• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260-.243-6.5 grendel

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
I have a .308 bolt rifle, and a 6.5 grendel on the way. I am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on another grendel, a .260, .243, or a .308 in the large AR platforms. I have 3 .223's already, I don't have a need for another. I need three more for replacement settlement on a house fire and while I had 5 .223's I would like to diversify a little.

I want something the girlfriend can shoot, (which I know, the .223 will work for her) and something I can stretch out to 1K with.

I think one will be a 6.8 SPC in a SBR. so that leaves me with a decision on the last two.

What do you all suggest?

Would recoil in a gas rifle in one of the AR 10 platforms be manageable in one of the given calibers for the g.f?

Re: .260-.243-6.5 grendel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you all suggest?

Would recoil in a gas rifle in one of the AR 10 platforms be manageable in one of the given calibers for the g.f? </div></div>

I like the 6.5 Creedmore over the 260. The 243 would also be nice shooting the 105 Amax or 107 SMK out of an 8 twist.

Put a comp on whichever you choose and recoil will be very plesant.

I shot a 7.62 OBR at the LaRue range day and with a Surefire brake on the end it didnt have any more felt recoil than my 5.56 16in middy that has a Rainier XTC Comp

Check out the Mega MA-Ten receiver set, you can use the 20rd 7.62 Pmags and a Noveske barrel and bolt

Does your girlfriend actually like to shoot, or is that an excuss to get another gun? Kinda like how Homer bought Marge a bowling ball with his name on it!!

The Grendel is a 1000yd gun, so maybe you should build an AR in 6.5 Grendel and then you don't have to worry about another cartridge change. My 2 cents.

I have a grendel on order, to replace one that was lost in the fire. I only shot the first one about 60 rnds. before it burned. I ordered one from AA and to my knowledge they are 1:9 twist? I was under the impression that to reach 1k reliably, you need the heavier bullets, 130grn+. Thus needing a little more spin on them, something like 1:8. Which AA doesn't offer. I may be wrong, it has happened more than once.

I would like to try out an AR10 platform, and thought about a 308, then read up on the .260 a bit, and kind of liked it too.

Primary uses will be paper punching and varmit hunting.

And yes, she does like to shoot. Damn near out shoots me with the pistols (9mm & .22), the rifles we need to work on!
And yes another excuse to get another gun.

I like the idea of consolidating calibers, keeps shit simple, but I kind of want an AR10. I almost ordered a .308 and started reading about the .260.

ETA: I wouldn't rule out the 6.5 CM either though!

The AR platform is just so awesome that it almost doesn't matter what caliber you get - they're all so easy to shoot with the AR ergo's. I haven't tried the .260, but I've heard that it's a pretty hot and flat shooter. Sounds like fun, but semi-auto with those expensive rounds makes me cringe! It's like $12 a clip!

Have you read about the 6.5 Creedmore? I hear it's a pretty nice round as well, but a bit hard to find ammo. I'm personally finding that I can't even shoot my .308 to it's full potential, so why should I get some boutique round that costs more to shoot. I have a budy who can outshoot anyone I know with his .308 and he just laughs at me when I talk about a new round and says that I should stick with the basics. The sad part, is that I know he's right! But, it's so much fun to get new gear.

How many rifles is enough . . . one more!

Availability of the Creedmore brass is a hang up for me. That is one reason I haven't given it as much thought as the others.

Just a thought here, why not look at the x47Lap? You could more than likely get the VLDs to work with a .308 mag. It has VERY manageable recoil (from what I have heard), and it is also capable of a grand. Your lady will even be able to shoot it too.

SS

How pricey is it to shoot the 6.5 X47 Lapua? I know very little about the cardridge, although it is popular. Is Lapua the only brass manufacturer?

Lapua is the only brss mfg of the 6.5x47. Pricey but its also the best brass avalible.

The creedmore brass is avalible. If you're worried about it, buy 2 or 300 pcs and be done with it. The creedmore also has EXCELLENT factory long range loads avalible if you don't wat to reload right off the bat.

The 260 suffers from no favorable factory loads or factory rifles being avalible. I think the case design of the creedmore makes much better use of a 2.800" mag length.

I would probably go 260 in an AR-10. You can neck down 308 brass if you can't find specific 260 brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a grendel on order, to replace one that was lost in the fire. I only shot the first one about 60 rnds. before it burned. I ordered one from AA and to my knowledge they are 1:9 twist? I was under the impression that to reach 1k reliably, you need the heavier bullets, 130grn+. Thus needing a little more spin on them, something like 1:8. Which AA doesn't offer. I may be wrong, it has happened more than once.</div></div>

I shoot my Grendel out to 1000 yds using 108 gr Lapuas and have had a lot of success. The 108s are still supersonic out to about 1150 yds.

How about the .243 AI, have done a little bit of reading on an article about it and the people doing the work up on it were pretty pleased with it. The woman shot at a target 650 yards away partially covered with thick brush, the X, and the round penetrated the brush and hit the center. The editor of swat or shooting times had her stand up to laze the shot and was astonished at the distance and the round used. Excellent distance, flat shooting and good penetration along with manageable recoil. Also something to think about, take care and have good days.

I would do another Ar15 in 6mmAR which is the 6.5 grendel necked down to 6mm, flat shooter and super accurate. you could start with just the upper since you already have a few lowers.
Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would do another Ar15 in 6mmAR which is the 6.5 grendel necked down to 6mm, flat shooter and super accurate. you could start with just the upper since you already have a few lowers.
Hope this helps. </div></div>

+1. IMO Better than the Grendel. Whitley builds a fantastic rifle. I'm ordering his 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved.

The 6mm BRX is also another interesting one to look at for the AR15.

What am I looking at for barrel life on the Cm, .260, 6mmAR, and the AI? I don't really want a 1k rnd count and rebarrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a grendel on order, to replace one that was lost in the fire. I only shot the first one about 60 rnds. before it burned. I ordered one from AA and to my knowledge they are 1:9 twist? I was under the impression that to reach 1k reliably, you need the heavier bullets, 130grn+. Thus needing a little more spin on them, something like 1:8. Which AA doesn't offer. I may be wrong, it has happened more than once.</div></div>

I shoot my Grendel out to 1000 yds using 108 gr Lapuas and have had a lot of success. The 108s are still supersonic out to about 1150 yds. </div></div>

How hard are you pushing the 108's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would probably go 260 in an AR-10. You can neck down 308 brass if you can't find specific 260 brass. </div></div>

This is a big plus IMO. .308 & .243 are pretty available locally. I am a winchester brass guy, I know Lapua is the good stuff, but damn, talk about $$$. Probably going to rule out the 6.5 X 47 Lapua. And move the Cm down the line a little further.

You can neck down .308 brass if you like, but when times are tight, 7-08 tends to be more easily found, and more easily necked down. So, why wait 'til then?

Greg

While it is possible to neck down other cases - who actually wants to mess with that?!? I tried necking and trimming the 7.62x39 to make Grendel brass and it was slow and not worth the effort. Some of these rounds are splitting hairs when it comes to accuracy, so my humble opinion is to stick with something that has more readily available ammo/brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard are you pushing the 108's? </div></div>

I'm using Ramshot X-Terminator and get 2750 fps using the 108 Lapua from my 22 inch barrel.

Because of the high BC on the Lapua projectiles you don't have to drive them very fast to stay supersonic at 1000 yds. Even at an MV of 2500 fps the 108 Lapua is still supersonic at 1k. It's a great bullet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a big plus IMO. .308 & .243 are pretty available locally. I am a winchester brass guy, I know Lapua is the good stuff, but damn, talk about $$$. Probably going to rule out the 6.5 X 47 Lapua. And move the Cm down the line a little further. </div></div>

Hornady also makes good quality Grendel brass. The price of Lapua brass has come down slightly. While it's expensive the brass is of exceptional quality and you easily get upto 10 reloads a case out of them.

Quick tangent, speaking of Hornady brass, does anyone know where to get the Hornady Grendel ammo? Midway is out of stock, and I've tried a couple others with no luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick tangent, speaking of Hornady brass, does anyone know where to get the Hornady Grendel ammo? Midway is out of stock, and I've tried a couple others with no luck. </div></div>

Try posting on the Grendel forum. Someone there might know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What am I looking at for barrel life on the Cm, .260, 6mmAR, and the AI? I don't really want a 1k rnd count and rebarrel. </div></div>

Anything AI is likely to be a barrel burner. I would stay away from them if you intend to put lots of rounds down the barrel.

Before "pulling the trigger" on something, shoot it first. And I would go with the one she shoots best. That's will likely be the 15. Recoil impulses are more easily managed. Get Scott here to build you a 223 with an 8 twist 22" barrel to shoot 77's from, or a Grendel in a different configuration than your present one.

Another idea is to get your adjuster to let you guy one REALLY fancy one that would otherwise equal the cost of the three??

Or take the other two in scope, i.e.; S&B??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does your girlfriend actually like to shoot, or is that an excuss to get another gun? Kinda like how Homer bought Marge a bowling ball with his name on it!!
</div></div>Lol, I'm halfway done a pricey SPR under this excuse, and she'll probably never shoot it!

I love my grendels I have one 18" upper for hunting (specifically for cougars) then for my other I had brux make me a 28" 1/8.5 twist laser beam. I had them extend the gas block an extra 2" as well with the 28". I consistently get 2.5" groups at 500 yards with the 123 lapua scenars. True ctc groups. If I really really tried I might be able to bring that in even more. Its easy to load not picky at all. I have loaded 95 gn vmax's with the same performance. 200 yard groups with the vmax were unbelievable. Really I don't dare post them in fear of being laughed off the net. You can't go wrong with the grendel. That being said I have a DPMS LR-308 24" it is a lot of fun but I shoot my grendel way more. No doubt in my mind the grendel is more accurate at any distance. Another tid bit my grendel has the 10-40 Barska on it and my LR-308 has my 12-42 benchrest nightforce so even with the lesser glass the grendel still came out on top no competition. Another consideration is a 7mm like a straight 284 in a "LR-308" platform. That would take you out to 1500 pretty easy.

One more thing about ease of shooting on monday I was at the range and there were a couple of very nice guys sighting in their hunting rifle. They were nice like I said but not the best marksmen in the world. Did I mention they were nice? After they got their 7 mag going I let them take a crack with the 28". I exp the hold over with barska and let them at it first round at 500 yards ding on the 8" plate. The guy got up and looked like he won the lottery. Completly shocked he just kept repeating how little recoil there was and how he had never dreamed of shooting at that distance. Nothing like showing someone that 500 yards is not as far as they think! My wife a tiny little hispanic girl has no prob shooting the grendel and hitting the plate at 500 makes her entire day.

6mm AR Man!!!! Comparable to 6br... everyone knows the 6br rocks. It's worth looking into I want one real bad. You don't have to use a short action (.308 based ) lower either it uses a standard AR 15 lower. Yeah I know its Based off the grendal check out Robert whitleys web site 6mmAr. He has other variations too. 6mm Turbo ooooooooohhhhh...... nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm AR Man!!!! Comparable to 6br... everyone knows the 6br rocks. It's worth looking into I want one real bad. You don't have to use a short action (.308 based ) lower either it uses a standard AR 15 lower. Yeah I know its Based off the grendal check out Robert whitleys web site 6mmAr. He has other variations too. 6mm Turbo ooooooooohhhhh...... nice. </div></div>

I really want one of them 6mmAR turbos but damn that's a lot of money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want one of them 6mmAR turbos but damn that's a lot of money </div></div>

Worth every penny. It will shoot dime size groups all day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want one of them 6mmAR turbos but damn that's a lot of money </div></div>

Worth every penny. It will shoot dime size groups all day!
</div></div>

I pulled a few but here's a decent group on the right during load work up with my 6mmTurbo 40 degree.10 shots 105 JLK's.It was shot off the ground in the dirt in windy conditions.

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

compared to 223

I have a 19.5" AA Grendel that gets the 123gr Scenars on steel to 950yds @ 2530fps. I Can't shoot farther yet until someone makes a 30mm scopemount with 20moa built in. The rifle is light, short, has low recoil, and is fantastically accurate. You could definitely hit 1000yds reliably with a 24" barrel. Even the Wolf MPT ammo will print 1.5 moa, and if I pull the bullet and replace it with a 120gr SMK, it's sub moa. I have always wanted an AR10 in .243, so YOU should get one.

260 will last longer(barrel life) and send more weight down range, a 243 will have less drop and drift if 105s or 107s are used, both will smoke the Grendel by a long shot.

+1 on the 260 and 243 smoking a grendel but wasn't this a light recoiling rifle for the gf?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joker7940</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the 260 and 243 smoking a grendel but wasn't this a light recoiling rifle for the gf?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Bustin should maybe enlighten everyone about the AR15s he builds in 6mm BRX, which gets close to 243 velocities so I am told.

I don't think you can load the 243/260 cases with the long bullets and still get
them into an Ar10 mag. You will be single loading it. Hence Hornady designed the
creedmore , It will load with the 160's I believe and still fit the magazine.
As it hasn't been said to the OP, the grendel is on a ar15 and the others
on a ar10 platform.

260. I use 243 brass and neck up. Don't know about the "long" bullets fitting in the mag. I'm in the process of rebarrelling my DPMS to 260 now. The 260 in my Encore has very little recoil. You may not be able to call your shot, but if you want, you can add a brake, should be able to see your shot then.

A 243 wouldn't have as much recoil as the 260 and IMO can out shoot it, the downside is barrel life and the heavy AR10 platform. Most AR smiths have modified the chamber designs so when the long bullets are loaded to mag length they are .010-.020 off the lands.
As far as the 6BRX goes it is apx 100-120fps slower than a 243, probably more accurate using Lapua brass and can be used in a AR15. My 6BRX rifle is 12lbs with a 22" barrel with a .850 muzzle, Mk4 Leupold, UBR stock. Compare 105-107 bullets doing 3050fps from a 22-23" barrel to a 243 using the same bullets at 3150 from the same length barrel.
You'll see some Highpower shooters using the 6BR and BRX this coming year, I think I have sent out 12 in the last 4-6 weeks.
The 6.5BR should be a great combo hunting/target rifle shooting 123gr bullets at 2750 from a 20" barrel. I have a 6.5BRX too about 150fps faster than the BR but haven't had much time to test yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 243 wouldn't have as much recoil as the 260 and IMO can out shoot it, the downside is barrel life and the heavy AR10 platform. Most AR smiths have modified the chamber designs so when the long bullets are loaded to mag length they are .010-.020 off the lands.
As far as the 6BRX goes it is apx 100-120fps slower than a 243, probably more accurate using Lapua brass and can be used in a AR15. My 6BRX rifle is 12lbs with a 22" barrel with a .850 muzzle, Mk4 Leupold, UBR stock. Compare 105-107 bullets doing 3050fps from a 22-23" barrel to a 243 using the same bullets at 3150 from the same length barrel.
You'll see some Highpower shooters using the 6BR and BRX this coming year, I think I have sent out 12 in the last 4-6 weeks.
The 6.5BR should be a great combo hunting/target rifle shooting 123gr bullets at 2750 from a 20" barrel. I have a 6.5BRX too about 150fps faster than the BR but haven't had much time to test yet. </div></div>

Can you repost the video footage you took of you function checking your BRX. Also some of expamles of groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 243 wouldn't have as much recoil as the 260 and IMO can out shoot it, the downside is barrel life and the heavy AR10 platform. Most AR smiths have modified the chamber designs so when the long bullets are loaded to mag length they are .010-.020 off the lands.
The 6.5BR should be a great combo hunting/target rifle shooting 123gr bullets at 2750 from a 20" barrel. I have a 6.5BRX too about 150fps faster than the BR but haven't had much time to test yet. </div></div>

Can you repost the video footage you took of you function checking your BRX. Also some of expamles of groups. </div></div>
These are just 5 shots at 100yds to check the customers barrels before I send them out. The top is the best I have shot without a yanked shot the bottom would have been the best but I yanked 1.
1280527341748.jpg

P4080011-1.jpg

This one is from a 28" 6mmBR that had a .936 gas block and .920 muzzle dia, it was off balance or front heavy in the rest. Cold bore in low left.

DSC_0203.jpg

BRX function test video link

I am a huge Grendel fan for the very reason above--it is on the AR15 platform---way lighter and handier---yes I have an AR10
also but use it in a hunting stand setup---most who downplay a Grendel have not experienced it at all--am building a 14" truck
gun for all around use with a slickside upper---have done 16 and 22" on last builds---but more to the point here I have a 243 and a 260 that are extreme favorites also--but they are not AR15'S---
my little grandson (45lbs) shoots my 16 grendel--with an Enindine and brake itis no different than a 223 in recoil dept
---lower pressure and high B/C bullets equals long range performance and longer barrel life--oh and there is good ammo out
there for 260 that is match grade--my next build on the platform
is going to be one of the 6mm's--every caliber has its pros and cons--decide on the platform first for your use and said rifle will not become a safe queen