• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 AI body die for 7mm-08 AI

DuckWrestler404

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2022
Oregon,USA
Hey! Going deeper into 7-08 AI I need dies, right now I have access to 260 AI Redding body die for $38. And was wondering if itd work to fire form case, run it through 260 ai body die, then a 7mm-08 neck size or collet die? Thanks!

It should work fine depending on if the portion of the body die the neck goes into is big enough not to cause a problem. The opposite would be a concern for the neck die. If the body portion of the neck die isn't large enough in diameter to accommodate the larger body diameter it could be a problem. That being said you don't really need to use either to fire form unless you are starting with a different Caliber brass. I ran standard 7mm-08 for a while and just ran them through a expander mandrel to ensure they were not deformed. When I switched to lapua palma brass I used just a bushing nk die and sized it down enough to chamber for fire forming.

1664197535571.png

The collet die is good for squeezing necks inside a pretty small window. Its proabay not going to be very good for necking down 308 to 7mm. You are probably going to need a neck die.

It should work fine depending on if the portion of the body die the neck goes into is big enough not to cause a problem. The opposite would be a concern for the neck die. If the body portion of the neck die isn't large enough in diameter to accommodate the larger body diameter it could be a problem. That being said you don't really need to use either to fire form unless you are starting with a different Caliber brass. I ran standard 7mm-08 for a while and just ran them through a expander mandrel to ensure they were not deformed. When I switched to lapua palma brass I used just a bushing nk die and sized it down enough to chamber for fire forming.
I will be starting with 7-08 brass, I didnt think abt enough room inside the redding body die for the larger neck. I did contact Redding couple days ago to ask but no response yet. However on lee’s website they did say that the ackley improved cases use same collet die as the parent case. So ig if all else fails I can collet neck size for first firing after fire form until I get a full length Ackley Improved die.

I will be starting with 7-08 brass, I didnt think abt enough room inside the redding body die for the larger neck. I did contact Redding couple days ago to ask but no response yet. However on lee’s website they did say that the ackley improved cases use same collet die as the parent case. So ig if all else fails I can collet neck size for first firing after fire form until I get a full length Ackley Improved die.
I typically do a nk only sizing after the initial fire form then set up the bump die.

Reactions: GooseTackler
Do not use the 260ai die for 7-08ai. The hole in the die prior to the bushing is smaller than the one in the 7–08 die. Brass will never touch the bushing. Ask me how I know?? This was confirmed by Reading when I was having problems.

Reactions: spife7980
Do not use the 260ai die for 7-08ai. The hole in the die prior to the bushing is smaller than the one in the 7–08 die. Brass will never touch the bushing. Ask me how I know?? This was confirmed by Reading when I was having problems.
Thanks Redding just sent me a reply to my email this morning saying exactly what you said lol, Thanks guys!
C673E344-E763-4F63-93E5-FB49D0F06307.jpeg

Reactions: nickw