 39gr due to pressure signs, and velocity was only 2720fps. This powder charge was also slightly compressed.

Here are my results over a magnetospeed and all charges weighed using a Chargemaster.

AA4350:
    37.8 2616
    38.1 2592
    38.4 2620
    38.7 2652
    39 2644
    39.3 2672
    39.6 2718
    39.9 2749
    40.2 2724 Pressure signs (heavy bolt lift and slight ejector swipe)

IMR4350:
    37.8 2637
    38.1 2640
    38.4 2687
    38.7 2677
    39 2720 I stopped here due to heavy bolt lift and slight ejector swipe.

I won't be testing any more powders for the foreseeable future. I sold my Superformance powder and I'm going to stick with 38.1gr of SW Precision powder. I've trued it out to 1022yds and I'm happy with the speed, accuracy, and consistency.

Reactions: 46caliber
    Try RL-16 if you’re looking for a little more speed. I haven’t tried it yet, I prefer VarGet, H4350 in mine with the 135 LRHT/133 Hunting Bullet. But like all Reloader powders they tend to produce more velocity.

Last edited:
    135 bergers .015-.025 off (surprise surprise) a arbitrary measurement I took, and it’s stupid accurate.

Try to keep it around 2700fps in a lapua case.

I’d say a given speed with a given charge of h4350 but I just cracked a new jug and it’s a good 30-40fps difference from the last, so it doesn’t pay,

I dunno 37.3-38.0 grains.

I’ve been using 38.8g of SW4350 in my 25XC. 135 Berger
    Getting 2650 and I love it slow. It’s great!
    I’m about ready to try SW Precision however. I’d like to get into the 2700’s.

I’m 90% sure this will be my next barrel. I don’t see any FL dies available yet so I’m assuming everyone is necking down using 6.5x47 dies with a 25 cal bushing. Since most bushings don’t size the entire neck as mentioned earlier, is anyone having to neck turn or has that not been a problem?

Anyone tried necking up Peterson 6x47 brass with an expander mandrel?

I’ve been using 38.8g of SW4350 in my 25XC. 135 Berger
    Getting 2650 and I love it slow. It’s great!
    I’m about ready to try SW Precision however. I’d like to get into the 2700’s.
    How do you like the xc? I have considered it over the 25x47 and 25needsmore

How do you like the xc? I have considered it over the 25x47 and 25needsmore
    It was a no brainier for me since I already had 6xc dies, brass, etc.
    Picked up a reamer from blackjack about 4 yrs ago. Messed around with 6.5 StaBall off and on for a few years very sparingly. Got the barrel broke in eventually. Never did have success with StaBall/ 131BJ combo.
    When Berger dropped the 135 I got back into it. Tested with H4350 and it’s been a completely different cartridge no surprise.
    I’m now using SWPrecision under a Berger in new Peterson SRP brass w/ 450’s.
    It’s a hammer no joke. Eventually I may consider the 25gt but I don’t need to at all.
    This is a hell of a backup cartridge and is quickly becoming my favorite.
    25xc vs 25/47 is like splitting hairs. Brass and dies are available so just pick one and run it.
    All the finicky nature the 6xc has went out the window with the newer bullet/powder combos.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
    Reactions: Quietguy88
    It was a no brainier for me since I already had 6xc dies, brass, etc.
    Picked up a reamer from blackjack about 4 yrs ago. Messed around with 6.5 StaBall off and on for a few years very sparingly. Got the barrel broke in eventually. Never did have success with StaBall/ 131BJ combo.
    When Berger dropped the 135 I got back into it. Tested with H4350 and it’s been a completely different cartridge no surprise.
    I’m now using SWPrecision under a Berger in new Peterson SRP brass w/ 450’s.
    It’s a hammer no joke. Eventually I may consider the 25gt but I don’t need to at all.
    This is a hell of a backup cartridge and is quickly becoming my favorite.
    25xc vs 25/47 is like splitting hairs. Brass and dies are available so just pick one and run it.
    All the finicky nature the 6xc has went out the window with the newer bullet/powder combos.

Besides, why shoot more powder for the similar speeds 25creed/2547/25xc/25GT etc….

Hope that helps
    Yeah, I had thought about doing a 6xc. Because tubbs sells srp Peterson brass cheaper than I can generally get creed or 47 brass.

How are you liking the varget/precision powder?

Honestly, I had thought about running a 40* shoulder and reducing the taper on 6xc. Blowing it out and stepping into the 25cal. However, it may just be more sensible to run a creed outright then.

The xc is about 0.010" more narrow than the creed at shoulder.

More or less as a fuck off.. I hate Hornady. Figured it would run same as the others. Doing a 260ai necked down to 25 is just a bit more than I need.

Regardless, I appreciate the insight. Any and all information you are willing to share is greatly appreciated.

My thoughts had been an improved 6xc to 25cal, 24 to 26" barrel. Run on that new arc coupedegrace with aw mags. Really only need it to make 1200yards at sea level. Tossing between a 24" barrel and suppression or 26" with howitzer brake.

This thread and a few friends I compete with have talked me into going down this rabbit hole. Berger 135's and a 25x47L pre-fit barrel should be delivered today for my impact 737. Brass has been necked down from new using my 6.5x47L die with pass through a .283 and then a .279 bushing to give me .0025-.003" neck tension.

My plan is to land somewhere around 2700fps after its broken in and will probably start with N150.

This thread and a few friends I compete with have talked me into going down this rabbit hole. Berger 135's and a 25x47L pre-fit barrel should be delivered today for my impact 737. Brass has been necked down from new using my 6.5x47L die with pass through a .283 and then a .279 bushing to give me .0025-.003" neck tension.

My plan is to land somewhere around 2700fps after its broken in and will probably start with N150.
    Why only 2700? I was told the 47 case would push up to 2900fps. Generally most people were saying 2820ish was a good area?

Several reasons but first understand I am using this primarily for use in PRS competition.
    It'll have soft recoil and time of flight to help me recover in time to catch my impacts while keeping pressures low so my barrel life will be long and load consistency will remain stable throughout weather extremes.

I may speed it up a little after I have some time with it but at 2700 it'll significantly outperform my current load that I am using in my 6GT with regard to the wind.

Several reasons but first understand I am using this primarily for use in PRS competition.
    It'll have soft recoil and time of flight to help me recover in time to catch my impacts while keeping pressures low so my barrel life will be long and load consistency will remain stable throughout weather extremes.

I may speed it up a little after I have some time with it but at 2700 it'll significantly outperform my current load that I am using in my 6GT with regard to the wind.
    Unsure how the report goes, but there is a fellow selling 145gr 25cal bullets under blackhole bullets. I was thinking that using a hot rodded 6xc parent case pushing those 145's at 2600-2700fps would be pretty solid.

Spoke with Mitchell over at Sierra a few days back. They may bring the a high bc 25cal to table. Pending.

Yeah, I had thought about doing a 6xc. Because tubbs sells srp Peterson brass cheaper than I can generally get creed or 47 brass.

How are you liking the varget/precision powder?

Honestly, I had thought about running a 40* shoulder and reducing the taper on 6xc. Blowing it out and stepping into the 25cal. However, it may just be more sensible to run a creed outright then.

The xc is about 0.010" more narrow than the creed at shoulder.

More or less as a fuck off.. I hate Hornady. Figured it would run same as the others. Doing a 260ai necked down to 25 is just a bit more than I need.

Regardless, I appreciate the insight. Any and all information you are willing to share is greatly appreciated.

My thoughts had been an improved 6xc to 25cal, 24 to 26" barrel. Run on that new arc coupedegrace with aw mags. Really only need it to make 1200yards at sea level. Tossing between a 24" barrel and suppression or 26" with howitzer brake.
    I agree that the brass price makes it attractive. I run almost exclusively Peterson now in everything and I love it.
    I just tested SWPrecision and I’m happy with it over the SW4350. 100fps faster now basically. 2750.
    I’m also using it for PRS so keeping it soft and slow. Ran up to 37.5g 2815 with no pressure before I had to quit shooting.
    SW is slower than Varget so I believe there’s more left in the tank especially with Varget.

I think it’s be interesting to mess with the case but I agree probably unnecessary.

I agree that the brass price makes it attractive. I run almost exclusively Peterson now in everything and I love it.
    I just tested SWPrecision and I’m happy with it over the SW4350. 100fps faster now basically. 2750.
    I’m also using it for PRS so keeping it soft and slow. Ran up to 37.5g 2815 with no pressure before I had to quit shooting.
    SW is slower than Varget so I believe there’s more left in the tank especially with Varget.

I think it’s be interesting to mess with the case but I agree probably unnecessary.

Appreciate you. What barrel length?

I am to understand that the sw precision is a little slower than varget and that leaves you suspecting it could push a little faster than the 2815fps you hit with 37.5gr?

Is it relatively temp stable and meters well?

I agree, just running 2750fps that is plenty of oomph for me. When viewing 59* at sea level.

Absolutely no point to monkey around with the case. Expand the neck, load it and play.

Reactions: Fat Dark Earth
    Appreciate you. What barrel length?

I am to understand that the sw precision is a little slower than varget and that leaves you suspecting it could push a little faster than the 2815fps you hit with 37.5gr?

Is it relatively temp stable and meters well?

I agree, just running 2750fps that is plenty of oomph for me. When viewing 59* at sea level.

Absolutely no point to monkey around with the case. Expand the neck, load it and play.

24” Bartlein

Yes that’s been my experience with SWP vs Varget. Former being slower by 30-50fps.
    I have a metric ton of the stuff so I’m trying to use it. It’s working well in my AutoTricklers and so far has been very consistent in this cartridge.

I do think there’s more in the tank with Varget but it would be for the info more than anything at this point for me.
    I think I’ve found my powder/bullet combo for this cartridge.
    Hope all this helps. Happy to answer any other questions

24” Bartlein

Yes that’s been my experience with SWP vs Varget. Former being slower by 30-50fps.
    I have a metric ton of the stuff so I’m trying to use it. It’s working well in my AutoTricklers and so far has been very consistent in this cartridge.

I do think there’s more in the tank with Varget but it would be for the info more than anything at this point for me.
    I think I’ve found my powder/bullet combo for this cartridge.
    Hope all this helps. Happy to answer any other questions
    So you are going to stick with the precision powder even after burning the current stockpile off?

You are saying that varget will run more velocity over SWP.

Roger. I have considered the SWP and even the n150/155/160 powders.

So you are going to stick with the precision powder even after burning the current stockpile off?

You are saying that varget will run more velocity over SWP.

Roger. I have considered the SWP and even the n150/155/160 powders.
    I’m going to stick with this speed node. I’ve got quite a bit of this stuff and will most likely burn out my barrel before I’m done with it.
    But I’ll search for that node in the future for sure.

varget is faster in my experience yes absolutely.

I’ve seen folks have great success with those powder options.
    Hope things go smoothly for ya!

I’m 90% sure this will be my next barrel. I don’t see any FL dies available yet so I’m assuming everyone is necking down using 6.5x47 dies with a 25 cal bushing. Since most bushings don’t size the entire neck as mentioned earlier, is anyone having to neck turn or has that not been a problem?

Anyone tried necking up Peterson 6x47 brass with an expander mandrel?
    Just buy a SAC Modular die and a .280 shoulder/neck bushing. Easiest method ever and you’ll be on your way to the fast track.

I’m getting 2,850-2,880 w/41.2 H4350 and depending on the primer used. But I also have a custom reamer that has a .195” FB.

I’m using 2.820” COAL with the 135 LRHT @.050” off and still not compressing powder. But I also have a 27” bbl.

@Fat Dark Earth That was shot numbers 31-61 through the barrel.

Jumping forward now

I took 33.0gr of n150 with the 135gr hybrids to a match last Sunday first pic was before the match minus the cold clean bore... second pic will be after 110 rnds were fired. Temperature from beginning to end was in increase of about 20 degrees. And the barrel had just under 180 rounds on it at the start of the day... also, this is with Virgin brass. So I expect sd to tighten up on the next firing.
    20240324_081025.jpg
    20240324_141200.jpg

Last edited:
    40.6 H4350 in 24” proof @ 5000’ = 2870. Slight crunch on the powder when seating 133 Berger at .020 off w .005 neck tension.