• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 AI

nightrider

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2002
Soon to be at Fort Campbell
ok, so i got a .260 Ackley with a 1-8.5 twist, 4 groove, 27" kreiger built about 2 years ago and need some help getting started with some reloads. yes, i said two years ago and finally getting started with load developement. please look left and you'll realize why. anyhow, that's where i am now but plan on getting into it hot and heavy when i get back. problem is that i'm having trouble finding a starting point. i'll be using the 140gr Berger VLD's. i've used the search function here and on benchrest.com and found a couple of loads using H4831 and H4831SC. would it be a safe bet that i could use any 260 Remington load listed in this section as a base?
appreciate the help guys (and possibly gals)

Re: .260 AI

Who chambered the rifle?

Any idea of OAL for 140 Bergers when touching or 0.010" into lands?

I'm guessing you are running RP brass and Fed 210/210M primers.

I would suggest you start about 41.5 gr of H4350 and work up to about 43.5gr of H4350 depending on your how much lead/free bore you have.

If you want to run H4831sc you'll be in the 44 to 47 gr range with 140 Bergers. I prefer H4350 but see what your barrel likes.

If you are running Lapua brass, drop powder charge by about 0.5 to 0.7 gr and make sure you turn neck so the section that was formerly shoulder is correct thickness. If you do not do this and your chamber has a neck diameter smaller than 0.299" it creates some issues.

FCS

yeah, doug paschall did all the work on this rifle. not sure if you've ever heard of doug but but he is mainly a benchrest-style gunsmith. he also reamed my dies using the same reamer. he cut me a bit of a deal on that so i'm extremely pleased with the work that he did.
yes, i'm running RP brass and 210M primers though if there's something better then i'm not afraid to change over.
i don't know the OAL for the bergers. i've only put about 70 rounds down this tube and that was merely just fireforming brass and barrel break-in.

Get in touch with Doug. He know his stuff.
Got three guys who shoot 260's at Oak Ridge and two use around 41.5/42 grains H4350 the other uses the same amount of N-160 all with Sierra 142 SMK's at 2790/2800. Lapua 243 brass necked up Federal 210GM. Good Shooting.

i know he does. that's why i sent it to him.
wink.gif
but i haven't been able to talk to him in about a year and a week.

Look here , http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html , there is ton's of info . The load data in the article was spot on for my rifle .
Never tried the 4350 in mine because the 4831sc worked so well .

Went with the 142's at the time as they were cheaper , the prices have changed and IIRC the 140's are cheaper now . in testing there was no accuracy difference between the two .

I am using the Rem brass and Fed 210m primers . The brass is soft and you end up with 3 or 4 firings before it won't hold a primer .I have no desire to start increasing case prep with necking up and turning brass so I will live with the brass .

I appreciate the help Mr. Ward. i've seen this link many times before. it, along with talking to doug paschall, are the main reasons that i got a 260 AI in the first place AND it is were i got the information pertaining to the H4831SC. i'm just looking for more options and i'm not too savey on picking out my own powder without the help of members from this board.
smile.gif

again, thank you for your help

A lot of people including me run H4350, I would think
You would be able to start with most any 260 load and throw it in a 260AI and start stepping it up to get the speed you want.

When I ran 4831SC it was a compressed load in a 260 pushing a 139 scenar
I didnt have any luck with it, but I didn't try very hard since I had a good shooting 142SMK LOAD.

Might even try RL-17