• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

26 nosler

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
6.5 based on 7mm ultra mag 140 grain
Bullets 3300+ fps.... Is this somebody's
Effort at George's 6.5's it would seem like
There's another caliber getting very much
The same velocitys? The major question
Will be brass avilibilty.... I'll be watching
This very closely...

The major question will be barrel life. The only thing this cartridge effectively does that the 6.5 SAUM doesn't is make 6.5x284 shooters feel better about how quickly their throats are eroding.

I also wanted to know the differences between the 2 cartridges. As someone that would truly use this as a hunting caliber in a rifle that would probably not be shot more than 1,000 rounds in it's life, barrel life won't matter. What would matter to me is which round will be commercially loaded and available to purchase for the next 20 years.

The 26 Nosler will hold 90 grains of H-1000 when filled to the body/shoulder junction. How much does the 6.5 SAUM hold?

The major question will be barrel life. The only thing this cartridge effectively does that the 6.5 SAUM doesn't is make 6.5x284 shooters feel better about how quickly their throats are eroding.

Amen to that! I'm not sure what's so special about another massively overbore cartridge. The .264 Win Mag is a great round too if you don't care about barrel life.

.264 Win Mag is a barrel burner. This is even more so.

I have a heavy .264 WM that I like a lot. But I don't shoot it a lot.

Talked to a guy who had a 26 Nosler at sportsman show. First thing I asked, and yes nothing new its a burner also. If they do the same thing, which as better components available?..

Bubb,

The 26 Nosler is essentially the 375 Ruger necked down to accept 6.5mm bullets. As to component availability, the brass is Nosler and the bullets are Nolser so it's bound to be aligned with their production needs and schedules. It's in house so I would believe that they have an easier time with production that those who are trying to source components from more than one supplier.

Regards.

Bubb,

The 26 Nosler is essentially the 375 Ruger necked down to accept 6.5mm bullets.

Regards.

the 26 Nosler is not a 375 Ruger necked down !

it has been confirmed that it is based on the Rem Ultra Mag case shortened to 2.590"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
As for being a barrel burner so was the 6.5 S. At first
Till the got the freebore and powders worked out. I'm sure
If you do the research George did on powders and pressure
You'd be fine. I Don't care what any body says there is
ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat. If George can get
Those speeds with out pressure and good barrel life
Some one else can and will also.

As for being a barrel burner so was the 6.5 S. At first
Till the got the freebore and powders worked out. I'm sure
If you do the research George did on powders and pressure
You'd be fine. I Don't care what any body says there is
ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat. If George can get
Those speeds with out pressure and good barrel life
Some one else can and will also.
If you do the powder and pressure research concerning barrel life coupled with accuracy, then you will find there is about "yay" much of "fill in the blank" powder that can be burnt in "x" bore diameter x 22"-26". You will also find that relatively short and fat powder columns burn more efficiently than their long thin counterparts. The size of the case relative to the size of the powder column will effect pressure inversely. Although, small amounts of slow burning powder in large cases can and have caused detonation so there is a limit to the efficacy of increasing case dimensions. In addition accuracy is most likely with repeatable ignition of powder columns of exactly the same size in exactly the same position within the case. You will also find that shoulder angle and neck length have a direct impact on barrel life. The reason the SAUM and WSM cartridges are exciting is because the shape and size of both the powder column and the case itself are near to ideal for .25-.30" bores of approximately 24-26" in length if magnum type performance and long barrel life are your desire. Alot of variables have come together with this 6.5 SAUM to form a real sweet spot using the components we have at our disposal to date. The old adage that there is a price to pay for velocity has been, to a degree, overturned. With the less than .26" neck on that 26 Nosler case and a bore size to powder capacity ratio that "overbore" I think you can expect <1000 rounds of barrel life if you take it easy, less than 700 if you push it, and you may only exceed SAUM velocities by 50-75 fps. I'm not trying to flame you or throw water on your fire, but that cartridge is probably only going to give 700 rounds of accurate barrel life.

Jakelly, that is the best wrote reply I ever read! Well said, I got every word of your intent, and I'll take that to the bank. I'm not in for a 700 round build, so I guess it back to waiting on more brass to show up for the 6.5S

Who cares, build it, shoot it, rebarrel, repeat. Gunsmiths need to eat, too ya know!

PS---I have a 6.5WSM