• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 26" to 24"

newby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Rep of Ireland
The standard sps barrel length is 26", if you were going to cut it down to 24", using a lathe obviously, how would you maintain the integrity of the rifling at the muzzle, and also recrowning the barrel??

Re: 26" to 24"

Saw off 1 7/8" in a power band saw
Chuck up in your lathe (I use a 4 jaw chuck [I use a guage pin in the muzzle to indicate to ] and a "spider" at the back of the headstock indicate to your tolerances)
Face off until smooth
Cut recess / crown
Chamfer OD
Deburr

If your turning tool is set correctly you should not have any damage to the inside of the barrel. For that kind of operation I usually set mine at a 45 degree angle to clean up the face / muzzle.

Re: 26" to 24"

What Victor said. However, I use a cut off tool on my tool post to trim the length.

If you do not have a rear spider, you can build a fixture and turn between centers. This would be a piece of round stock with the barrel riding on 8 bolts. 4 in the front and 4 in the rear of the fixture. This way you can dial it in.

Also, since most 4 jaw chucks have flat jaws, the barrel tends to want to bend when you are indicating it in using a rear spindle spider. This can solved with either a chuck side spider or a small rounded bushing fit over the barrel where the chuck would contact it.

This type of operation whether threading the muzzle or crowning is really a specialized job in machine work and to do a quality job in a reasonable amount of time, you need to machine the right fixtures for each thing you do.

I did see Daryl Holland in a video use a pilot crowning tool on one of his builds. It had a pilot bushing with a 45 degree chamfer behind it. He chucked it up in the tailstock and ran it in the muzzle. It looked like a deburring tool for a screw hole.