• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 260 20" barrel report

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Got the rifle back the other day. I cut the barrel down from 30" to 20". I was expecting to lose about 200 to 300 fps. I sighted the rifle in at 100 yards and took it to my 800 yard line.
I had a 24" 260 about 1 year ago and the ups was 18 moa at 800. I figured I would start somewhere around there and adjust from there. I came up 18.75 moa. Shot to the left of the target. Came up .25 moa and to the right .75 moa and was hammer the target on the second round.
I have not chrono the gun but by 800 yard dope figuring about 2830 fps. I would have thought the rifle would have lost more than that. Here is the gun data.

Suregon action
krieger 8.5
badger brake
M-4 stock
S&B 4x16
2010-12-18_18-01-23_736.jpg

2010-12-18_18-00-56_903.jpg

2010-12-18_18-01-40_960.jpg

2010-12-18_18-01-23_736-2-1.jpg

Re: 260 20" barrel report

nice that is good to know i was thinking of doin a 260 with a 20" barrel

Interesting post Dar...I would have expected more loss than that as well. What load are you running?

Here is the load data.

Lapua 139s naked
Br2 primers
48.2 grs H4831SC
Nos brass
o-give 2.333

I will try moly 123s in the next week. I think they will be around 16 moas with a pet load I have. I think I can get them in the mid 2900s. I would be extremely happy with that. I will post results on that load.

I appreciate the moisture submersion test you did with your rifle, but you can scrape the moss off now
wink.gif

Thanks for the info, I want to re-barrel my 700 LTR to a .260 but don't want to make a lance out of it...

This gives me hope that maybe a 20-22" barrel with a brake will be good enough for my feeble purposes...

I plan on shooting the 123s maybe today to see how they preform at 800 yards. I will post the results from that. The temp outside isn't to bad today. It is in the high 20s with a little wind. I got the barrel cleaned up for molys.

Can you still feed from your maginzine. When I seat my bullets to fit my mag (AI MAG) I am compressing 45 grns of 4831 SC.

Yes, I feed from the mag. It should fit with room to spare. I have about 20 mags and they all will fit that load. The mag should run out of room about 2.900 .

Just got back from 800 yards. Hitting steel with comes ups at 16.5 moa. Temp in the mid to high 20s. I really haven't lost that much with this rifle. Very please with the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dar,
...I thought H4831SC would need more barrel to get all fired up.
</div></div>

I thought so too but noticed some of the guys are having good luck with it in the 308 sized cases. I'm planning to work with this powder in my 243 and 7-08 just to see. The grain size is virtually the same as H4350 and I think it may have some promise.

H4831sc is my preferred powder for the 260. I went with h4350 for the 123s. This weekend I will try the 123s out at 1100 yards. I would be interested to see. So far everything looking great. It makes the rifle lighter and more manageable. The badger brake works like a champ.

After reading your results,I'm going to shorten my 260 now too.
Have you Compared recoil + accuracy with/without the brake on ?
STEVE

With the123s shoots lights out. The badger FTE brake knocks out almost all the recoil. I have not shot it without the brake. It is still only a 260. I was more worried about muzzle blast than recoil.

I will post more results on this later this week.

My 260 has hardly any recoil as it is and I think taking six inches off it won't make it unbearable to shoot either.I do alot of shooting in semi enclosed areas,so a muzzle brake will be an issue for me.I look foward to reading more of your range reports,but now I have to take my barrel off and get it to my smith.
STEVE

I built the 20" with the FTE brake so if I run a can. It would be easier to take on and off. The shorter length with a can would be a great plus with the gun.

I was looking at some spare barrels that I have laying around last night thinking about a shorty build. After seeing the performance that you are continuing to get, I may just go ahead and do it. Thanks for posting.

You need to chrono.....A 139 out of that short of a barrel at that speed just doesn't sound right.

Shot today at 1100 yards with 123 lapuas moly. My moas was 32 on the ups. I'am thinking somewhere around 2970 fps. It is a hot load but still. Here is a brief video of the gun shooting to show recoil with the brake. This was taken by my son at 1100 yards. It was cold as hell with the wind. Shot very briefly.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gAu4CS-RFF8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gAu4CS-RFF8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Jesus I just ran the numbers....it is possible to get 2800 out of a barrel that short.....Granted you look like your running 68k psi. What are you getting 1 maybe 2 reloads out of the brass?

Thats a insanely hot load.

Any chance of seeing a pic of your 260 brass after its fired?

The little bloke in the video is priceless:

"It's a hit...at 1100"

Classic

This is my 4th time on this brass reloading. Remember I'am shooting 123s Moly.
The little guy is always down for stuff like this. I have been bless with him. He keeps me laughing.

On the 24" it was an 8 twist bartlien barrel. I got with the 139s 2790. I could not get any more out of it. It was a slow tube.

Now this 20" is the 30" cut down. It is a Krieger 8.5 twist barrel. I never chrono it. Just shot and use my dope. The 20" is performing better than the old 24" barrel did.

I recently rebarrel the 24" with a bartlien 8 twist 26" barrel. This barrel is a lot faster than the old one. I'am getting with the 123s about 3100fps out of it.

On Quickload program it is showing 99.69 powder burnt in the barrel. I do understand take this with a grain of salt. But I have not seen much difference in FPS. When you get to 18" and below the program is showing a loss in speed.
The loss between a 26" and 20" is about 30fps per inch. So you would be looking at or around 120 fps. Now look at moly for you bullet selection and increasing the velocity back to close to the same speed.

Great video.Your son's a real trooper.My barrel was a 26" shilen 8 twist.I'm not going to put a brake on it for now.I shoot 140 grn SST's and 120 SMK's goin around 2700-2800 fps,so I'll see if the 6" difference in length will effect the velocity.Once I get the barrel back,it's heading down to CDI for some bottom metal.
Time to get reloading.

Thanks for the report. I have been trying to decide between 18.5 and 20 for my 260. I think I'm going to start with 20 and see from there. Great info!

I put the can on it yesterday. Handles great. I still haven't chrono the gun yet. A little cold and the chrono is down.
Shot deer with the 123 Lapuas. Puts them down.

I shot the 260 over the chrono today. Surprising results. I will shoot again at longer distances to confirm results. But this is kinda where I thought I was from previous shooting. Here is the video.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGjnXdNWxRw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGjnXdNWxRw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I find this project very interesting and am thinking a 20" 260 is going to be in my future. Any thoughts on what causes a "slow" barrel?

Thank you for the information. Very interesting. I too have a long barreled 260 that I want to shorten. What contour barrel are you running?

I would think that a slow barrel would get 2900 to 3000 depending on how you load.

I like the medium palma barrels. I never did like weight. With the 260 an 8.5 twist shoots both 140s and 123s.

Were those chrony readings with the 123gr Scenars? What was your load for that? I don't have a .260 but I am curious.

This was with the 123 lapua's.
Basic components are:
Nos brass
FG210 pr
H4350
123 Scenars (moly)
It has shown great results with this combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find this project very interesting and am thinking a 20" 260 is going to be in my future. Any thoughts on what causes a "slow" barrel?</div></div>

slow barrels are a result of manufacturing,,,worn tooling,not so tight bore as was w/fresh tooling.....twist not being exact,stuff and circumstances that bleed off the spin and pressure.....this usually shows up at distance on paper.

I plan on making a couple of trips up there this year and shoot. I might even do some PDog shooting after the match.

Damn..that is smoking out of 20". nice setup.

Let me know what matches you guys are going to. I plan to attend more this year as long as work doesn't get in the way.

Will post when going to alliance.

I plan on shooting today at 800 yards to check the chrono results. It should be accurate. I will shoot 2 of my 260s with the same ammo. One 260 has a 26' barrel and of course the 20" barrel. It should be about the same according to the chrono results. I will post later today if the weather holds out.

Thanks for taking the time to share your information, looking forward to future updates.

I thought my 24" barrel was going to hold me back, but if you are getting those results out of a 20" then I should be able to get plenty out of my 24".

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

thanx a lot for the report. it answered a lot of questions I had, now i know what to build.

Here is the results from shooting today at 800 yards. The wind was blowing constant 5 mph with guest to 17mph and then nothing. Weird shooting conditions. But the results was what the chrono showed. I don't take the chrono results to serious until confirm by shooting data. Hope this helps with making a decision on barrel length.
A fair number with the 123s should be around 2950 to 3025. I'am shooting a hot load in both guns. I would think there is not a lot you would give up by cutting the barrel. I think the optima barrel length maybe 20 to 22" for the 260. The extra length does get you some but not much extra speed.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PyrYg9_QzBo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PyrYg9_QzBo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

DAR
nice work
I run a 20" suppressed 6.5x47 n 123AMAX perfect lil tak rifle n kills pigs DRT
I run a hot load of RL17 42.8 but 2900fps is all i can make confirmed via come ups @ 1k
3000fps is smokin if infact your getting that, i gave up on chronos long ago. Readings where always suspect so just reversed calc fps from come up n QL.
Gotta luv a short barreled 6.5, even more with a CAN

That is good numbers for 6.5x47. The moly seems to help with the velocity.It seems to give a little bit more out of the gun.

I do tune each load to each rifle. The load I shot in the 20" needs to be drop about 2 tenths of a gr. But to show how the rifle preformed. I shot the same load that goes in my 26" gun. This way it would be a fair example of how the 20" work.